Why Does My Puppy's Breath Smell Like A Bum?

Re the slippery elm - the dose for a puppy is roughly a heaped teaspoon mixed in hottish water, you can add some natural honey to make it more palatable, and cool down. You will need to give at least twice a day for at least 3 days. You may also want to think about adding some finely chopped parsley to the puppy's meals it may help with digestion and soothe the stomach but I would only feed light foods while you are administering the slippery elm. Besides those already mentioned, another possible ailment could be an ulcerated stomach due to the worm infestation.

Best wishes for dear the little one, and I hope she continues to thrive and grow strong in your care.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the slippery elm - the dose for a puppy is roughly a heaped teaspoon mixed in hottish water, you can add some natural honey to make it more palatable, and cool down. You will need to give at least twice a day for at least 3 days.

Thanks Carabelle,

I didnt (at first) see that you had posted with a dosage, so was looking it up on the web as well. This is what I'd found:

To give internally, mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Slippery Elm bark powder with cold water for every 10 pounds (4.5kg) of body weight. For very small dogs, it is fine to use the same 1/4 teaspoon dose. The bulk powder may be very fluffy, so pack it down as much as possible to measure it.

Author Anitra Frazier gives the following recipe for Slippery Elm Bark syrup in her book, The New Natural Cat, which applies equally well to our canine companions when adjusted for weight: Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Whip with a fork. Bring to simmer over low flame, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 or 8 days. Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (again, about 10 pounds (4.5kg) ) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize diarrhea, or to soothe and heal mouth ulcers.

The dosage sounds similar (I imagine a heaped loose tsp would equal a packed 1/4tsp)

Hi BittyMooPeeb (love the name)

My reference is Juliette de Bairacli Levy 'Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and the Cat', and the dosage was for a puppy affected with worms. As the book was written some time ago it would not be a metric teaspoon rather imperial teaspoon which is somewhat smaller and would probably equal a 1/2 teaspoon metric tightly packed, so a little more than those reference you have found. Let me know if you would like any further information from the book, you can PM me.

Best of luck with your little one.

Powdered probiotics will work much better than yoghurt. Expensive I know but they won't go to waste because YOU can take them too!! Of course they won't work if that's not what the problem is.

Even yakult will probably be better than yoghurt - just because of the concentration of good bacteria.

I have a 6-8 wk old BC in care, who was found dumped in a plastic bag. She was malnourised and full of worms. Since she's been wormed and started being fed by me instead of her mum (last Saturday), her breath has started to *stink*. It smells like poo - and indeed she occasionally farts the same smell :cry: (but the smell from her mouth is stronger :) ).

I'm not sure what is going on, but it seems to indicate that something is amiss/unbalanced in her gut :thumbsup:

I feed her puppy dry food and a barf mix made with chicken carcass, beef mince and Vets All Natural Complete Mix (Adult) (URL is here). She also gets chicken necks and the occasional liver treat.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong and how to fix it?

This is Lulu the day she arrived (one day after being dumped):

post-6387-1150443024_thumb.jpg

And looking a bit better two days later:

post-6387-1150443106_thumb.jpg

Get her off the VAN adult formula - that will cause all sorts of stomach upset in a small pup. VAN have stated the Adult formula should only be given to dogs over 2 years of age as it can be too much for a pups digestive system. Try her on their puppy formula I think you may find that will make a difference.

Update:

Lulu has been on the new mix plus slippery elm 3 times a day for two days now and the change is remarkable. She doesnt quite smell like roses yet, but is close :rofl: . No more acrid bum breath, and she is more active and putting on weight :laugh:

I feel pretty stupid for not realising that the mix I was giving her was for adults only (I didnt even realise it was labelled 'adult' until I checked the name to start this thread) Though I probably would have just thought that pups needed extra calcium, not that it wasnt suitable for pups.

At least she's happy and non-smelly now. Thanks everyone :D

Update:

Lulu has been on the new mix plus slippery elm 3 times a day for two days now and the change is remarkable. She doesnt quite smell like roses yet, but is close :laugh: . No more acrid bum breath, and she is more active and putting on weight :thumbsup:

I feel pretty stupid for not realising that the mix I was giving her was for adults only (I didnt even realise it was labelled 'adult' until I checked the name to start this thread) Though I probably would have just thought that pups needed extra calcium, not that it wasnt suitable for pups.

At least she's happy and non-smelly now. Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Glad to hear all is going well.

That's great. I'll be looking forward to the updated photos.

Subtle :)

Ok, these were taken yesterday morning (the beautiful 'can I come up on the bed' shots (please excuse the .. ehem ... Ug boot :)), and yesterday evening 'playing with foster dog Blackie')

post-6387-1151047494_thumb.jpg

post-6387-1151047545_thumb.jpg

post-6387-1151047685_thumb.jpg

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

I want to know how you know what a bum smells like? :rofl: :rofl: :eek::eek::eek:

;) Easy! I foster, so I get to smell the rear end (from 20 paces) after they've eaten pound food for a week :eek:

Little Lulu has a home to go to ;) . I will miss her :eek: but she will have a lovely life on acreage with a Rotti brother and a 'mum' who is with her most of the time. The puppies are the hardest to let go ....