Help, Dog Can't Pee

my dally has got up this morning and can't wee. he keeps trying and nothing is happening, should i rush him to the vet? ( double time this morning) or wait? is there anything i can give to flush him out? any advice please

he's at the vet. yes stone, probably lodged in his penis. they are giving him exrays, blood test and then going to try pushing it back up? then if all goes well, he will need surgery to remove them tommorrow.have to call at 4.30pm to see how he is, and hope to bring him home. she said i might like to ring round to get a better price to remove the stones as they are the most expensive vets around. just the only ones open today. not my normal vet. but very new equipped hospital , so hope he will be ok. she has warned me it could rupture .so sad without my top dog here, the other boys are looking for him :love: will keep you all posted, thanks for the support, will read the link now gm, thanks.

Oh the poor boy :cheer:

Will have my fingers crossed that they're able to have it removed before it ruptures. Same thing happened to one of my parents' cats, had a stone and my parents wouldn't listen to me about something being wrong with the cat...was nearly too late for him. But he's still around and he's getting darn old now :love:

she has warned me it could rupture

I'm sorry to hear about your boy, and isn't it typical on a public holiday as well? Used to happen to me all the time but we seem to have gotten through that phase now :love:

I'm just curious about what the vet thinks will rupture? His bladder? I hope they put a catheter in and empty his bladder first thing to put him out of his discomfort. If they do that there should be need to be worrying about anything rupturing.

Good luck and i hope it's not too tough on the hip pocket. Please keep us informed.

well, just heard, she tried moving the stone, but under sedation can not get it to free . so drained the urine out. stones not showing on ordinary exray( after reading dally report expected this). so going to get him now, as they don't have staff there to operate today, so as long as he doesn't drink too much tonight he will be ok. just means the surgery is more urgent tommorrow, was hoping to ring around and get a better price, but may have no choice( oh is furious), may have to use them. will let you know how we go.

:love: think we may have to go with them as its urgent, although was thinking about ringing zammit? has a good reputation . just a bit worried as when i fetched him she said they would try again to flush it back further , and when i asked if it was operable in the position it is in, she said she would have to get another surgeon as it was a tricky spot ( in the tube?) so she didn't feel comfortable .so a bit of a dilemma as to stick with them, or cart him around? he's home now, still unhappy and trying to pee. :cheer:

I am pretty sure that I paid about $1200 (not including the ultrasound)... Ours was done by our vet here in Queanbeyan...

It is a pretty big operation. Ollie was cut from where his testes used to be, to almost his umbilicus...

Fingers all crossed here for you and the pooch...

Cheers

Jodie

thanks sl, gives me a good idea the. she was a very competant vet, new all about it, just that she said she had done lots of these ops, but not in the position its in at the moment. they are a big animal hospital, think they have about 4 around sydney, so i suppose they will get the one most experienced for this? here's hoping it goes ok and it can be shifted a bit in the morning.