When Is A Puppy Not A Puppy

sheltiesrule

It seems that in many things, 18 months is probably considered no longer a puppy. eg The dog must be 18 months or over to have a registered litter, and also to compete in agility. I guess that means that generally, they're fully grown at 18 months.

However, my girl is 18 months old, and at times she is still very much a puppy.... and then there are some breeds that have the reputation of never growing up (like boxers).

I'd like to hear what other people think....

My Dane was still growing until he was 3. He was puppy-ish in his behaviour until he was about 2.8 years old.

My smaller dog however - I'd say he'll stop the puppy type behaviour when he's around 18 months.

My 2 Hamiltons stopped 'growing' at around the 18mth mark but they are 3 this year and even though have had a litter (Mum & Dad) they both still carry on like big babies (30kg babies) !!!

Our Siberians settled down around 3-4yr old mark but being now 6 they still have their moments when you look at them think 'OMG - you daggy little puppy'

Shelties generally stop growing at about 7 months, as far as feeding is concerned I keep them on puppy food for 12 months.

As for temperament then my youngest who had a litter last Oct has now decided to be the baby of the family again and has reverted to many of her puppy traits and she just turned three.

Shelties generally stop growing at about 7 months, as far as feeding is concerned I keep them on puppy food for 12 months.

Wow 7 months Kasper is already 5 and he's still quite small the Jack Russell next door who is the same age is bigger than him...should I be concerned :thanks:

Dont worry sheltis rule connor just had a growth spurt at twelve months he is now a tiny 13 and half inches but its half an inch more than he was

as for maturity i thin somewhere between 18 months and three is when they bcome adults

Hi sheltiesrule,

I just measured Lucy and she's 13 1/2 inches which is about the norman.. Kasper may have a growth spurt and grow a couple more inches. How did you go with his eyelashes? Females usually finish growing before males so no need to worry just yet.

It would be more of a concern if you are going to show Kasper

Gracesmum is right my dali Jake is nearly 4 and he is still very much a puppy though he doesn't display the destructa dog behaviour much nowadays thank godness :banghead: He is certainly more mature than he was at 6 months old (when I got him) but I think he'll retain his puppiness until he is an old man :banghead:

Can't wait for puppy girl to get here but she will just grow up so fast