Dandruff

:) Hello to all. I am castell and am the proud owner of a rescue dog. He jis a desexed male staffy. He appears to have dandruff mostly on his back. He gets itchy at times. He tends to smell very 'doggie'about a week after a bath. Otherwise he is healthy. He has been bathed in Dr. Harry's hypo-alleergenic shampoo for sensitive skin. I have a chichahua and she has no problems. Any advice would be appreciated :o

my dog sasha JRT X silky terrier has the same problem i have to bath her in fidos anti itch oatmeal and alovera shampoo because it is the only thing i can use that she does not try to scratch her fur out after a bath. As for the dandruff she still gets that i dont know how to stop it but because she is long haired like a silky terrier i brush her daily which appears to help :)

I'd also look at the diet. :cheer: Just because your Chihuahua is ok, doesn't mean that the rescue will do well on the same thing :cheer:

Do first try a medicated shampoo like those already mentioned because the hypo-allergenic stuff is for dogs with sensitive skin and not for dogs who might have bacteria on their skin :walkdog: This could definitely be the cause of "smelly dog" :thanks:

If his skin is clear and he is still smelly, have a look at the diet and make sure he/she has good quality food. Most supermarket brand foods have cereals as fillers and a lot of dogs' systems disagree with this. Have a go at feeding a premium kibble and or a raw diet and his skin/smelliness will improve. :cheer: There are many premium foods which are formulated for dogs with skin problems. :hug:

Also, and this is for both the OP and SLLH - are you both making sure that you are rinsing out ALL conditioner? :rofl: ;) Any leftover conditioner will flake off and look like "dandruff". Try doing a final rinse when you bath the dog. Pour over a quarter of a cup of white vinegar in a litre of water. :cry:

Hope these suggestions help :)

:cry: Thank you for your suggestions. I shall try the oatmeal shampoo and see how things go. I feed Ty dry food called Bonny, with a little can food for gravy, fresh meat, chicken frames and, of course, bones. Zoe, the chichuahua, does not eat dog meat.'Me, eat dog meat? But i'm not a dog!! :rainbowbridge: I am enjoying being part of this group.Hope to meet you in the chat room or in discussion groups

Thanks to all cheers castell

I feed Ty dry food called Bonny, with a little can food for gravy, fresh meat, chicken frames and, of course, bones. Zoe, the chichuahua, does not eat dog meat.'Me, eat dog meat? But i'm not a dog!!

:cry: No! I am not suggesting for you to eat dog food :cry: I don't know where that came into it?

The rescue dog is called Ty? :laugh: And your Chi is called Zoe? :laugh:

You say Zoe is not eating dog meat. What are you feeding Zoe?

And Ty is getting the Bonny and the canned food?

The meat and bones are very good for both of them.

Maybe the rescue dog, Ty, is not doing well with the Bonny dry food and canned food. This could be giving him an allergy.

Can you answer these questions and then we can help you more

:rainbowbridge:

• 2 weeks later...

How often do you wash your dog? Some dogs just don't tollerate being tub to often, and as a result end up with a dandruff looking skin.

Agree Oatmeal based shampoo, great for irritated skin.

Take away the gravy, no tin food.

I'd change the dry food to a total and balance product. We have a GSD with funny skin and Royal Canin is what we found to be the best, but it's not a cheap product. Although when you add all the coast of special medicated items, vet bills, trying cheaper food, the price of the dry food balances out.

Good luck............................

I would be adding a fish oil to the diet, either in capsule form or perhaps try a can or two of sardines a week.

Medicated shampoos will only alleviate the symptoms not cure the condition

hi, we have a rescue staffy also and when we got her she had quite dry and flakey skin. i took her to the vet for a check up and he checked her under a special light for mites or something and said she was fine. we got aloveen shampoo and conditioner and wash her every fortnight, which helped, but didn't get rid of it. now we give her a generous capful of omega3 oil in her dinner daily and she seems to have cleared right up. i'm not sure of the name of the brand, but i'm sure you can get it in any pet shop. we feed her superfood kibble with tuna or with raw meat and natural yoghurt. hope that helps! make sure you post some pics of your boy :D

