Puppy Diahorea

eh94

I just brought my puppy home and she has poo-ed 3 times in 5 hours. Each time, her poop is getting more and more watery. My hubby said it could be she is nervous in a new environment. Could this be true? Or is she sick? :confused:

Sometimes a change of environment will upset a puppy but if Puppy has had that much diarrhoea in such a short time I would get the Puppy to the Vet asap , even if it is only to put your mind at rest.

Young puppies dehydrate very quickly . I know it sounds gross but if you can take some of the Poop with you to the Vet it will help the Vet with a diagnosis.

A few questions.

Did you get her from a registered breeder a pet shop or a pound?

How old is she? Has she had at least her first immunisation?

Is she just having loose stools or is she vomiting as well?

Need to know answers to all this to help you, the reason being is that Parvo starts off with diahorea proceeds to vomiting and very lethargic.

Another couple of reasons are worms, or she has been fed too much for her system to cope with and also change of diet.

Get back to us with answers to these questions and there are plenty of us on here who maybe able to point you in the right direction.

If the diahorea continues I would be getting her to a vet, and it is very important with this sympton to keep up the fluids as they dehydrate very quickly and that is very serious, if she will not lap get a syringe and syringe water into her mouth, open the flew cheek area, forms like a pouch, and syringe water in very slowly about 20ml every hour.

I got her from a pet shop (I got 2 other pets from them before and they have been really good, which is why I went back to them).

Born 24-06-2006 - stated in her vaccination card

She got her 1st vaccination on Monday 24July 2006.

She is not vomitting. Only runny poop.

She is NOT lethargic...happily biting toys but I gave her some puppy wet food and she only had a little. Disinterested in dry food. But drinking water...and peeing...

She is eating lamp treats and happily licking a brand new pig's ear...both of which the pet shop recommended.

Thanks....

A few questions.

Did you get her from a registered breeder a pet shop or a pound?

How old is she? Has she had at least her first immunisation?

Is she just having loose stools or is she vomiting as well?

Need to know answers to all this to help you, the reason being is that Parvo starts off with diahorea proceeds to vomiting and very lethargic.

Another couple of reasons are worms, or she has been fed too much for her system to cope with and also change of diet.

Get back to us with answers to these questions and there are plenty of us on here who maybe able to point you in the right direction.

If the diahorea continues I would be getting her to a vet, and it is very important with this sympton to keep up the fluids as they dehydrate very quickly and that is very serious, if she will not lap get a syringe and syringe water into her mouth, open the flew cheek area, forms like a pouch, and syringe water in very slowly about 20ml every hour.

did the p shop warrant ya pup...ya really need to take her to the vet they will give her some scourban for the runs...pet shop give it to the puppies all the time as they all stress...and ya baby will dehydrate if it continues...i would take her just to get the pup checked

Pups can get diahorrea from many things - eg.change of environment and change of food.

Are you feeding the same food as the pet shop?

Usual treatment for diahorrea is no food of any kind for 24hours. Make sure pup is drinking during that time.

I usually give them water via a syringe into their mouths every few hours to ensure they are not getting dehydrated.

When you feed again start them on a bland diet of boiled chicken & rice.

Take away the piggy ear until they are over the diahorrea.

If you are worried or if the pup has a temperature or looks distressed or depressed - take it to the vet.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. Pig ears give runs eh? I better take it away then. Her poo were less watery this morning and afternoon. But after dinner poo was watery again. I shall take away the pig ear. She is still very playful and still whines....I wish I am Dr Dolittle so that I know what she wants because even when she is being cuddled, she whines a bit here and there....so frustrating that I can't understand her!

If you think she is well enough not to take to the vet ( although I would suggest anyone take their pups to their vet within 48 hours of purchasing a puppy from anywhere...) for a checkup, there are a couple of things that you can do to try to rid of the poop situation. Most of the time it is due to change in diet and environment. Admittinly, I would be a bit stressed if I was taken away from my littermates and put into a new situation as well!

Try:

Cooked pumpkin, mashed and added to their dinner

Yohurt, but must have Acidophallis (sp?) in it. I use Bonnhoffin or Yukhult!!

Cooked rice and cooked beef mince (human quality)

If tyou are feeding a different dog food to the pet shop, then you should expect a bit of the runs..... It may not agree with their stomach at the moment. Give at least a week on the new food before trying to change it over. to something else.

Hope this helps

Mel

Thanks Mel. I fed Hana the same food and told the pet shop what happened. They said her brothers didn't have firm stools as well. Brought her to the vet on Sunday as I felt, when humans have diarrhea for so many days, they would have to gone to the docs...vet couldn't pin the cause. It is day 4 since we got her and her stools are still unpredictable. She is now on a diet given by the vet..I think it is chicken and rice...I hope she will get better...but she doesn't eat much. She drinks though..

If you think she is well enough not to take to the vet ( although I would suggest anyone take their pups to their vet within 48 hours of purchasing a puppy from anywhere...) for a checkup, there are a couple of things that you can do to try to rid of the poop situation. Most of the time it is due to change in diet and environment. Admittinly, I would be a bit stressed if I was taken away from my littermates and put into a new situation as well!

Try:

Cooked pumpkin, mashed and added to their dinner

Yohurt, but must have Acidophallis (sp?) in it. I use Bonnhoffin or Yukhult!!

Cooked rice and cooked beef mince (human quality)

If tyou are feeding a different dog food to the pet shop, then you should expect a bit of the runs..... It may not agree with their stomach at the moment. Give at least a week on the new food before trying to change it over. to something else.

Hope this helps

Mel

they could all have allergies or sensitivities...

or parasites. Get the stool checked out.

Worm her, keep her on boiled chicken MEAT ONLY and plain rice. Her appetite will be a little low, maybe try some Nutragel or a puppy specific multivitamin liquid/paste/powder. Pigs ears are way too fatty for baby puppies especially one with a sensitive tummy. Cut out all artificial food and pork products.

Frankly this dog sounds like a candidate for a raw diet.

Just a quick update - Hana spent the night at the vet as doc wanted to monitor her as she didnt eat since Saturday night. Doc did an x-ray on her tummy and found lots of gas build up in her abdominal area, suggesting something might be blocking and affecting her intestines. Her stools were green, smelly and watery. Doc did a qick test for pavro (one of those similar to pregnancy tests) came out negative but he's not confident so will do a traditional pavro test just to make sure.

I'll keep ya'all posted.