Is It Important To Desex A Male Dog?

:) I am struggling if to desex my male maltese which is 1.5yrs old going to 2 at this september.

If i did nto desex him, will there be alot of health problem during old age?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO unless you are a registered (ethical) breeder or have the relevant documentation and want to show your lad, then he should be desexed...

I doubt desexing at 1.5 years old will make any difference to his personality. It may save him from testicular cancer later in life though...

Cheers

Jodie

nothing worst than unwanted puppies.

if your not showing or breeding, desex, it's not worth the risk not too.

Well i am not breeding. Just that if don't desex will not cause any health problem. I will choose not to desex...

IMO unless you are a registered (ethical) breeder or have the relevant documentation and want to show your lad, then he should be desexed...

I doubt desexing at 1.5 years old will make any difference to his personality. It may save him from testicular cancer later in life though...

Cheers

Jodie

Well said :)

Haze if you saw how many maltese & maltese x's end up in the pound :) you would not hesitate to desex him. Unfortunately there are many owners that arent considering breeding but think their dogs will be safe undesexed. How do you know that your dog will NEVER escape? If he does (and it's quite possible), what happens if he impregnates another dog?

The question you should be asking is : why SHOULDNT I desex? In this day and age, it is very irresponsible not to desex unless you are a registered breeder or showing your dog.

Edited by *Karma*

When I got my first boy, Cooper, I always intended to get him desexed, but I never got around to it (I know, my bad :) ) He was always with us, so no chance of him impregnating a female. When he was 7 years old, he developed an enlarged prostate, and the vet recommended castration. We had him done then. At that age it was a big operation, and the recovery time was also extended. I decided then that if I got another male he would be desexed at an early age. Rover was done at about 6-7 months, and once the aneasthetic wore off completely you would never know he had anything done!

IMHO, I can see no need to leave a dog entire, unless he will be used for breeding or showing.

Desexing him now wont lead to any health problems - will certainly negate the risk of testicular cancer.

There is also less chance of him wanting to wander (and maybe end up in traffic) coz he smells lady dogs, and his hormones are driving him, and less chance of him getting into fights with other male dogs.

Will also stop someone evil person stealing him to breed with!!

I'd have him desexed, if he was mine. It wont make any difference to him, and indeed he will not be any different.

If that's him in your avatar, he's veerrry cute, hope he will post more of his photos so we can all admire him.

Haze if you saw how many maltese & maltese x's end up in the pound :) you would not hesitate to desex him. Unfortunately there are many owners that arent considering breeding but think their dogs will be safe undesexed. How do you know that your dog will NEVER escape? If he does (and it's quite possible), what happens if he impregnates another dog?

The question you should be asking is : why SHOULDNT I desex? In this day and age, it is very irresponsible not to desex unless you are a registered breeder or showing your dog.

Let's not talk about impregnates another dog.

I am very sure this will not happen. 100% sure.

I am in singapore. Not like u guys who live in big country have big field for your dogs to run freely. or just let your dog in out of the house freely.

Over here, i have to lease my dogs in public. If want him to run freely got to bring him to a Dog Park. And whenever I bring my dog to the park to run I am always around.

My question is.. if don't desex him, will he have chances to get cancer in old age?

I dont think it is irresponsible not to desex... that's only apply to those irresponsible owners. And i doubt so i am one of them.

When I got my first boy, Cooper, I always intended to get him desexed, but I never got around to it (I know, my bad :) ) He was always with us, so no chance of him impregnating a female. When he was 7 years old, he developed an enlarged prostate, and the vet recommended castration. We had him done then. At that age it was a big operation, and the recovery time was also extended. I decided then that if I got another male he would be desexed at an early age. Rover was done at about 6-7 months, and once the aneasthetic wore off completely you would never know he had anything done!

IMHO, I can see no need to leave a dog entire, unless he will be used for breeding or showing.

Oh ok.. that mean if dun desex a male dog, there is always higher chance to get illness/cancer. What if every year i bring my dog for annual checkup? Will this minimise the chances?

