New Puppy

A Lappie mum

hello I just got a 7 week old lab and have a few questions

1. how much should i be feeding him.

2. i put him in the bathroom of a night time to sleep but he has started to whine at 12:30, 3:30 , 4:30. he goes with into bed with toys and hot water bottle.

3. i have started to toilet train him is that too early???

4. i would like to go out of a day for a few hours but unable to in case he cause trouble by whining while i'm out he has a place in the backyard or the bathroom.

thank you

sal

Ahem..... *cough* I feel like I've been undermined :(

Hello Sally :)

Congratulations on your new puppy. What is his name?? Where did you get him from? PICTURES PLEASE!!

We are a bossy lot here :cry:

re: how much to be feeding him -did his breeder give you any instructions regarding this?

Yes start toilet training now. There is heaps of information on the net re toilet training.

The whining will stop with time. Don't get up to him it only reinforces his bad behaviour.

blacklabrador- sorry about that i just thought of the name because he is black and a lab. i was given him from a friend and she not a breeder so i cant get food advice from her but her 2 are pure breds seen the papers! she just had an opps how did that happen litter of 12. so i got to pick him.

apolo- yes he is wormed and vacc due for next vacc on the 27th june and cant remember when due for worming again( opps).

edited to add his name is tj my partner named him not me, and i have no photos yet but when i do i will post them

Edited by blacklab

blacklabrador- sorry about that i just thought of the name because he is black and a lab. i was given him from a friend and she not a breeder so i cant get food advice from her but her 2 are pure breds seen the papers! she just had an opps how did that happen litter of 12. so i got to pick him.

apolo- yes he is wormed and vacc due for next vacc on the 27th june and cant remember when due for worming again( opps).

edited to add his name is tj my partner named him not me, and i have no photos yet but when i do i will post them

i always worm my dogs on a day i will remember or write it on a calender

and i have had a new pup for about 2 weeks now and she was really hard to get her to the toilet outside so what i did was i scrubed all the floors even if she hadnt been there and i took a peice of newspaper outside put it on the ground and let her pee on it because she was already used to peeing on newspaper it worked a treat. Then after a few goes i just took the newspaper away and didnt let her back inside until she went she does still leave a little present occasionally only because someone has forgotten to take her out but she wants to do it outside which means her training is working. Also when she is let outside for the toilet she has to go but then she gets to play with my boy dog which she loves so maybe you could find something he loves doing outside and let her have it or play after he goes.

Welcome to the world of puppy hood.

When you are taking him to the toilet use a word like ' wees' or 'go wees' something tlike that and when he does praise him. Also being so young they need to go all the time so make sure u are ready. After play time, after meal time and after drinking.

:( I saw this before and i was wondering whnn Blacklabrador ( was gonna say blacklab, but now i can't, can't even use BL) would notice that she has a follower!, yes we definatly need more blacklab pics from both blacklabs!

When your puppy gets to the stage of being wormed every three months it is a good idea to worm them the first of each season ie. 1st june, 1st Sept,1st Dec, 1st March-that way you'll never forget.

This was a really helpful tip I was given years ago

yes i have been using the words go pee when he outside and then giving him praise when he does! he goes outside after sleep, food, play, and before i go to bed. He has a puppy pad in with him and he goes on it during the nite. but the problem i'm having is he doesnt make a noise during the nite so i can wake up and take him outside. found out when he is due for worming so will be worming him next week

I always set my alarm for during the night when I am toilet training a pup. They can't last all night. The reason he isn't making a noise to wake you up is that he is quite happy to pee inside on the paper. It will become a habit if you let it. Set your alarm and just keep the paper there in case he has an accident.

Don't expect him to ask to go out at this stage - and don't expect him to last longer than 4 hours. :rofl:

Thanks for that hon - although I didn't really mind.

Feed him in accordance with his weight = whatever it says on the bag of food you are feeding him. Use that as a guide and watch him closely for weight loss.

Some people advise to feed whatever a pup will eat in a certain number of minutes.... but honestly the lab pups I know will just keep eating and eating. He should be pudgy at this age and he is growing at an amazing rate - so he will get ribby quickly if you aren't giving him enough.

canned food is about 85% water, and I'm no expert but 3.1kg at 8 weeks seems a little light? Lab people?

Absolutely... although he is a BYB lab - possibly not the same "sturdyness" that show labs might have?? Dunno - I guess as long as he is not skinny and is gaining weight. I clearly remember my last pup weighing 4.5kg at 9 weeks - she wasn't overweight - but just right.

What you will find with most Vet provided foods is that they will provide a guide on the side of the package...even with alot of canned foods.....Science diet springs to mind.....unless of course you are doing a raw food diet in that case about 400g of meat to my knowldge should do them.

As far as your little one whining goes....like most people have replied...he is just getting to know you, his environment etc, and he is probably missing his mum.

Radio is good, and it could even be the cold weather..(hot water bottles only keep heat for about an hour. Worming still needs to take place every 2 weeks until 3 months old.

thevetshed.com.au has great prices on worming things....much cheape than vets.

You should require a vet check at 8 weeks for vaccinating, and then at 12 weeks again. Then every year from there out. get a c5 if you plan on schooling/bording your dog at any age, and a c3 if not....it is just a little cheaper.

heart worming needs to be done from 3 months onward....and how often depends on brand.(you ca get daily ones too.) you can also opt for an injection for heart worm that covers you for a whole year. it costs about 70 dollars.

hope this helps

charene

Congratulations on your new puppy.

Everyone else has addressed your feeding issues, so I thought I might suggest something for the whining...

Just in case you did not realise, the bathroom and the laundry are the coldest rooms in the house... TJ, might be better off in a crate beside your bed... This way when you hear him wriggling around in the middle of the night, you can get up and let him go to the toilet...

Crate training is a popular way of keeping the puppy from going to the toilet in the house... If you do a search on 'crate training', I am sure you will come up with lots of information on how to do it...

Being inside a crate is also a warm, safe and secure place for little puppies.

I too, would recommend a high quality puppy food for you new baby as most of the canned foods are nearly all water... Eukanuba (sp??), Hills Science Diet and Supercoat are a few that come to mind. But ask your vet what is best for TJ and introduce any new foods slowly so you don't upset his tummy...

Good luck

Jodie