Can't Leave His Site

Hunter

Hi Guys

I have been spending all my time looking on the internet and reading up about this but just get the feeling I am doing something wrong and I do not want to turn my pup into a neurotic dog. We have just got a male English Cocker Spaniel. We got him last Friday (4th Aug) and he was 9 weeks on 6th August.

He is a very good dog and is learning fast with all the other aspects of puppy behaviour except he cannot bear to be out of my site. We have a box at the moment which is his den - it is open at the top (so I can dangle my arm in at night) but he can't see out of it - perhaps this is the problem?

At night he is fine nothing at all from day one - clean crate always and we are now at one pitstop a night.

I work from home so it isn't that I plan to leave my dog all day when I go to work like many do but I am trying to get him used to having his own time because obviously we will need to leave the house at some point!

He can't seem to do anything on his own - if I leave him when he is eating he just stops eating and leaves his food to come and be by me. He isn't interested in his toys that much unless you initiate play with him.

After two days settling in we put him in his box with several chew toys, a kong, an edible chew bone thing and a soft dog thing plus his blanket he came with. He totally freaked out even though we were still moving around in the house and letting him know he wasn't on his own. He didn't draw breath so I was puzzled how I go back and reward his behaviour immediately and not go to him when he is carrying on because he didn't stop so in the end we have to go back. He wound himself up so much he peed and was hot and shaking. (We had made sure we had a good play session and toilet time before we did this.) We tried it another couple of times and once he did stop after 20 mins and fell asleep and I was there when he woke up but after that it went back to the usual none stop whining.

So what do I do if he doesn't give me chance to go and reassure him and I shouldn't go back if he is barking as it rewards him what do I do? I am also worrying that he will begin to associate his box/crate with unhappiness and seperation rather than a safe place?

HELP - I don't want to spoil my dog and turn him into an unhappy dog! :thumbsup:

I agreed with Miranda with the crate. Crate training is very effective and give the puppy his own space to go back to. You can put his bed into the crate, so that crate area is play area plus bed for sleeping. I am in the same situation as you, I have a 9 week puppy now and work from home temporarily.

On the first day I put her in a crate, she panicked. Then I sat down with her and calmed her from outside the crate. Once I'm gone from her sight (on purpose), she howled 20+ times, each time 10+ mins. I ignored her totally whenever she did that. She is a large puppy so the noise was 10 fold that of small puppies. I put on ear plugs and apologised to the neighbours.

By second day, the length of howling shortened to half, and she tried whining, it's heart wrenching to hear but I ignored. Everytime she stopped for 5 mins, I entered room, no looking, drink water and then go to her for cuddle. Cycle repeats.

By third day, she howled only 5 times, each time 5 howls. So there you go, persistence is the key. Once you know their games, it's easy peasy. :thumbsup: By the way, today is the 6th day for me and she has understood when is her puppy time and when is my private time. I can go out for 2.5 hours without worrying.

Oh one tip for you, do you have two computers? I set up a computer with webcam in her room to watch her 24hours. I work from another room. So sometimes I can see her whine a few times and look at the door to my room, she's trying her luck. When I don't respond, she play with her toys. And also set the radio on to very low volumn, it helps. I tune mine to ABC channel, all talkshows in monotone. LOL!

Hope this helps.

p.s. pls excuse my grammar.

Edited by flycow

I agreed with Miranda with the crate. Crate training is very effective and give the puppy his own space to go back to. You can put his bed into the crate, so that crate area is play area plus bed for sleeping. I am in the same situation as you, I have a 9 week puppy now and work from home temporarily.

On the first day I put her in a crate, she panicked. Then I sat down with her and calmed her from outside the crate. Once I'm gone from her sight (on purpose), she howled 20+ times, each time 10+ mins. I ignored her totally whenever she did that. She is a large puppy so the noise was 10 fold that of small puppies. I put on ear plugs and apologised to the neighbours.

By second day, the length of howling shortened to half, and she tried whining, it's heart wrenching to hear but I ignored. Everytime she stopped for 5 mins, I entered room, no looking, drink water and then go to her for cuddle. Cycle repeats.

By third day, she howled only 5 times, each time 5 howls. So there you go, persistence is the key. Once you know their games, it's easy peasy. :thumbsup: By the way, today is the 6th day for me and she has understood when is her puppy time and when is my private time. I can go out for 2.5 hours without worrying.

Oh one tip for you, do you have two computers? I set up a computer with webcam in her room to watch her 24hours. I work from another room. So sometimes I can see her whine a few times and look at the door to my room, she's trying her luck. When I don't respond, she play with her toys. And also set the radio on to very low volumn, it helps. I tune mine to ABC channel, all talkshows in monotone. LOL!

Hope this helps.

p.s. pls excuse my grammar.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I will go and by a crate - I have also seen a fence pen type thing that you can make out an area for them then I could put his crate in there with a space outside for water, etc?

I will then put my ear plugs in and have to harden up a bit.

I have the radio on already.

I just get so worried he'll overheat or something!!

The last time we did it he peed and everything even though we had just spent time outside for toilet stop and playtime.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I will go and by a crate - I have also seen a fence pen type thing that you can make out an area for them then I could put his crate in there with a space outside for water, etc?

I will then put my ear plugs in and have to harden up a bit.

I have the radio on already.

I just get so worried he'll overheat or something!!

The last time we did it he peed and everything even though we had just spent time outside for toilet stop and playtime.

I am using the fence type pen now, one warning though, some cheaper pens are lightweight, puppy can push over, so grab some bricks to hold it down or something. Or get a solid one.

