Parvo - Symptoms And Timing

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Can one of the experts please tell me the symptoms of Parvo - especially how it first presents. How is it different to the symptoms of eating (oh, let's just use as an example) a huge amount of birdseed followed by a couple of sausages, some grapes and probably some onion at a BBQ? The diarhoea (sp) has been pretty gross, and she seemed to be a bit 'off' by yesterday (Tuesday), but still running around like a mad thing at the leash free park.

Then I tried boiled chicken and rice for dinner last night to help with the diaorhea but that was spewed straight back up, however this morning she was fine and very very hungry, so we gave her about half her normal amount of Royal Canin and it was fine.

And is it realistic to expect that one day Stevie (labxGR) will learn NOT to eat whatever is on the floor right in front of her???? We're trying, really!

Guest Stevie'sGreat
Take her to the vet.

Don't take her to offleash parks or anywhere if you think she's sick.

What does it smell like? Parvo has a very distinctive odour...

Thanks Rozzie.

The diarhoea seemed to be getting better, that's why I took her to the park, hoping it was all food related and the more running around she did, the faster it would all go through (she had a very inactive day on Monday, no walk at all). Seems to have worked. There's no particular smell, just normal 'poo' smell.

I had heard that Parvo causes very clear, runny diarhoea, we are still seeing birdseed coming through!

Parvo" is a virus that attacks the lining of the digestive system. It causes dogs and puppies to not be able to absorb nutrients or liquids. Puppies are especially prone to it because they have an immature immune system. When dogs and puppies contract parvo, they often have diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy. Usually they stop eating and develop a bloody, foul-smelling, liquid stool.

Symptoms usually begin with a high fever, lethargy, depression, and loss of appetite. Secondary symptoms appear as severe gastrointestinal distress, such as vomiting and bloody diarrhea. In many cases, dehydration, shock, and death follow.

Parvovirus is characterized by severe, bloody diarrhea and vomiting, high fever and lethargy. The diarrhea is particularly foul smelling and is sometimes yellow in color. Parvo can also attack a dog's heart causing congestive heart failure. This complication can occur months or years after an apparent recovery from the intestinal form of the disease. Puppies who survive parvo infection usually remain somewhat un-healthy and weak for life.

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Thank you Sugar, that's very helpful.

Our instinct was that Stevie was just affected by the odd food. She certainly showed no signs of fever or bloody stools - if we'd seen that she would have been off to the vet in an instant. She also kept drinking and weeing ok.

There have been reports in the papers that Parvo is around in Sydney, that's why I thought I should double-check.

Thanks again.

Whatever you do, make sure that you don't leave foods at Stevie's fingertips or should I say paws? grapes can cause kidney failure, onions can cause anaemia.

And is it realistic to expect that one day Stevie (labxGR) will learn NOT to eat whatever is on the floor right in front of her???? We're trying, really!

Short of a miracle, NO, you could succeed in training Stevie to leave the food well alone whilst you are watching but you can bet your life that as soon as your back is turned, Stevie will show his unique talent at dish washing, lol.

A healthy dog is a hungry dog and as far as my dogs are concerned if its human food then it must be good. Don't let her have the opportunity to eat things that might upset her.

Onions can be really dangerous for dogs.

If she seems bright in her self you shouldn't have to much to worry about. Pups can go down hill very fast so if she seems ill and is still vommiting or has diahorrea you should have her checked by your vet. Better to be safe than sorry.

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Yes fully vaccinated, almost 9 months old now so not a 'little' puppy. Last night and this morning it's as if she hasn't eaten for a week, she's STARVING, you can tell by the length of the drool when we're getting her food ready (or ours). She's also bouncing around like popcorn and harrassing the cat again (cat loves it). Life is just so much fun when you're 9 months old!

She may look and act like she's starving ;) but just go easy on the portions of food you give her till her stomach is back to normal .

No good overfeeding her if she's still recovering or you may end up with the whole procedure again :thumbsup:

Parvo Symtoms: ( 7 day incubation period)

Depression

Anorexia

Persistant vomiting graduating to bloody vomit

Within 24hrs

Foul smelling red/brown bloody diarrhea

dehydration/ shock

subnormal temperature

untreated death.

(myocarditis form) in pups sudden death or signs of heart failure - not as common anymore due to vaccinatons

Those are the signs anyway, but you mentioned feeding him onions at the BBQ. Which may also have something to do with it. Onions are toxic to dogs.

Either way, definitely head off to the vets. And I agree with the others, keep him home and separate him from other family pet members until you are sure of his condition.

Sincerely hope it's just an upset stomach for the poor guy.

jls

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Thanks jls, Stevie's fine now, it was almost definitely the unusual diet over the weekend that set her off. She's back on Royal Canin - I guess at least we have learnt that boiled rice and chicken won't work for our girl, it's amazing how much more came up than seemed to go down!

The poo factor has dried up now too.

We're training her not to accept food without her key word, or pick up any food on the ground, but it's going to take a long time I think. She walks with her head down snuffling all the time, I'm starting to think muzzle and back-brace is the only way! At least if I see her pick something up she's very good at giving it back, but there's only so many times I want to have cat-poo deposited nicely into my hand!!!!

When our 6 month old rottie pup died of parvo he was absolutely fine the Thursday night - playful, bright , eating etc. The Friday morning he was just a little slow getting up in the morning and just seemed a little off. He was taken to the vet straight away that morning (only because I was a paranoid mum) and by the early hours of Sunday morning he was dead.

There was no bloody stools or excessive vomiting.

Hi,

Soooooooooooo very glad to hear it wasn't Parvo :confused:

I'd keep perservering with the no food command, but maybe it's a refletion on me, but mine never listened either, was definitely interested in anything she could lay her paws on.

All the best :confused:

jls