Desexing him now wont lead to any health problems - will certainly negate the risk of testicular cancer.

There is also less chance of him wanting to wander (and maybe end up in traffic) coz he smells lady dogs, and his hormones are driving him, and less chance of him getting into fights with other male dogs.

Will also stop someone evil person stealing him to breed with!!

I'd have him desexed, if he was mine. It wont make any difference to him, and indeed he will not be any different.

If that's him in your avatar, he's veerrry cute, hope he will post more of his photos so we can all admire him.

Hi,

Thank you very much. I am really in a very struggling situation. I very worry my decision will bring him harm That;s why i post the question here. Hope i did nto offend anyne here.

The avator pic is not Rascsal. Her name is cherish. Just passed away during 08 Jan 2006. That time she was 16yrs old. She is forever my beloved.

What if every year i bring my dog for annual checkup? Will this minimise the chances?

Even if you take your dog to the vet DAILY for a checkup, it will not minimise the chances of illness, at most the illness will be diagnosed sooner.

In the years that my dog was entire he always had at least annual checkups, and I can never once remember him having his Prostate checked :)

Can I ask, why you would ever put your dog at ANY risk if the prevention was so easy?

What if every year i bring my dog for annual checkup? Will this minimise the chances?

Even if you take your dog to the vet DAILY for a checkup, it will not minimise the chances of illness, at most the illness will be diagnosed sooner.

In the years that my dog was entire he always had at least annual checkups, and I can never once remember him having his Prostate checked :)

Can I ask, why you would ever put your dog at ANY risk if the prevention was so easy?

I also not sure.. i am so miserable. When i told my family and friends i want to desex him, they said i am cruel -____-.. they said i took away his manhood pleasure. they said i am making him Gay -___-...

Not desexing a male dog can lead to prostate problems and eventually cancer, the op itself is relatively straight forward.

You should explain to your family that it is better to neuter him rather than he be subjected to the possibility of cancer, WHICH IS MORE CRUEL?.

I have a neutered dog and he is as happy as anything, in no way has it affected his so called manhood.

We have leash free areas here as well, which include dog parks as you have in Singapore, are you 100% sure you can watch him like a hawk at the dog park.

Your boy is just beautiful. Don't listen to family and friends. At the end of the day he is YOUR dog YOUR responsibility.

Desexing him will not hurt his manhood, or doghood in his case. He will not want to roam, and the dangers of cancer and the like will be diminished, in the case of testicular cancer, gone altogether, cause so will his testicles :)

Do what you think is right. Think of the unwanted puppies and dogs in shelters that are euthanased each day because of accidental matings, and resulting puppies

He will be just as lovely, and happy as he is now, but all the better off.

Good luck with your decision

Let's not talk about impregnates another dog.

I am very sure this will not happen. 100% sure.

I am in singapore. Not like u guys who live in big country have big field for your dogs to run freely. or just let your dog in out of the house freely.

Over here, i have to lease my dogs in public. If want him to run freely got to bring him to a Dog Park. And whenever I bring my dog to the park to run I am always around.

My question is.. if don't desex him, will he have chances to get cancer in old age?

I dont think it is irresponsible not to desex... that's only apply to those irresponsible owners. And i doubt so i am one of them.

FYI, most of us live in urban areas and the responsible ones do not let our dogs out of the house to roam - there are dangers, such as being hit by a car, stolen, getting lost and starving...

We also have to leash our dogs in public.

Can I ask, how large are your dog parks? Let's say you're on one side, your dog is on the other, getting himself attached to a bitch in heat. How fast could you run over to detach them? Chances are, not fast enough to prevent impregnation. Does this make you an irresponsible owner? Of course it does - you have the opportunity NOW to prevent this. If you don't take the opportunity you are irresponsible.

Please, visit an animal shelter, and see how many unwanted dogs are there due to "accidents" caused by undesexed dogs.