You put the bed in the pen . Food and water dish goes in the pen. The rule is puppy eat and sleep and spend quiet alone time in the pen. toilet OUTSIDE the pen. The toilet part you decide if it's outdoors or indoors. If indoors, spread some newspapers near the pen, not too close but can be seen by puppy. Generally timing schedule is sleep-wake-pee, play-pee, eat-poo+pee, play-pee again etc. Every puppy is different so you observe the timing and note it down. Always feed at fix times so you can predict the poo times.

Is he toilet trained yet?

We used a puppy pen with our pup, however he wasn't a big fan and pushed it around and cried when he was in it. So once he was big enough to go through the dog door we put up baby gates and give him gave him his "own space".

In terms of the crying, when you leave him etc. that takes time. Our puppy cried and screamed when we left him so we left him for 30mins then 1 hr etc etc. (I am with him most of the time)

He is now 6 months and he is quite content when we leave.However, when we leave the room that is when he starts to whinge, however he does quiten down after 5 mins.

Okay, so I'm not getting my pup for a while yet, but I've already been thinking about this problem and how I can solve it... :laugh: My sister had a baby and she's nearly 7 months old now so I can use her BABY MONITOR!!! It has a video attachment and can be set to be activated by sound. So kind of like a web cam, but more portable.

The problem often is people make a big deal of the pup from day1,they carry it around baby it & create an insecure feeling.When it whines everyone jumps.

Obviously you have to be attentive to noises & its important to listen to the noises & understand which one goes with what.Our dogs have a distinct noise for toilets,alerting & the a general whine that doesnt get a response.

English cockers can be very clingy & whinge alot but its very important to ignore but do so with feeling.

When you feed do you leave the food down if he follows??

Leaving for short times is a start & its very important not to make a big deal when you return,go out & walk into the house ignoring the pup,you also must leave in a very confidient positive fashion.

Some dogs dont cope well when leaving there home & now this pup is looking at the people for pack leadership,you at present have become its mum & as such you need to think like a dog not a human.

The key here is do all things in small baby steps but keep with it you must win the battle no matter how small it is so the dog knows all is well.

Things will settle just be consistant with a routine & dont react to all noises

Thanks everyone - it's so good to get peoples info even though I have been reading every bit of puppy info I can get my hands on. Got the wire crate - has defo helped. He is getting much better. I think he is going through a growth spurt as he is getting heaps more interested in his food and now the Kong is finally getting his attention. He stops whining and barking after about 20 mins so that's getting better!! Horray. We never make a fuss leaving or coming back just straight outdoors and the only time we pick him up is for a treat to lie on our knee for a tummy rub or to go pee! His house training is again getting there and he is starting to go to the door when he wants to go but this isn't quite consistent all the time but he is doing very well.

Any advice on snapping and biting - he bites a lot when he plays and when you tell him off he gets a bit snappy - we have tried squealling and walking away, tapping his nose, holding his nose but as soon as we go back he is right back in there. I know he's a puppy and needs to chew just want him to grow out of it and not turn into a snappy dog.

OK its been 20 mins with no crying time for a pee, playtime and a treat!!!!! (for the dog of course!

Thanks again folks!

Noise therapy for pups - carry a piece of metal quietly and as soon as he does something wrong, throw it on the ground, bang it, scream your head off and walk away. He'll work it out.

Give him something else to chew on and play with.

Edited by Benji's Mum

Noise therapy for pups - carry a piece of metal quietly and as soon as he does something wrong, throw it on the ground, bang it, scream your head off and walk away. He'll work it out.

Give him something else to chew on and play with.

Sounds like a Barkbusters method and not something I would personally recommend to anyone with a new pup. The only thing you will end up with is a very skittish and freaked out puppy.

Best bet is to ignore the puppy when he is carrying on then the moment he stops praise him like crazy- puppies respond much better to praise.

Fair enough, my rescue pup is older and I only did it few times but it worked really well in the beginning to stop her jumping all over me.

I use NILIF and she sits beautifully every time she comes near me.

I have heard of NILIF a few times unfortunately I havent had a chance to research it yet. Sounds like it works - my only concern would be if the pup is suffering separation anxiety the additional stress of being frightened may cause more problems instead of fix it.

Maybe Haven or Herr Rottweiler can shed some light on this. Either of you reading this post and have any suggestions.

For nipping, I am using a squirt bottle at the moment, the puppy school trainer recommended this so I'm trying it out. I do a loud firm "aaaaaaaaaaaaah" to stop nipping or other extremely naughty stuff. Two tries is the max, then I "aaaaaah" and squirt the water onto my pup's face (not eyes though). Sometimes I am two steps away (like outdoors) I set a stronger jet on the bottle. Seems to be working so far. Oh and personally I am not using it unless absolutely necessary, I don't want her to resent me. And lots of praise and play afterwards once she's good.

p/s :edited for spelling errors.

Edited by flycow

Cockers are gundogs so by nature are very mouthy breeds.Its important that any game you play doesnt encourgae the dog to be mouthy,when the dog gets over the top divert the behaviour,use it as a training moment.

The dog snapping back is being dominate & depending on your reaction the dog has won so it has achieved nothing.

I have setters,they will carry my hand around but there are boundries ,i dont have an issue with it but they also now the word gentle & if they try & go overboard that when i change the play to something that stops the behaviour & i come out the winner,it can be a very simple thing .Just be patient,when pup is rough be calm calmly say gentle if it doesnt respond walk away