Puppy Has Dry Skin

A Lappie mum

he is scratching all over he is not damaging his skin but i can see like flakes of skin after he does scratches being a black dog it is very easy to see. he is getting pal natural dry food and some chicken wings not cooked. try a few vegs but gave him the runs.

Get him off the Pal, horrid stuff, I recommend Advance, Large Puppy Growth

I would still check your garden and yard, he maybe laying in something that is making him itchy

What do you bath him in?

have tryed that he threw up for 2 days on that stuff and that was slowly changing it over to that for 2 weeks. he gets bath in fido puppy shampoo soap free stuff. he stays inside for the most of the day goes out to pee and plays for about an hour at time 3 times a day.

Try another food, either do a search on here about BARF - or perhaps Eukanuba, IAMS, Royal Canin, etc.... Pal is probably the worst stuff you can give them. I would also try a very mild, soap free shampoo such as Aloveen made by Dermcare (you can also do a forum search on Aloveen to see the benefits of this shampoo and also leave in conditioner). It is a soothing shampoo which also moisturises the skin. Are you certain he doesn't have fleas? What prevention are you using? I would still check the garden and see what plants you have... do a google on which plants are poisonous to dogs so you can see the photos for a comparison.

Edited by Dru

the only thing that he has access to is grass . using a flea treatment advantage i think cant remember. tj was not from a breeder don't shoot me down for that i came here for help. he was from a litter that was not ment to be ( my friend saved a male lab that was ment to be desexed but was not that was produce a litter of 12 pups) so that's how i got tj. will look into the shampoo.

thank you

Royal Canin does a specific Lab food in both the Adult and Junior ranges...Nutro also does a sensitive skin and coat kibble for pups and adults.

Also when a pup's adult coat comes thru i've noticed that they can get scurfy (dry skin) which shows up especially well on a black coat..

Definately get onto a food with no artificial colors, flavours or additives. I have my dogs on Eagle Pack, its fabulous very worth the money.

Also he may need some more natural oils, try some tinned tuna in water mixed in with a little well cooked rice. Fix the inside and the outside will improve :rofl:

It is a long shot but there is a chance your pup could be allergic to some foods or has a food intolerance (esp if it was throwing up after changing to advance)... if the food change does not work and he is still scratching and/or he gets sick (throwing up or diahorrea) it might be a good idea to get him to a vet.

Spartan is allergic to chicken and has caused us many problems in his lifetime... :confused: This was a particularly difficult food allergy to find because it isn't overly common. More common allergies are to wheat, grains etc.

how often are you bathing your pup? i wouldnt bath him any less than every two weeks. the shampoos can cause the oils to strip from the coat, leaving the skin very dry and can produce the flaking effect.

definatly get off the canned food and switch to a more natural diet with raw foods and bones. try some more omega 3 in his diet too.

There is also a chance that your pup my be allergic to preseratives in dog food, so i would try using something without preservatives, which I think Eagle pack is one of them..... Just check what the ingredients are. I started BARFing (Bones and Raw food) after I found out that my boy is allergic to preservatives in dog food. I now feed fresh meat (mainly chicken mince) and vegies, which he has thrived on.

As for the dry coast, it sounds as though you just need some extra natual oils in the diet. I would try fresh Sardines, which are full of natual oil, or at least tinned, in oil. I also use a supplement called Groom. This has stopped the dandruff in my dogs. Maybe something worth looking at. It is a multivitamin and mineral for horses. Cheaper than the dog supplement and about the same things in it! Available at most livestock feed stores.....

Good luck with you lab. It could be anything, so without seeing him, I would try the natural stuff for at least a couple of weeks and see if there is an improvement. It is all about crossing out what could be making it happen... which of course takes time......

Mel