Et Trialing/ Training?

I'm looking into doing with with my older GSD sometime in the near future and was wondering what people have done, or are doing, to get their dogs (and themselves!!!) up to it??

And for those that have done it...how was it? what was it like? did you bike or run? share the distance with someone?

Thanks all :hug:

My 7 1/2 year old Cocker done her ET several years ago.

When we started training she was as wide as she was long ( FAT ), we spent about 4 - 5 months training, working up the distance slowly.

On the day she went like a trooper, & passed easily.

I had someone else ride the 20 kms as I was too lazy & it seemed so much easier at the time.

They used to come pick her up every night on the bike & take her running.

I don't care what ANYONE says, a dog that isn't trained & conditioned to do a ET won't do it.

Some dogs won't need as much, but it is important to build up to it slowly.

It is a buzz though to see them come across the line still firing on all cylinders.

Good Luck

I'm planning on doing some swimming work with my girl as well, just as good a work out without all joint wear.

Would love to see a training program for ET though....eg. how many times per week and at what distance and speed.

Have read somewhere that its good to do some cross training eg. short sprints mixed alternated with long jogs etc.

It is also a good idea to practice over at least 3 different terrains, as this is part of an ET.

My girl trained everyday (only cos she was sooooo fat, had to do it slowly). Started by walking to the shop, then around the block, then on the bike, slowly building up the distance.

The test is set a 10km an hour which is a good steady pace for a Cocker.

But as I said you really do need to train for it, there were some GSD's at our ET who hadn't bothered practising (owners thought they would be ok) they were not!!!!

I am doing the ET with my boy in August.

We started training a couple of months ago and we can do 10km easy. I don't think I will have a problem with 20km.

The ET in sydney is held around a dirt track, so I have been training at my local showground.

We are thinking of doing the ET in August this year, too, but we havent started any training yet. She does get taken for a run every morning, though.... I think the training would help me more than her! :hug:

Does is have to be someone who is a member of the NSWCC that actually rides the bike? And can you swap riders part way through?

I've done the ET with my two Dobes (in 2001 and 2003) and did it with a friend's Dobe last year. As far as I know, the handler doesn't need to be a member of the RNSWCC and you can swap handlers.

You can read more about the Endurance Tests I did with my Dobes at the following links:

Link 1

Link 2

Give the ET a go - it sure is fun! :hug:

Darcy my mini poodle got his ET title last Sunday. :hug: I did the obedience bit and my friend Michelle the biking (I suck on a bike). Darce was the smallest participant in the ET by quite a margin.

He is run for an hour a day off lead over bush tracks and open grassland.

About 6 weeks before the ET, we introduced him to the bike and he had one or two 10km rides a week. That increased to 15km two weeks before and he had some 2 hour offlead runs.

Neither his temperature nor heart rate increased over the duration of the ET. His normal resting heart rate is around 65. It was 85 before the start (pretty exciting environment), stayed there for the first two vet checks and it was 64 for the last one.

I maintain that off lead running over varied terrain - lots of hills where I walk - is the best conditioning a dog can have for almost ANY activity. :hug:

Edited to add - it was a requirement of the ACTCA that all handlers be financial members - best to check this with your local canine control. You also need to take the dog to a vet (with paperwork provided by Canine Control) for a vet check within 14 days of the test.

Edited by poodlefan

I'm looking into doing with with my older GSD sometime in the near future and was wondering what people have done, or are doing, to get their dogs (and themselves!!!) up to it??

And for those that have done it...how was it? what was it like? did you bike or run? share the distance with someone?

Thanks all :hug:

KitKat - i did the ET test with my Boxer Rocky (who you will meet on Sunday at Lure Coursing). He was 2years, 2months & 1Day old when he did his test. He actually pulled me the whole way!!! Here's a few links which I've done on ET - First is a list of stuff I thought would be useful for others interested in doing the ET - 2nd is pics of the ET test when we did it in 04 at Laidley with Ipswich Obedience Club.

MayneBoxers Endurance Tips!

Photos from our Endurance Test Group 2 - Laidley 04

Hope this helps!

-WithEverythingIAm aka Angela

ETA - There was only one "SILLY MAN" who actually ran it - everyone else biked it!

