Natural Arthritis Remedies?

Kaz

The new mum of one of my ex-foster dogs rang me the other day to ask my advice on some natural remedies for arthritis as the vets close to her don't have any interest in alternative therapies.

Wolfy is about two years old and probably around 30 to 35 kilos - a rottweiler or bernese mountain dog cross we think. He occasionally favours one foot when he gets up from a long sleep. He has also limped slightly once or twice after a run. NEw mum believes it is arthritis and her other dog also has it. I've advised her to take him to the vet to get it checked out but I promised I would get back to her with some suggestions and doggy dosages etc.

Have you noticed, if you rescue and rehome a dog, the new owners seem to think you actually have some expertise!

With help from DOL, so far I've managed to fool them!

The best remedy I have come across, whether for people or dogs, is Syn-Flex, from the US. If you buy at least 6 bottles at a time it is much cheaper.

Arrives within a week of ordering too :thumbsup:

All natural - contains glucosamine, chondroitin, antioxidants, vitamins, bromelain, yucca etc, in a liquid form so it is utilised much better than tablets or powders.

Green liped sea mussel is also great for arthritic dogs. If your mum is in Sydney maybe refer her to

www.naturalvet.com.au

Barbara has actually written a book on natural alternatives which is very informative, you can also purchase chinese herbs etc from their surgery.

it may not even be arthritis....

could be a badly healed break,leading to pain , a malformed bone/joint....anything.

try here, tho...

www.wholisticanimal.com/

I've recommended she takes him to a vet to gave it checked out. My biggest fear is that it. is the onset of hip dispasia but I don't want to assume that until a vet says so. Our own rescued pup already has bilateral hip and elbow displasia and after two operations and several thousand dollars later, he's still not right. So I'll be trying some of the suggested remedies myself.

I doubt its a longtime injury as she showed no sign of this when I had him but maybe its just starting to show.

The lady has espressed an interest in trying chemist bought fish oil and glucosomine but she is unsure of the dosages for a dog of that weight. She also believes that this will only be effective if vitamin E is taken at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice on this? It would be much appreciated.

The lady has espressed an interest in trying chemist bought fish oil and glucosomine but she is unsure of the dosages for a dog of that weight. She also believes that this will only be effective if vitamin E is taken at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice on this? It would be much appreciated.

I havent heard this but I just checked my tub of Joint Guard and it contains Vitamin E so maybe this is true :cry:

Thanks for the info guys, I will be printing it all out and passing it on. I will also be trying some on my pooch.

The only thing missing is dosages for fish oil, glucosomine and vitamin E if bought from a chemist. Wolfy is 35 kilos ( at a guess) and still not sure how much I should tell his mum to give him.

Kaz

my elderly Dane was put onto glucosamine with fish oil and the vet reccommended 1500mg of glucosamine per day. He is 58kg. My 34kg ridgeback cross gets 1000mg and my kelpie sized girls get 500mg per day. Hope that helps.

I use the MSM powder on myself!

Jo

Thankyou everyone for all this information. I spoke to Wolfy, Mum tonight and read out all the posts while she wrote the info down. She will be taking him to the vet tomorrow for a checkup but will definately be going the alternate remedy route as well.

My rhuematologist has put me on glucosamine & suggested fishoil as well, so Im betting that it would help a dog's arthritis as well. Good news she is taking him to the vet, better to get it checked & find out the exact problem :rofl: .