Has Anyone Fed Duck To Their Dogs?

I am trying to give my dogs more variety in their raw diet. A local pet warehouse now stocks duck mince but I am a bit dubious in feeding it to one of my girls. She gets the runs if I feed her chicken wings, chicken necks with any fat on them or chicken frames if I do not remove the fat from them as well. I have fed her human quality turkey mince without any problems and they will be having pet quality turkey mince tomorrow. They are all having turkey necks tonight for dinner for the first time so I will have to wait and see with them although they do not have much fat at all.

Knowing that duck is normally fatty, do you think I would be pushing my luck feeding this girl duck mince? None of my other dogs have a problem with anything I feed them.

I think that girl might have a similar reaction to duck but I'm sure the others would love it !

That's what I am afraid of. She gets really upset when she gets the runs. :thumbsup: I would love to be able to feed them all the same with as much variety as possible.

She eats lamb flaps with out any problem and absolutely loves them. It is obviously something to do with chicken/poultry fat.

Edited by Norskgra

If she does okay on fatty lamb, it might be worthwhile giving a small amount of duck a try and see how she goes. Wish my pet warehouse had stuff like turkey and duck. My boy has food intolerances and finding novel proteins that are not expensive is difficult.

If she does okay on fatty lamb, it might be worthwhile giving a small amount of duck a try and see how she goes. Wish my pet warehouse had stuff like turkey and duck. My boy has food intolerances and finding novel proteins that are not expensive is difficult.

I might give her a little and see how she goes. It is hard to find things that she can eat and give her some variety. This pet warehouse has only just started stocking turkey and duck mince and turkey necks. Our closest one is very limited in what they stock. That is why my dogs have only been having chicken frames, necks, wings and lamb flaps. It is a real pain with this girl as I have to take all the fat off her necks and frames.

Trying to find bones that she can totally eat with meat she can tolerate has been hard. I would just love to be able to feed all my dogs the same thing without having to be careful with her.

My bulldogs get chicken necks regularly but one week our butcher was out so I bought turkey necks instead and after a couple of meals she was throwing up and now won't eat them. I put it down to the turkey being a "richer meat" than chicken and she just couldnt tolerate it. I would think that duck would be the same? After the turkey incident I wouldnt feed mine turkey or duck!

I gave mine a quarter fresh duck each to munch on. Free range raised so not exceedingly fatty but it is a rich mean anyway. A little bit of duck fat goes a long way too and its quite gamey. If she does OK on pork style fats then she may be ok on duck

Would love to know where to get well priced quality game, tho you guys are in different states :confused:

I will get the details off the turkey mince roll tomorrow and let you know. The same people do the duck mince. They may distribute it to somewhere near you.

MOOSE, MOOSE MOOSE!!! :confused::laugh:

I have given my dogs duck but it's fresh-killed and not mince. I would imagine that the duck might give your girl the runs as it is a bit fattier than regular chook and definitely fattier than turkey which is quite lean. Have you tried Kangaroo meat Norskgra?

There's a new tinned food (for emergencies!) all natural, no preservatives, colours etc - Ziwipeak. They have Venison & Duck :confused::cheers: and the girls loved it.

Hi TT,

Yes I have tried them on roo and none of the dogs would eat it. :laugh: Unfortunately, none of the pet warehouses near me sell moose. :confused:

Hazz - The people who make/package the turkey and duck mince is:

Myella Premium Pet Foods Pty Ltd

2 - 4 Nelson Road,

Yennora NSW 2161

Ph: (02) 9721 1106

They all had turkey necks for dinner last night and loved them. No one had the runns! :confused:

It is really hard trying to find meaty bones that my girl can tolerate and also eat all the bone as well.

t-time I give up as cant locate Ziwipeak on google apart from on ebay and I cant be bothered scrolling through them all, it would appear though that it is quite expensive.

Norskgra Nutro has Lamb Pasta and Duck, but unfortunately it is one of those not avail in Aussie yet. I fed mine turkey necks for the first time 2 weeks ago, just one each, no problems.

Thanks Hesapandabear.

All mine ate turkey necks last night and my youngest girl had good firm bowel motions. I think she had 3 of the necks. It is really strange that she can eat chicken mince but not the fat on wings, frames or necks.

I like them to be able to completely eat bones regularly but I am getting tired of having to strip all the fat from her chicken. She can eat fatty lamb flaps without a problem. I also want the ones that I am feed ing a raw diet to have more variety.

Edited by Norskgra

Hesapandabear, I can get Ziwipeak at Caboolture if you're really interested in the product :rolleyes: (No I'm not a rep :rofl: just think the whole idea of the product is fantastic!).

Was reading the backs of the cans in the supermarket today and was just sooo appalled at the crap that's in them :rofl:

It is expensive -around $3.50 per small tin and I think it was $28-ish :rofl: for the kibble (which someone else told me is actually pure air-dried meat!)

GOOD STUFF THOUGH!

No idea where to get extra info about it online but I think it was Rottncrest who was getting further info through work.....

No worries Hazz.

All mine loved the turkey necks and turkey mince and Kari didn't get the runs.

I might buy a roll of the duck mince and give her a little to see how she goes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could try her on?

Edited by Norskgra