Male Desexing Implant

Erny

What an interesting thread.

Would love to hear from breeders who have had their dog done and then mated. I would hate to get the implant and then find out Darcy cant be bred.

I agree. I'd like to know what the sperm count was at the concluded 'term' of an implant, and how long it then took for sperm count to return to normal levels.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm back with photos for an update...

:laugh: a little embarrassed as I said that Bubba's hadnt shrunk all that much, but apparently I hadnt been paying attention lately as they have gotten a lot smaller than I had thought! The first photo is the 'before' photo and following are the 2 photos I took on the weekend (must have deleted the photo at 2 mths....sorry) which are of Bubba after 5 months with the implant.

Bubbanoimplant-1.jpg

Bubbaimplant5mths2.jpg

Bubbaimplant5mths1.jpg

They are definitely smaller and a lot tighter than they used to be.

The implant is supposed to last anywhere up to 12 months, but I will keep you all posted as to when his 'nads' are getting larger again, indicating that the implant is wearing off. We didnt do a sperm count before the implant, however we recently used him for an AI and his sperm was examined then and his count was extremely high, so when we use him again I will let you all know if this has changed, however probably wont be for another 6 months at least! Apparently they should recover full sperm production, even after long term use of the implant.

In regards to his behaviour he was never a dominating/aggressive/hard to control boy so nothing much has changed here, he is still interested in our young bitch who is due to come on heat very soon, although doesnt try and 'hump' her (actually it is the other way around :eek: ) so I will have to keep an eye on him just in case. He did always pay this sought of attention to the ladies however so it might just be that he is that kind of boy :o

Hope this info has helped, feel free to ask any more specific questions :mad

Edited by nellybly10

Hey at least you can be embarrassed with me :o The 2 perverted photo taking dog owners!!!

Eddie wasn't at all aggressive before but he was very quietly dominant

He is alot better now, but as I said, I think it's a combo of this and the change in our behaviour towards him

He went through a phase where he peed on my leg 3 times in total over a couple of weeks and that has not happened since (thank god)

Thanks Nellybly for those photos they certainly show a difference. This is great info for perspective users of this product. I'm very grateful to all the response. Looking forward to future and other photos

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Erny,

Our boy had the implant about 5 months ago. We noticed his temperament settled down a heck of a lot and he wasn't so stressed. He is a show dog, and although it doesn't condone its use, the CCC couldn't see any issues with us showing him. Mind you, they did say it was up to us to determine if it was fair and just to continue showing him. Our girl has just finished her season and while he still showed a fair bit of interest in her, it seemed he was a bit confused as to why he didn't find her so appealing as he did last time!! :( We still kept them separated for a couple of weeks during the day.

As for his "goolies", I think they have shrunk by at least a third.

I had a think about this and ive decided i would rather not get him done just in case. He isnt really proving to be a hard dog to own being entire and he is nearly 2 but will see how he goes as he hasnt fully matured yet.

Hi Erny,

... the CCC ... did say it was up to us to determine if it was fair

Thanks for that info. By the above quote, what do you mean about the CCC saying it was up to you to "determine if it was fair"? Are you talking about the political side of showing, or the 'fairness' on the dog? Either way, what wouldn't be fair about it?

We noticed his temperament settled down a heck of a lot and he wasn't so stressed.

I wonder (not knowing your dogs) if it was a lowering of 'drive' which gave the appearance of 'reduced stress'?

As for his "goolies", I think they have shrunk by at least a third.

It seems that most here who have reported on it have mentioned approximately one third goolie shrinkage, so that appears to be becoming the 'norm'.

Hi We Love Our Ridgies,

Have you shown the dog in question? was having smaller 'goolies' held against him by the judges?

This is a most informative thread, definatley food for thought when it comes to the entire showdog who's equipment isn't needed at a particular time, or when run with a female

Erny,

The "fairness", we believe, was that it might give us an unfair advantage over the other dogs, so yes, I guess it was political. I think there would be quite a few dogs who have had the implant being shown, likewise a few desexed bitches.

Mellg,

We have shown our boy since he has had the implant. The size of his testicles has not been held against him (not that we have been made aware of anyway). Mind you, it is funny watching the judges go over him and trying to find them!!

Shoemonster,

We enquired with the CCC about showing him before we got the implant. They wanted a letter from our vet (we aren't sure they had even heard of Suprelorin) advising that there were no harmful side effects, that it would not affect his ability to reproduce etc and that it was reversible.

We enquired with the CCC about showing him before we got the implant. They wanted a letter from our vet (we aren't sure they had even heard of Suprelorin) advising that there were no harmful side effects, that it would not affect his ability to reproduce etc and that it was reversible.

Thanks for the input. Interesting to know

Erny,

The "fairness", we believe, was that it might give us an unfair advantage over the other dogs, so yes, I guess it was political.

Pardon my ignorance, or inability to 'see' .... but how could HAVING the implant give the dogs an advantage over others who don't? Except for possible mallowing of behaviour????????

From my POV- I have just started showing a male dog, when a girl has been in the ring, particularly if it's a pre-oestrus girl (and you'd never know) you can not get their noses off the ground! :rofl: You can also say goodbye to nice gaiting. :rofl: My breed is always a minority so good or bad gaiting/stacking we will probably always walk away with an award, but if you are in a group I can see how that would be annoying.

Thanks for the explanation, SnT. Should have thought of that, although I don't show so wasn't sure how 'rings' are worked.

Question: Has anyone (who has a dog with the implant) noticed any 'softening' in relation to body and presence, since the implant?

My 7 year old boxer boy had his implant a month ago. I have asked the vet to find out how we know it is effective (blood test or semen) as my girl is 10 months and hasn't come in yet. Will be back to the vet tomorrow (boy has corneal ulcer :) ) so will let you know the outcome. I swear his testes have shrunk already - but still fully palpable as "normal" on examination. Sorry no nads photos :wave:

Tamela

ETA - he has "chilled" out a bit too - was quite a dominant dog. Still peppy but doesn't try to stand over other dogs as much. Also vet did warn about putting on weight/flabbiness with the testosterone blockage (no results on that yet).

Edited by mackindy

From my POV- I have just started showing a male dog, when a girl has been in the ring, particularly if it's a pre-oestrus girl (and you'd never know) you can not get their noses off the ground! :wave: You can also say goodbye to nice gaiting. :) My breed is always a minority so good or bad gaiting/stacking we will probably always walk away with an award, but if you are in a group I can see how that would be annoying.

With our Bree it's like she is perpetually in heat. She isn't bleeding, but I do believe she is hormonal and she is a total male magnet. The Ridgey guy loves us though, as this stirs his dog up and gives him plenty of pep. :)

From my POV- I have just started showing a male dog, when a girl has been in the ring, particularly if it's a pre-oestrus girl (and you'd never know) you can not get their noses off the ground! :laugh: You can also say goodbye to nice gaiting. ;) My breed is always a minority so good or bad gaiting/stacking we will probably always walk away with an award, but if you are in a group I can see how that would be annoying.

I actually dont mind an entire bitch in the ring, especially if it happens to be a Lab in the line up as the boys look alot better as they are trying to show off to the bitch LOL bloody males.

hi Erny

i havent experianced to much of a difference in my boy apart from "shrinkage". he is still the same boy though sligtly less domanent then befor but still the top dog of the 3, just less pushing to be their. the only other things i have noticed is wanting to be around me more, and he can run faster at the moment.

i had him chiped 2 months ago