Emergency Help!

One of my dogs once ate about 20 cotton wool balls that were in the bathroom waste basket (yes I know I should empty it more often :vomit: ) They made it to the other end, but he had trouble passing them and I had to pull them out, they were all joined together and brown :rolleyes:

But yes, if he hasn't passed it by tonight, definitely a trip to the vet.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is what my Japanese Spitz ate back in March. The pieces came out bit by bit for a week. The other day my husband caught him was eating a towel. Luckily he only ate a small piece then when my husband caught him.post-7673-1149648435_thumb.jpg

He was fine. He drank shitloads of water and needed out for the toilet about 5 times to pee.

His body is trying to process/eliminate the salt, I suspect.

... we will check all poops tonight, if there is no passage, off to the vet we go!

I worry enough over Kal swallowing things such as freezer bags (her meat wrapping), let alone the thought of a flannel. I can't imagine it disintegrating down fast enough to make the journey through both the large and small intestine. Don't just wait for your dog to poo. Faeces might pass, but the flannel may remain in the gut and rot, setting up toxicity .....

I know a dog this happened to. Swallowed some type of hard rubber ball (don't know where it came from). Owners didn't know until the dog starting fitting. Luckily, it was chance that the owner was home at the time. A rush to the Vet and surgery saved the dog, but only just in time. Going by the look of the ball and the toxicity levels, the Vet suggested the ball had been sitting in the dog's gut for approx 6 weeks. The dog had been urinating and defacating and running around normally until then.

Whilst I hope that you and your dog will simply be lucky, I can only say that I wouldn't be waiting for things to happen. ETA: But then, that's me. I think I was put here on this earth so that Vets could retire early. :rolleyes:

Edited by Erny

He has passed stuff before, the whole skin of a tenis ball (yellow bits), pieces of blanket etc. He loves to eat stuff.

I got the impression he ate the flannel as a "whole piece" ..... did he tear it into pieces as he's done with the above? That's the big difference and I think that's why some of us are alarmed.

When my dog ate my nighty in to pieces as picture shown above, I called the vet and he said that I didn't need to bring him in, but keep a close look for a couple of days and to feed him more than normal. I also gave him lots of olive oil to help him pass. But if your dog ate the whole flannel in one piece, that's not the same as little pieces.

I totally agree wih Erny where he said " the flannel may remain in the gut and rot, setting up toxicity ..... "

He has passed stuff before, the whole skin of a tenis ball (yellow bits), pieces of blanket etc. He loves to eat stuff.

Im going to check him this afternoon too.

If it was me I'd be making sure that he couldn't get into 'stuff' and eat it. Bob was a great one for trying to eat things especially material when he was a pup. I became very neat and tidy. :rolleyes: Even though your dog has passed stuff in the past you might just be unlucky sometime. Not worth it.

How is the dog? Has he been taken to see a vet yet?

If he does this all the time can I also suggest you practice puppy proofing, supervision, even a crate to keep him out of mischief if you can't keep things where he can't get at them.

Well its been along time since we have heard from him. Hate it when things go quiet. Hope he is ok. If he ate a whole flanel sorry guys, do not believe the whole piece would go down the intestines and out his butt. I would have taken my dog to the vet immediately. The vets as nasty as they can be with prices will do an op straight away to save a life, and you could have just paid them off whether they liked it or not.

If indeed this flannel was eaten whole, then a vetrinary visit is a must, in fact he should have been taken last night, stuff the after hours consultation fee. I would rather pay the amount then see my dog suffer, or require more treatment, meaning more money.

I do hope all is well, PLEASE!!!!!!!!! get back to us!!

GOTTA

Don't know about other states but Brisbane uni run 24hr clinics. I think 1 south-1 at the uni and definately on at Carseldine on the north. It is near the railway station.

Took a dog there one night and they were fantastic-just the best treatment.

My vet has after hours but he took nearly 2 hours once to treat what I thought was an emergency.

If you live in a city might be a good idea to check the uni's out.

Dog is fine. It was acctually a piece of cloth, not a flanel, it was about the size of a flannel though, thin cloth.

We found out what it was lastnight when we found the flannel my GF thought he ate. The cloth was from a giant fluffy soccer ball that he ripped up.

He is fine, getting lots of food, running around like mental.

On another note, our AmStaff woke us up throwing up last night (he has thrown up every night since monday, but nothing has come up apart from bile. Last night, he was really heaving and he threw up a piece of corn cob, about the size of 2 50c pieces put together. It was as hard as a rock. Lucky he didnt try to pass it, i think he has been trying to throw it up for a few nights. We havent had corn for a week or so, so i suspect the neighbours who had a BBQ (feral) may have thrown it over, this is bad. If they throw over bones the dogs will fight, or it could splinter and kill them, so i will be watching closely. If i find them throwing shit over my fench like food etc, i wont be impressed.

He gets stuff from a "doggy proof" laundry basket, he pulled stuff through the tiny holes, he works on it for hours. We also dont leave anything apart from toys laying around, the house is pretty much puppy proof, but huskie puppy proof is another matter!

Steve

Well i am glad that your dog is ok and it wasn't as serious as first thought. Again, if his throwing up continues then the vet is needed, his body is trying to tell you something.

Apart from that get you house husky proofed too!! They can get into all sorts of naughty behaviour

GOTTA

You need to have an immediate serious talk with your neighbours, corn cobs can kill dogs, if they don't choke on them they can cause a blockage in the intestines. Had the piece been larger your dog may have died. Corn cobs and dogs definitely don't mix.

phew... glad the hound is okay.

My dog doesn't tolerate big chunks of raw bone (10c piece size) and sometimes hurls them a day or so later too... not cool that your neighbours aren't doing what you asked.

I havent asked them, i just suspect. We havent had corn in a while, and there was no way he could have found a piece of fresh corn cob in the back garden. We have 6ft + privacy fences on both sides, and a factory behind us. The neighbour had a BBQ the other day.

Ill chat to him when i get home, if he kills my dog by throwing shit over my fence ill burn his house down.

Yes we had a similar prob with neighbours throwing stuff over the fence. Couldn't understand whilst on a strict diet Chloe kept putting on weight, but we found she was scoffing bread that the neighbours were throwing over. It certainly is not cool... and these neighbours are the kind that if you asked them to stop, they would do it all the more. Luckily it has stopped or we can get to it first now...

Glad the pup is okay, and hope the other will be fine as well...