Handlers Spitting Food Or Holding Food In Mouth

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys think the spitting is bad, you should see how the video starts this training, where the dog takes the food from your mouth :laugh:

When you think of all the other things we do in the general, run of the mill care of the dog throughout its life - such as clearing up dog vomit from the floor; inspecting repugnant areas of the dog's body for ailments; picking up dog poo .... and even inspecting it to ascertain whether it eliminated the foreign body it stole from the rubbish bin 24-48 hours ago; collecting wee samples for testing at the Vet's etc. etc. ....... putting bits of food in your mouth (it doesn't have to be food made specially for dogs) and spitting it out isn't that gross after all. And I've seen the experts do it - it's more of a neat "ping plop" rather than a messy sloppy spit. :rofl:

Oh - and I've had dogs take food from my mouth. I do this in cases of extreme submission and where the dog needs to build up confidence in me BUT only if I'm certain the dog's not likely to take my lips with it. :(

I think if I was storing food in my mouth, I would start salivatating and probably eat it myself if I was hungry. LOL :laugh:) Each to their own. I was watching a freestyle DVD and they were using it to teach side passes.

Totally agree Erny, after everything else we do with our dogs like picking up poo, inspecting areas, squeezing anal glands - having the dog take food from your mouth is no biggin. Good for building up your immune system I say!

Kavik, still waiting for those pics of bubs.......waiting waiting!

"Oh - and I've had dogs take food from my mouth. I do this in cases of extreme submission and where the dog needs to build up confidence in me BUT only if I'm certain the dog's not likely to take my lips with it. "

Yip, if you did that with my Lab, you would have no lips, and you would have to find some new ones as he would eat them!!

I think if I was storing food in my mouth, I would start salivatating and probably eat it myself if I was hungry. LOL :laugh:) Each to their own. I was watching a freestyle DVD and they were using it to teach side passes.

You'd be surprised how dry your mouth gets when you are in the showring!!! I have no desire to swallow the food that I need to make my bitch look interested and alert!!

You'd be surprised how dry your mouth gets when you are in the showring!!!

I don't show .... but I didn't think you were allowed to have food treats in the show ring. Or is that with obedience trials?

I often keep food in my mouth when showing also. Having a small dog who I (generally) manually stack and present, it's alot easier to have my hands food-less. And have you ever tried to grab a peice of cabana out of your pocket when you're crouching down? NOT easy haha.

And if we're having a good day and he's free-stacking and I'm able to stand in front of him- I find it easier to wiggle the food from between my teeth to keep his focus. Looks neater than waving it in front of his face!

Occasionally spit it at him when training and practicing, and also have him take it directly from my lips (so I kiss my dog. Big whoop!).

I've also kept dog food in my mouth. If it's good enough for my dog then it's not gonna do me any harm!!!

However, out of all my dogs, Caber is the only one I will 'spit at'.

I prefer the 'flogging' method - it does not look as gross or 'girlie' as spitting food at your dog... (I mean, that is SO foul!) You just carry a big stick and flog your dog if it doesn't do what it is supposed to. Or wire - you tie wire around the upper part of your dog's face - barbed is best - that way it digs in when you give it a twist if the dog is not behaving properly. None of those mamby pamby clickers or mouth fulls of food to spit for me! My 12 week old cocker spaniel puppy used to be a real brute until I flogged and barbed-wire trained her. Now she fetches me a 6-pack from the fridge when I tell her to, kills anyone who comes onto my property on command and feeds herself (on their carcasses). I have no need for 'sit' and 'stay'!

post-9949-1148256819_thumb.jpg

If i could spit straight i would be training like this, but i cant and it tends to make them jump towards where the food is landing.

I might try holding the food in my mouth but not spitting to see if that works.

Edited by tollersowned

tollersowned: If i could spit straight i would be training like this, but i cant and it tends to make them jump towards where the food is landing.

I might try holding the food in my mouth but not spitting to see if that works.

It took me a few weeks to get a good aim with spitting food.

Have you tried having the dog in front of you in a sit or drop & just letting the food drop out of your mouth. It takes a bit longer for the dog to get good at catching the food this way too.

