Male Desexing Implant

Erny

Erny,

Two weeks ago I had one of my dogs implanted because he suffers prostate problems and I have not noticed any changes in his behaviour.

My Vets knew quite a bit about the effects of the implant and made no mention of Testosterone levels 'rising' (?)........they just said it takes about one to two weeks before the testosterone levels start to diminish.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't seem willing to guarantee that a dog would be able to return to stud duty when the drug has worn off . . . though he didn't rule it out.

They have done clinical trials on five consecutive treatments and measured sperm count and motility, pathologically everything appears to return to pre-implant status, if people want to view it, they can get in contact with Peptech.

Interestingly, they are now conducting a study into the effectivenes of the implant for bitches and spayed female dogs with urinary incontinence.

ETA: Trial data

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Errr this thread is about the suprelorin implant which is a grain of rice sized implant like a microchip, not the "ball implants" which are actual surgery, I think you got the wrong thread :rofl:

Thanks ShoeMonster for straightening me out on this one; with all the 'nad photos and not having read the first post, my confusion is at last alleviated! :thumbsup:

I have spoken with a Vet Behaviourist in general about this, and we agreed it would be useful for cases where you are not sure if the behaviour is testosterone based or learned behaviour, and would give a good indication about whether desexing was going to make any/much difference. :laugh:

Thanks Mel.

That is a good part of the initial reason why I began this thread. I'm not a big believer in neutering being the "fix" that some Vets suggest it to be, but it is easier when dealing with behaviour problems to know how much of it is or might be influenced by testosterone flow. It can also help convince the general owners who are otherwise reluctant to desex their male dog, when they note a discernible and sometimes calmer difference in their dog's behaviour after implant. I think it serves as a 'buffer' and gets them used to the idea of their dog being de-sexed too.

Wyhld - no probs. Can't say I agree with the "ball implants" either. Absolutely no good use for the dog - simply vanity on behalf of the owner, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback, SM and SnT.

SnT - Will have a read with interest of the link you've supplied regarding the implant for the bitches. Thank you.

Edited by Erny

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

Apologies for bumping an old thread but was wondering if it were possible to get some updates on those who had the implant.

I'm after information also on what is the suitable age for a dog to be given the implant.

Yeah it's the maturity of the dog I'm interested in, I would gather that the dog should be full a matured before the implant is given if the dog is a show dog and needs to conform to standard.

Edited by sas

Update from us

Ed was 12 months when he got his 1st implant done, he has matured slowly which was in his lines anyway and no big surprise, but has matured completely as we expected he would

After Ed's first implant had worn off he made these

DSC_0651.jpg

More recent pic of Ed and Inca, one his daughters, who even if you didnt know she was DNA profiled to show who her parents were, you pretty much know who her daddy is!! lol, I had to put that pic in as she is just too cute!

DSC_0288.jpg

Just before the litter were born I had him implanted again as I was uncomfortable having an entire male, having had desexed pets my whole life. I am now decididng whether or not to leave him be as the 2nd time the implant was done his behavior change was not as dramatic, or if I will get the op done permanently.

Hope that helps somewhat, pm me if you like :clap:

Yeah it's the maturity of the dog I'm interested in, I would gather that the dog should be full a matured before the implant is given if the dog is a show dog and needs to conform to standard.

Sas - I don't know much about the implant but based on physiology, I would think that waiting until the dog has finished growing would be advisable. The loss of testoserone delays growth plate closure in long bones (i.e. resulting in a slightly taller dog) and results in a slightly less muscle mass.

Really interesting thread!

Hey there,

Boy am I glad this thread has surfaced! I got my dog, Jake, done just after his first birthday - only the 6 month one ( that was in April 2007) and his behaviour improved significantly in terms of aggression toward other 'entire' dogs that he didn't know at the park.

I was going to show him, but didn' as I was concerned that having that implant disqualified him, especially becasue his family jewels shrunk quite a bit.. There are still 2 and you can still see them, but they are small!! Well, compared to the entire dogs at the shows. We were just waiting to see if they would grow back before putting him back into the ring again..... and therein lies the problem. Because this was the implant with the official 6 month efficacy I thought that they would naturally grow back once he started pumping out the testosterone again when the drug wore off - but that is not the case. Now already 4 months after the 6 month period - his testis haven't returned to normal and though assured by the vet that they would within the 1 year mark, I'm still a little concerned that they won't and thus we won't be able to show ever....

So has anyone used this implant and had 100% testicular size recovery? I would love to hear.

Thanks so much for this discussion, I really enjoyed it!

Cheers

Sufen