Mange On My Staffy

ok so my staffy has mange but i dont want to take her to the vet casue they will charge me to tell me what i already know casue she has had it in the same place a few times but i have run out of the medication. Is there anything i can buy with out taking her to the vet?????????????

If it was my dog - I would take it to a vet... It may be a different type of skin infection than last time (just because it looks the same, does not mean it is)..

Poor little buggar, so many of them suffer from skin complaints...

Good luck

Jodie

ok so my staffy has mange but i dont want to take her to the vet casue they will charge me to tell me what i already know casue she has had it in the same place a few times but i have run out of the medication. Is there anything i can buy with out taking her to the vet?????????????

I have had a problem with the demodex mange and everyone has told me to get the Pyohex Shampoo use it 2x a week

Follow it with a Pyohex or Ectodex Rinse which you could leave on for 10 minutes at least then rinse or just leave it on...

It takes the at least 10 minutes for the rinse to release into the hair follicles and kill the mites etc....

Also if your dog has reoccurence you may want to beef up her immune system with the Megaderm Vitamins..

Plus another subnscriber mentioned 2 cloves of garlic 1x a week is a prevententive for the mites from biting..I guess the mites don't care for the smell of garlic.... :confused: good luck

When people state that they don't wish to take their sick animals to the vet I often wonder if they suffered the same complaint along with all the discomfort it brings would they go to the doctor?

Part of responsible dog ownership is keeping the dog comfortable and in good health. That often means visits to the vet and paying for the professional advice and treatment.

My dog has arthritis. Yep! I know it's arthritis but I still take her to the vet. I still pay for xrays periodically and the inevitable 1/2 day hospitalisation fees along with the payment for the sedation needed to xray, in order to check the progession of the disease. That done I then pay for the medications she needs to keep her pain free. I feel it's the least I can do for the loyalty and devotion and trust she shows me.

That is pretty well what I wanted to say...

My boy has mast cell cancer and we go to the vet twice a week for two weeks then we have a week off for chemo... I know it can be expensive but as a responsible animal owner, it really is the right thing to do...

Hope your pooch has been to the vet and is feeling better

Jodie

Yeah a vet visit costs $22....

Peace of Mind that puppy feels well - Priceless :thanks:

PS - if it is not mange and it is something else the Phisohex shampoo cool only make it worse because it is a very strong application.

Hope all is well

$22 vet visit costs? That's pretty cheap..

I called a few around my area and they all start at $42+ !

Back to the topic, Ned seemed to have a little problem with his skin - looked like a serious case of the dandruff.. the vet did a skin scrap (?) but came back negative for mites.. it's still good to have it checked out - peace of mind.

He still has it, so we are in the process of elimination - tho we think it might be advantage duo application being too strong.. ??

Crikey - vet visits are expensive in Melbourne.

Mine has gone up from $22 to $30 but i dont' think i will be complaining now i heard how much you guys pay.

my boy has epilepsy and i have him at the vet constantly - I'd go broke at that cost

ALSO - if the animal is following up visit on anything already seen the vet visit is FREE.

eg.. if a dog has surgery, any follow up due to that surgery is free only the medications or tests cost but the visit doesn't

i think i better give my vet a box of chocolates for easter :banghead:

petal79 - staffies are prone to skin probs - the best thing i have ever used is a product bought from a pet supply store - it is made by aristopet and it is a tea tree oil antiseptic ointment. it comes in a white tube or tub with green on it.

it cures nearly any staffy itch and is a great investment for the cupboard.

Also there is a creme called NEOCORT that you can get from your vet - it is a must have in the medicine cabinet if you own a staffy !

Edited by Staffy-Lover

Guest Tiggy

My 5 month old Staffy puppy started losing hair on her face so I took her to the vet and he did a skin scrape and it's Demodex. She's on Advocate once a fortnight which is a double dose and she has to go back for a skin scraping in 4 weeks. She's only had one treatment of the Advocate and it already looks like her hair is growing back.

there is a reason vets exist, its becuase not everyone is certified to diagnose someone with this or that

would you NOT take your child to the doc if he/she started losing her hair and developed a rash?

If u really dont want to take the staffy to the vet/or put her on drugs then Perhaps reword your request for help- like: Anyone know any good Alternative methods, advice on homeopathic or natural remedies???

Edited by O`ren's Silly Mummy

Try Advocate and the Pyohex or Pyoderm shampoo first

Good luck I have been fighting mites now since October, last month we had our first clear scrape. Three scrapes in all clear toill she stops her meds.

If Advocate does not work you may need Invermectin.

Dont muck around get it seen to early

Karen

Do you know whether it is demodectic mange or sarcoptic mange, both require different treatments. Sarcoptic mange is usually far itchier than the other BUT is nevertheless easier to treat.

• 4 weeks later...

once you have visited the vet and treated the problem, then try to boost the level of omega 3's in your dogs diet to help it repair it's skin, so that the problem doesn't come back

once the vet has done a course of steroids, and you've treated the fleas then try to boost the level of omega 3 oils in the diet of your dog

two omega 3 oil supplements you can try are : megaderm or omegamagic plus from vets or online

(omegamagic plus is a lot cheaper)

they both contain omega 3 oils and omega 6 oils in the right balance, as well as zinc, VitA, VitB, VitE

Also with Sarcoptic Mange the dog needs to be quarantined away from other animals as if they slept in the same area it is contagious. A vet will be able to determine which of the two this is if in fact it is this or something else but you really need a vet to check it out first.

• 1 year later...

I have a staffy with an allergy problem that scratches itself raw it is distressing and have found that we are able to "manage" the problem with a cream called Neotopic-H, But have found seawater to be excellent for her skin so if possible take her down the beach for a bath or collect this magic water

I am not aware of any alternative treatment apart from following vets advise for mange. All dogs have mites, but if it is Demodex, at times of stress or having a low ammune system causes the mites to multiply and of course then problems occur and mange can become apparent. Demodex you will first see appear on the dogs face, normally around eyes etc, and I have also seen it start on the inside of back legs.

I would go to the vet first, a different one maybe to the one you have been going to, and just check that it is not something different first, then treat as required :confused:

Also, another idea is when you go back to the vets, check if you can just call in the future and pick up the medication over the counter should your dog get it again. I do that with the "cat flu" medication so I dont go in for a consult every time :eek:

Edited by BC