Spread Of Parvo

Have just been made aware of a Vet who has told client that the possibility of them spreading parvo by carrying it on their shoes, hands etc is so miniscule to not warrant any precautions. Can anyone suggest sites, books etc that may persuade this person of the true risk. Or is he right and I have taken extreme precautions all these years for nothing.

Col

All I can say in response to your Vet's advice/statement, based on everything I've read and heard, is :laugh:

Makes me wonder if he worries too much about scrubbing up thoroughly after a parvo case or in case a parvo carrier has been in, between patients.

Will be interested in the comments of others, but my knee-jerk reaction is that I would not stake a great deal of confidence in your Vet ...... unless he has some ground breaking news that I've never heard of.

I can't find my info that says just how few parts per million are required for the transmission of the virus, but it is a tiny, tiny , almost microscopic amount that need to be on the bottom of a shoe. From memory it's about thirty thousand, parts per million, in faecal matter, that is enough to allow transmission.

I wish I could find the info now, I think your vet is crazy and should be shot for making such statements. :laugh:

I'll get back to you, when I can find the site that states this, I have it in a book but that's no good as I don't have a scanner at home.

Edited by Warley

Hi Erny & Warley

Not our Vet thank God. We were warned by a retired breeder not to use this Vet under any circumstances but she would not elaborate. Now we understand why.

A client of his told a group of us that he had given her that advice.

Col

Hi Erny & Warley

Not our Vet thank God. We were warned by a retired breeder not to use this Vet under any circumstances but she would not elaborate. Now we understand why.

A client of his told a group of us that he had given her that advice.

Col

Hi all

I should have said in my original post that so far it is only this one persons word. But they have repeated it on several occassions. However when we moved into the area we were advised by a retired GSD breeder to have nothing to do with this practice. The senior vet has been given the opportunity to confirm or deny that this was their advice but as we are not a client we got the usual confidentiality BS from one of their partners.

The practice is in the Hunter Valley NSW.

Have found a number of vet sites all state humans can spread parvo on shoes, most also mention clothes & hands. One even suggests car Tires (USA hence spelling)

If this person is correct then it contravenes everything that we have been taught at TAFE, and the advice from our vet, fellow breeders and every web site I have visited.

We will be sticking to our strict policy in regard to visitors etc.

Col

The senior vet has been given the opportunity to confirm or deny that this was their advice but as we are not a client we got the usual confidentiality BS from one of their partners.

Confidential? :laugh: What would be so confidential as to expressing one's thoughts on the contagiousness of parvo via the human? Not sure how the question was posed to him, but if it was a straight out question asking his thoughts on the liklihood of Parvo being carried over by a human to other dogs, then I'd suggest you got fobbed off. And if that's the case, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole ..... let alone allow him anywhere near my dog.

Scarey stuff!! My parents were just informed recently when they went to the vet for a booster shot , because their dogs came in contact with one of our rescue dogs, an older lab boy who died from parvo, from renbury, the vet told my parents "crap!, it would not be parvo, because it's the wrong time of the year"!!!!

This vet is from the Liverpool region, which is near Renbury :laugh:

I too would like to inform this vet.

Wrong time of year! :o

They should go and visit some NSW pounds and explain that to the pups who have died and the staff who have to deal with it!

..... Parvo can be tracked in on any surface (including car tyres if you drive over an infected poo).

The big issue is that the vet in question has told one person that you know of..... that means that he has no doubt told numerous others as well. God Help us when some vets are so supremely stupid. I guess it does his business good when there's a mass outbreak of parvo in his area due to his shoddy information.

The person who was told that info should report him to the AVA....... or possibly make a call to one of the vaccine companies and they can pop in with some info for the uneducated/ignorant vet.

Needs a slap. :laugh:

The question was "did you or any staff member tell X that parvovirus could not be spread by humans"?

In regard to AVA not all vets are members and they have no powers to fine members. They can make recommendations to members (which can be ignored). In worst case senario they can suspend or expell them as members. As you do not need to be a member of the AVA to be a vet even that has little or no effect. The AVA in my opinion is a toothless tiger and a complete waste of time! IMO any association that cannot take extreme action against members when warranted really has no purpose.

Until they deny they gave this advice no client of theirs will be allowed on our property or to have anything to do with our dogs. We will make it policy to ask all locals if they use this vet and of course any new puppy buyers we will advise that we do not recommend this practice and why. If that costs us future puppy sales so be it!!!

Col

Great the Hunter Valley, just what we need a outbreak up here like Sydney is getting

Can you please PM me confidentially with the vets location

I will not post it but would like to avoid it at all costs

I've often wondered at the possibility of parvo being airborne. If the virus can remain viable in the ground for 12 months, and you get dry dusty condtions....I wonder? And many viruses can be spread by airborne transmission.

Also apparently after the discovery of the first case of parvo, the virus only took one month to circumnavigate the globe. Thats a lot of people walking in a lot of pooh!

Hi all

Have downloaded info on spread of parvo and sent this with a letter to the vets concerned giving them a chance to confirm/deny they gave this advice.

If they fail to respond our worse still admit to giving this advice then we will take the matter to the Veterinary Surgeons Board as this has the potential to adversely affect us.

Will keep informed.

Col