Dog Friendly Accommodation Armidale

Perry's Mum

I want to take Perry up to Armidale to see the woman who saved her from being shot on the farm. Can anyone recommend any dog friendly accommodation where she will be allowed inside? We need not only acommodation in or close to Armidale but also en route. The route I take will depend on the availability of suitable accommodation - basically there is an inland route via Dubbo, a coastal route via Central Coast/Maitland.

All suggestions gratefully received.

If you don't mind a stopover in Newcastle, there's a great-sounding place in Denison St, Hamilton, where the dogs are welcome inside with you.

It's on the www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au webpage so it may have been included after the last edition of the book came out. The owners have beagles, I think.

It's about 5 to 5.5 hours' drive from Canberra, so not a bad spot to stop. And there are dog-friendly beaches in Newcastle where Perry could have a run early the next morning before you head off again.

I know the Jelly Bean Van Park in Guyra (past Armidale) allows dogs, but like everyone else, I think it's outdoors only ... even in their chilly winter! Brrr.

We've stayed at "Country Road Caravan Park and Cabins" in Uralla on our way from Cairns to Melbourne November 2004. The place allowed dogs inside their accommodation...basic cabins (some with ensuite) and friendly service. For memory, not too expensive either (under $60 for the night, I think). It's on the highway a couple of kms south of Uralla and that's about 20-30 minutes south of Armidale. IMO you won't find any accommodation at Armidale that allows dogs inside.

You can contact the caravan park on 02 6778 4563 (according to the book "Holidaying with Dogs").

In our experience, coastal routes are less dog-friendly than inland ones. We managed to get a motel in Holbrook (just north of Albury) that would allow the dogs inside, but it took some sweet-talking as they had problems with dog owners in the past trashing the rooms (allowing their dogs to mark walls, bedding, curtains, etc :laugh: ) and barking dogs keeping other guests awake. :eek:

It *is* difficult to find places that allow dogs inside, but if you're persistent and look outside the square, it is possible.

We've driven between Canberra/Darwin/Cairns/Melbourne on various trips and always managed to find somewhere to stay the night, with the dogs welcome inside with us. You just have to know how to 'sell' yourself and your dog/s to ppl that might have had bad experiences with less responsible dog owners. It helps if you are prepared to crate your dog (or at least let them know it's possible), and it helps to know when you aren't going to budge someone from their position. :(

HTH. :)

Perry's mum - Glenhope Alpaca farmstay in Armidale says it welcomes dogs cats and horses.

They don't specify about indoors tho.

Phone :: (02) 6772 1940 Contact :: Bronwyn Mitchell

Fax :: (02) 6772 0889 Pets welcome :: Dogs, Cats and Horses

One site about it DID say offlead was OK if under voice control - so they sound pretty pet friendly to me (have only ever seen them say ON leash)

Lilysmum - we've found a very comfortable motel in Wagga that allows (smallish) dogs indoors. Yes, a lot of it is about how you approach them. The owners have a JR themselves.

If Wagga helps in one of your interstate trips I can give you the name of the motel.

I don't know if it's on the way from Canberra but I stayed in a place in Scone that allowed me to have Tbone inside. The lady that runs the park has got 5 rescue chis - she feels sorry for the dogs sleeping outside in the cold!! The cabin actually had a little bedroom with a sliding door... so I sat him on his mat in there.

Its a van park - pretty much the first place on the right as you enter town (if you were coming from the south)

There are kennells on the northside outside Armidale.

At that time of the year it will be very cold -2--10 so you will need to have your dog inside, what about a B&B? Try them there is one here that is dog friendly but she still says outside.Or ring the RSPCA in Armidale they may have some ideas.

The net search I did came up with a few B&Bs in Armidale that were 'pet firendly' but closer reading showed they ALL required dog 'outside'. The Alpaca farm didn't specify though, and I can't imagine (as they also allow cats) anything thinking their cat 'outside' was OK. Especially in winter.

Bugger! Thought that alpaca farm showed promise. :cool:

How I found the motel in Wagga was thru the RACV online accomodation search (am sure NRMA would have similar) - I clicked for 'pet friendly' and a number of places came up. Of course they ALL said "conditions apply" (which I guess would generally mean outside only. But I wrote to all of them.

So find ALL the places in Armidale that say they are pet friendly and bung them an email querying their 'conditions'.

eg.

Dear XXX, I am travelling to Armidale and need xx nights accom on XXX. I am travelling with my medium sized dog (don't mention breed, I am sure a 'working dog' might give them coniptions :lol) and she is very much a 'house dog'. As I am travelling in *month* I am also very concerned about the cold. Are well-behaved house dogs allowed to stay inside? She does not sleep on furniture or beds (she has her own bed) but does need to be close to me as she was rescued from an abusive home and I am all the world to her. So can you please advise what your 'conditions' are.

Or something like that.

i shall try that - if it does not work then we just won't go. They keep saying the health inspector will take away their licence but we have stayed in so many places in Southern NSW and Victoria where it was not an issue. I will also try an ad in the local paper looking for private accommodation for the three days we will be there.

She has not got room - they are renovating (she just had a baby) and are down to 1 bed room at that stage. If I don't find somewhere today I will put an ad in the local paper seeking accommodation for 3 days for one middle aged woman and one well behaved indoor dog.