Hot Spots

Vin

Just wanted to see if anybody is aware of dogs having what they call hot spots? My alaskin mali has a big balled spot on his face, no hair and its just skin. Really yucky looking with fluid. It was bleeding at first, now its not but it does not look good :D .

He has become really sad and just unhappy. Poor Tino :)

I have just booked him for a vet appointment after work today. I thought it would just fix it self but he just cant stop scratching it, so i called the vet and booked him in. Hope he will be ok.

Does anyone have any thought about this? Or know about it? Im just really worried now.

Hot spots are very common in dogs with thick hair, but I have never seen one on a dogs face. Perhaps it is a bite or allergy that the dog has scratched at, making it raw. Malamutes, huskies and GR's are the most common dogs that I see hot spots on and they are usually on the rump, neck or upper legs. If it is a hot spot, you need to keep the area clean and dry - bathing with salt water can be very beneficial. But I think the vet will be able to help you more - it doesn't sound like a hot spot to me.

For Hot Spots and Itching

Boil 1½ cups of water, remove from heat. Add 2 teaspoons oatmeal, 1 teaspoon chamomile, 1 teaspoon calendula flowers and 1 regular tea bag (Lipton type); let steep until cool. Strain through doubled cheesecloth. If you do not have the herbs, use 1 cup of water. Spray the affected area as often as needed.

- - - - - -

Hot Spots

Hot spots can lead to serious illness in dogs. They can be caused by allergies to chemicals, food, fleas and other substances, but fleas seem to be a primary source. This recipe has proven effective for many dogs suffering from Hot Spots.

3 capsules Sage

¼ teaspoon Epsom Salts

2 cups of Water

Combine all ingredients and bring this all to a boil.

Cool to room temperature and then strain out the powdered Sage.

Store in a 2-cup spray bottle or jar in the refrigerator to keep fresh.

Spray or wipe on hot spots, insect bites, or any other skin abrasions as many times a day as possible. It heals in about 3 days, and you should begin to see some hair regrowth in a little over a week.

---------

Summer Skin Itch - Healing

For promoting hair growth, healing sore skin, and as a Anti-Itch Solution.

1 teaspoon of apple cider (brown)

10ml of Colloidal Silver (anti-fungal/virus/bacteria)

approx. 20 drops of calendula tincture

Put into a empty 1 litre spray bottle, then fill with distilled water. Spray on affected areas 3 x daily. Use half the dosage mix if using a smaller spray bottle or bowl.

----------

Skin Allergies

Are actually signs of zinc deficiencies. Buy the Chelated Zinc 10mg Tablets and crush the tablet & mix into daily meals. Elderly cats and dogs benefit this mineral in their daily regular meals, along with digestive enzyme tablet (crushed). Change diets to a all natural preservative free one. That means no more commercial dog biscuits or tin foods. The less toxic chemicals and drugs the healthier your pet will stay. Many Dogs are allergic to the foods (commercial) Also avoid pasta, rice, carrots, yeast, corn, wheat, beef, oats. These are some of the more common food allergens (all commercial foods have wheat, corn and preserves, poor quality artificial meat and flavourings ).

----------

Irritated Skin

500 ml Sorbolene, add 100 ml tea tree oil, mix well and apply as often as required.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/skinremedies.htm

thanks for the reply. From what i read it looks like one, but its actuall on his right cheek and its the size of my palm. Maybe its something else like an allergy like you said. Well, i hope the vet can help because it really has affected him :D .

I had never had problems with them before but one of mine got one on his back about two weeks ago and within 48 hours (over a weekend) they had spread. Three patches on his back, one on a rear leg, one on a front leg and one on an ear.

Ended up having a course of antibiotics and cortisone.

The vet recommended washing them with vetadine (iodine based) and then applying sorbolene.

The actual "infected spots" were not palm sized, more like 50c pieces.

The first hot spot my siberians ever got was on the face.

We also often see hot spots on the face (not that we often see hot spots, but that when we see them they are often on the face - you know what I mean :) ). Normally on the cheek. If not on the cheek, the next most common spot we've seen them is the neck.

Geez, haven't had one for ages - we used to have a white ointment from the vet for them, someone will say the name and it will ring a bell, but I can't remember it. I recall the ointment used to help with the itch, but it always seemed that getting the hot spot dried out asap was the best fix. I can see listerine drying the spot out, must remember that.