I've never used spitting food for training or attention, my dogs have always been very attentive but I havent had to use food to get it :D . Is it a newish training method? :rofl:

Interesting training concept though, I dont have any adversity to putting food in my mouth, I'll see how I go with my new puppy when I get it :cheer: .

I prefer the 'flogging' method - it does not look as gross or 'girlie' as spitting food at your dog... (I mean, that is SO foul!) You just carry a big stick and flog your dog if it doesn't do what it is supposed to. Or wire - you tie wire around the upper part of your dog's face - barbed is best - that way it digs in when you give it a twist if the dog is not behaving properly. None of those mamby pamby clickers or mouth fulls of food to spit for me! My 12 week old cocker spaniel puppy used to be a real brute until I flogged and barbed-wire trained her. Now she fetches me a 6-pack from the fridge when I tell her to, kills anyone who comes onto my property on command and feeds herself (on their carcasses). I have no need for 'sit' and 'stay'!

would hate to be your milkman :rofl:

:rofl: Got to hand it to you. I love your sense of humour ;) Well done you and i would get on famously :rofl: Kepp up the good work.

:rofl: Got to hand it to you. I love your sense of humour ;) Well done you and i would get on famously :rofl: Keep up the good work.

:scold:

Focussing on the face in obedience is a style thing. It looks good, the dog is focussed and happy, and if the dog is focussing on your face it can't be distracted by other stuff.

Yep I spit food at home too :D My OH thinks it is gross, but knows why I do it. I do this in conjunction with a few other things.

If the dog has to focus and heel and sit for the food, it won't be jumping up. Although at the beginning when you are building desire for the food, and teaching the dog where the food is, the video I watched did not discourage the dog jumping to get it.

If you guys think the spitting is bad, you should see how the video starts this training, where the dog takes the food from your mouth :mad

:scold: Interesting fact. If a person with a disability spits, throws or holds food in their mouth, this is classified as inappropriate behaviour or challenging behaviour. yet non disabled people can do it all in the name of possitive food training :rofl:

Next time any of you people that use this method sees a person with a disability behaving inappropriately, think about what message you are sending. ;) :rofl::mad:confused::rofl::eek::rofl::clap::)

I think there is something in that for all of us. Don't you?

:scold: Interesting fact. If a person with a disability spits, throws or holds food in their mouth, this is classified as inappropriate behaviour or challenging behaviour. yet non disabled people can do it all in the name of possitive food training :rofl:

Next time any of you people that use this method sees a person with a disability behaving inappropriately, think about what message you are sending. :rofl::eek::mad:clap::rofl::):confused::rofl::mad

I think there is something in that for all of us. Don't you?

Now thats a very valid point Troysmum. Never thought of it from that point of view. I can imagine back when my kids were tots and it was bedtime and I spat them a lolly so they would get their little tush's into bed :scold:

Yes TM's I do believe there is something in that for all of us ;)

I can't see anything wrong with this method, if it works for you then do it I say :rofl: I too have been known to carry food in my mouth in the showring (some of my outfits don't have pockets and I hate bait bags), but I can't stand the taste of the liver treats ;)

"Interesting fact. If a person with a disability spits, throws or holds food in their mouth, this is classified as inappropriate behaviour or challenging behaviour. yet non disabled people can do it all in the name of possitive food training "

Oh dear. What happens to a partially diasbled positive trainer like myself? I was just going to push your line of thinking a bit and figure out what I could get away with in the ring. May be I could drool food. I could get that one going naturally on a bad day, and imagine how much I could sue for if I got NQ'd for that. Never thought of that before.

I have always had real questions on "inappropriate behaviour or challenging behaviour". I think it means that it makes other people uncomfortable. Have a thought for how uncomfortable it makes the disabled person. Personally, I just get on with it and have a life. If others stare or reject or patronise me, or think I am IH becuase I have a slight physical disability, I just move on to people who are worth knowing. My dogs have more sense and couldn't care less.

In future, please think before you offend. I am in a good mood today so I am not offending back.