Edited by witheverythingiam

I would also just like to add...

GOOD LUCK to all the people who are thinking of doing their test this month as well as next who HAVEN'T STARTED TRAINING yet....

YOU'RE REALLY GONNA NEED IT.

Don't think that every dog who turns up will pass - if you think this, you're DREAMING! There was an Alaskan Malamute who turned up at ours & didn't even pass the 2nd leg - it was withdrawn by the people running it, as it was lagging - I think it was HOT, with all it's fur!

Also, we had a dumb vet, she said after the 2nd check "You know you can withdrawal your dog if you weren't - Boxer's weren't bred to do Endurance" - HELLO?!? Has she not read the Boxer Standard? Said it to quite a few other dog's owners too. & None of these dogs temps were up or panting excessively! But I said, no it's OK, we have done 20KM whilst training, and I know he can do it.

-WithEverythingIAm

Thanks all for the info. :hug:

I have just read all the links. Wow, 2 hours of bike riding.... my backside is hurting just thinking about it. :hug:

Can someone please provide some info on the obedience part? What is required? Thanks. Sorry for the questions - I tried searching the NSWCC website and couldnt find any info on the ET...

Thanks all for the info. :hug:

I have just read all the links. Wow, 2 hours of bike riding.... my backside is hurting just thinking about it. :hug:

Can someone please provide some info on the obedience part? What is required? Thanks. Sorry for the questions - I tried searching the NSWCC website and couldnt find any info on the ET...

Wow - that was 2 years ago! LOL. It's just BASIC obedience. I'm pretty sure it was sit, forward, right about turn, heel, call your dog into a sit in front of you, then return your dog. Basic Obedience

*BIG TIP* - Don't be silly and do the basic Obed offlead at start, as if you do, dog will have to do it off-lead at end of test also! Some dogs won't be willing to actually do as you ask after running 20km! So keep 'em onlead, and you can "LEAD" them to do it at the end :hug:

-WithEverythingIAm

JBBB:

It was pretty basic. Heel for about 15 paces, about turn and heel back (dog not to pull on lead, no auto sit required if you didn't have that). Then a "wait", leave and recall to you (only to end of lead length)... no sit required again.

Judge was looking simply for "willingness to work". Its easy but not a given - we had a dog fail it at the start.. :hug:

I agree - go the onlead option.. no reason not to.

Edited to add, remember to train on the bike at the ET pace of 10 kph... so dog is comfortable gaiting at that speed.

Edited by poodlefan

Padding on the seat, that is THE most important thing I have found.

Having a dobe that went daily for a run conditioning the dog wasnt an issue for me at all, it was more of a case of him not to pull me (which he did all the way except the last lap - yest that is one lap out of 10)

I went for rides beforehand to train for myslef to make the 20km ride.

And Im pleased to say that I appear in casleros link 2 photos as we did it the same year.

Pad your seat, no gel bike seat will save your bum if you are not used to it. I taped a pillow onto mine and it didnt look good but I was ridong on a "sofa"

Edited by myszka

Last time I went for an extended bike ride I ended up with blood blisters in unmentionable places :hug:

That's why I asked if we could swap riders part way though... otherwise I'd probably end up doing the last half of the ride in agony! :hug:

Hey thanks everyone!!! Keep the info and experiances coming...need all the help i can get :bottom:

Also checked out prices of cheapy mountain bikes today...as there is no way in hell that i'll be running the course :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Titles or trials?

Titles are gained the same way around Australia - go to ANKC website for Endurance Test rules.

If you're after trial dates, do you get dog world? You'd have to be a member of your state dog club to get it - it has all the trial dates, and who to send entry for to etc.

-WithEverythingIAm

PS - Yes Cass - have you started training yet? Id' leave it until late summer if you're not doing test until next year?

KitKat how is the training going?
PS - Yes Cass - have you started training yet? Id' leave it until late summer if you're not doing test until next year?

Hehehe...well Bronx and i do a 3km walk fairly regularly but i'm off for major surgery on Monday so that will slow me down for a while (no exercise for 6-8 weeks or some such apparently!) But once all is good again we'll start increasing the distance of our walks and lessening the time - and walk more often kinda thing - when it gets closer to we'll 'train' more seriously :rolleyes: