Emergency Help!

My huskie ate a flannel. My gf tried to get it off of him when he got it, but he ran away and swallowed it at the same time.

we have tried 3 desert spoons of salt and he just swallows it and sits and looks at us, doesnt even heave.

what do we do? no peroxide at home, its too late for vet.

more salt!?!?

How the fizzle do we make him sick? He is 5 months old, he eats everything!

Help!!!

Steve

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, hold off on making him vomit. Attempting top make a dog vomit such a large piece of material that is thick and dense should be done under vetinary supervision in case it might get stuck in his throat and cause choking.

See what the emergency vet people can tell you on the phone, try to give as much information as possible.

Edited by Abergavenny

They werent helpful, the lady was rude and told me just to bring him down, sounded like they just wanted money.

I asked what the deal was, she said he needs an injection, then to be hospitalised, then consult fee, and some other crap.

We are giving him a few hours, if he doesnt puke then he will go to the emergency vet.

He has swallowed shit before and thrown it up, so hopefully this comes up too

Steve

The injection would probably be to make him vomit, and that would need to be done with Vetinary supervision, because if the flannel gets stuck in the dogs throat it could block off his airway and he could choke, or inhale his own vomit.

I think the situation is risky. If it was something smaller, say a handkerchief it would not be such a concern.

Have you fed that amount of salt before without illeffect? Did you tell the vet you fed the salt? I am concerned more about the salt than the flannel, not saying the flannel won't be a problem. Your dog may suffer kidney damage at worst and dehydration at least.

Please take the advice you were given and take him to the vet ASAP.

Xavier, I didn't get the point about the salt, but three dessertspoons neat??? without water?? That's far too much.

Wolf82 who has been giving you such advice?

The dog is in a risky situation, don't worry if you and the receptionist didn't quite understand each other on the phone, these things happen when emotions run high.

Please take it to the vet tonight.

He was fine. He drank shitloads of water and needed out for the toilet about 5 times to pee. Then he woke us up the usual way by jumping all over us in excitement to tell us the sun was up and its brekky time.

He got a small brekky and seemed fine, we will check all poops tonight, if there is no passage, off to the vet we go!

Sorry, I know there is a reason why every one says I pay my vets wages but.... Consultation fees are at the standard rate now (if that was your concern), so I'd be making an appointment now.

If this was one of my dogs, I'd have gone lastnight, bugger the $120 after hours consultation fee.

I'm with you dane... vets immediately before it goes down any further!

They would have been able to make your pooch boff under supervision and removed the sponge... now its in there!

Would it even be able to pass safely through the intestines/digestive system on it's way out? It would be quite big piece of material, wouldn't it cause a blockage that would end up costing alot more to correct?

Poor little thing.

It's a big dog. Soft object.

Plenty of fluids and kept active, I reckon there is a chance it will pass through.

However, if it does get "stuck" and surgery is required, I don't think that will be any more risky, in fact a lot less risky, than the process of trying to get it chucked back up - because of the chocking issue.

:laugh:

Oh okay, I just couldn't imagine that it could pass through.... maybe I just didn't want to imagine it!!!

Hopefully it will pass through relatively easily then. Will have fingers crossed!!!

I would still probably see a vet sooner rather than later just to be on the safe side though...

Edited by Kelly_Louise

my old dog ate various thing in his life including a large towelling sock he stole from the wash basket - came straight out the other end - GREEN :rolleyes: :vomit: we didnt even know he had eaten it!

how big is the dog - ie what breed...a lot of dogs pass strange objects they have eaten...