:)

hi, we have a rescue staffy also and when we got her she had quite dry and flakey skin. i took her to the vet for a check up and he checked her under a special light for mites or something and said she was fine. we got aloveen shampoo and conditioner and wash her every fortnight, which helped, but didn't get rid of it. now we give her a generous capful of omega3 oil in her dinner daily and she seems to have cleared right up. i'm not sure of the name of the brand, but i'm sure you can get it in any pet shop. we feed her superfood kibble with tuna or with raw meat and natural yoghurt. hope that helps! make sure you post some pics of your boy :D

;) I have heard this is good for them, too. I was advised to give him fish oil and not sardines, as the fish tend to be saulty. I am going to try the fish oil and see what happens. His coat is in rather good nic, even with the flakes. It is very shiney. Thanks for you suggestions. ;)

I feed Ty dry food called Bonny, with a little can food for gravy, fresh meat, chicken frames and, of course, bones. Zoe, the chichuahua, does not eat dog meat.'Me, eat dog meat? But i'm not a dog!!

:) No! I am not suggesting for you to eat dog food :walkdog: I don't know where that came into it?

The rescue dog is called Ty? :cheer: And your Chi is called Zoe? :party:

You say Zoe is not eating dog meat. What are you feeding Zoe?

And Ty is getting the Bonny and the canned food?

The meat and bones are very good for both of them.

Maybe the rescue dog, Ty, is not doing well with the Bonny dry food and canned food. This could be giving him an allergy.

Can you answer these questions and then we can help you more

:D

:thumbsup: sorry 'bout that. I was quoting Zoe. as in the look on her face when I offer her dog food "Me, eat dog food'"

Zoe (the Chi) eats cooked/raw mince, chicken and her favourite, cooked pork ribs. We also give her rice and pasta occasionally.

;) Ty (rescue dog) gets the bonny and a little canned food, plus the fresh bones and chicken frames occasionally.

He seems to have improved since using the alo/oatmeal shampoo. We only bath him once a fortnight, and make sure we rince him properly. ;) Thank you for you reply. It is nice to have the company of other 'doggie'people

hi, we have a rescue staffy also and when we got her she had quite dry and flakey skin. i took her to the vet for a check up and he checked her under a special light for mites or something and said she was fine. we got aloveen shampoo and conditioner and wash her every fortnight, which helped, but didn't get rid of it. now we give her a generous capful of omega3 oil in her dinner daily and she seems to have cleared right up. i'm not sure of the name of the brand, but i'm sure you can get it in any pet shop. we feed her superfood kibble with tuna or with raw meat and natural yoghurt. hope that helps! make sure you post some pics of your boy :)

Thanks. I will get some fishoil and add that to his diet. His coat is very shiny, even with the flakes. I have used the alo/oatmeal shampoo and it seems to have helped. He does not have such a strong 'doggy'smell now. I wash him once a fortnight and so far so good. I am working on some pics of the 'kids'. I have since adopted another rescue dog, and her name is Jazzy. She is a mixed breed and Ty absolutley adores her. They have become best friends very quickly. Zoe, on the other hand is only just beginning to get used to her. Jazzy is still finding her 'place' in the house, but other than that she is a delight to have. ;) I love the support I have found here. Thankyou to all for you help! I shall post some pics shortly :D

castell

Hi Castell

Dandruff is really common at this time of year, not unlike ourselves our skin gets dry and scaley too. Dandruff can be the sign of a serious problem in your dog OR it can be just that- dandruff. Address the dandruff frist then see your vet about other issues after that.

These are 3 simple things you can do to help clear up your dogs dandruff.

1. Wash them more frequestly ie: fortnightly to monthly - this helps wash away loose dry skin and avoids it becoming further infected.

2. Brush your dogs coat more frequently as this helps to stimulate the oil in their coat.

3. Add a tablespon or two of canola or sunflower oil to their dinner, or add as mentioned sardines and another product that is good as it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acid is My Beau available at most pet shops.

Cheers

Leigh K

Hi,

came accross this on a website but haven't tried it so not sure about results

Vinegar is poured into the area and massaged and left to dry for a few minutes.The hair is than washed.

The process is repeated daily until the dandruff dissapears,usually within a couple of days

Good luck

Julie

4 Paws yes it is a remedy but it is apple cider vinegar that is used not just vinegar. Supposedly it balances the alkaline level back to where it should be. If my information is correct hopefully it is