At the end of the day - vet check is the best thing you can do :D

Boil 1½ cups of water, remove from heat. Add 2 teaspoons oatmeal, 1 teaspoon chamomile, 1 teaspoon calendula flowers and 1 regular tea bag (Lipton type); let steep until cool. Strain through doubled cheesecloth. If you do not have the herbs, use 1 cup of water. Spray the affected area as often as needed.

- - - - - -

Hot Spots

Hot spots can lead to serious illness in dogs. They can be caused by allergies to chemicals, food, fleas and other substances, but fleas seem to be a primary source. This recipe has proven effective for many dogs suffering from Hot Spots.

3 capsules Sage

¼ teaspoon Epsom Salts

2 cups of Water

Spray or wipe on hot spots, insect bites, or any other skin abrasions as many times a day as possible. It heals in about 3 days, and you should begin to see some hair regrowth in a little over a week.

---------

Put into a empty 1 litre spray bottle, then fill with distilled water. Spray on affected areas 3 x daily. Use half the dosage mix if using a smaller spray bottle or bowl.

----------

Skin Allergies

Are actually signs of zinc deficiencies. Buy the Chelated Zinc 10mg Tablets and crush the tablet & mix into daily meals. Elderly cats and dogs benefit this mineral in their daily regular meals, along with digestive enzyme tablet (crushed). Change diets to a all natural preservative free one. That means no more commercial dog biscuits or tin foods. The less toxic chemicals and drugs the healthier your pet will stay. Many Dogs are allergic to the foods (commercial) Also avoid pasta, rice, carrots, yeast, corn, wheat, beef, oats. These are some of the more common food allergens (all commercial foods have wheat, corn and preserves, poor quality artificial meat and flavourings ).

----------

Irritated Skin

500 ml Sorbolene, add 100 ml tea tree oil, mix well and apply as often as required.

Cool thanks for all that guys. Will keep this in mind for next time, and this would really help other people also with their dogs. And the listerine also sounds good. Have taken him to the vet. He was so agro last night after the vet put a bucket on his head. He was growling at everyone. And this morning the asistant tried to give him an injection and he got a little angry. Hehe, he was like "dont you touch me with that thing grrrrrr" :( .

As soon as she put it away he was all play full again. Im picking him up after lunch, so ill let you all know how it went. :)

- - - - - -

Hot Spots

3 capsules Sage

¼ teaspoon Epsom Salts

2 cups of Water

---------

----------

Skin Allergies

----------

Irritated Skin

Cool thanks for all that guys. Will keep this in mind for next time, and this would really help other people also with their dogs. And the listerine also sounds good. Have taken him to the vet. He was so agro last night after the vet put a bucket on his head. He was growling at everyone. And this morning the asistant tried to give him an injection and he got a little angry. Hehe, he was like "dont you touch me with that thing grrrrrr" :( .

As soon as she put it away he was all play full again. Im picking him up after lunch, so ill let you all know how it went. :)

Hot spots are found in greyhounds a lot. Vets say it can be from VitB in excess. You will notice a small lump of hair standing up. it will pull away usually with yellow pus underneath. The best thing and easiest is Pinetarsol for humans. Bath you dog in it follow instructions and it is wonderful. pooki in the Qld heat broke out in sores . After vets, all sort of things, I told her to try this. No trouble now. No scars etc.

We are now using it on grewys and its great.

For any dogs with hot spots, or skin problems I have used Pinetarsol for humans.It is out on its own worked wonders after a small fortune was spent on a dog. 2 baths what a difference. Available at any chemist. use as for people. Also dont feed dogs tin cat food...

Edited by silentbear

I would steer clear of putting sorbolene on a hot spot. The idea is to dry a hot spot out, sorbolene traps sweat against the skin.

The vet will probably recommend Malaseb shampoo, or Pyohex if it's infected. Both work a treat IMO as they are made specifically to treat the problem by a veterinary dermatologist.

If you do a DOL search on hotspots you will find a wealth of information about them.

Edited by Dru

my boy had a hot spot earlier this yr - i went to work everything was fine when i came home he had this 'sticky' fur on the side of his face - i thought he had just layed in something!! so washed with malaseb only to find the skin all inflamed and kinda white/creamy colour washed a couple of times a day with malaseb and straight to the vets - 3 days on calvulox and salt water washes all gone no probs or scarring :hitself:

bit bigger than a 50c piece but that was only 1 day...the longer left the bigger they get...