What Are The Big No-no's For Feeding To Dogs?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooked meats are O.K. in small portions such as table scraps but there's no way you can justify cooking human grade chicken to feed your dog.

Raw meat gives loads of great enzymes for the dog to digest its food and cooking kills these off. Also giving meat without the bone causes all kinds of skeletal problems as well as many others which take a while to show up. Raw chicken wings are great . There is a chemical in raw egg white which stops one nutrients from absorbing but there is so much of the nutrient in egg yolk that its all balanced and everything is great .Raw egg is the most digestible form of protien and all of the nutrient tables use these as a base measurement to compare protein assimilation and absorption qualities. Feed the shells as well and you have everything needed in just the right balance.

Can I ask about the liver? Why is it bad to give pups liver? I use 100% dried or baked liver as our training treat. I have heard that if they have too much liver it can give the squirts, but I don't feed it as a meal. Is this the only reason liver would be a no no?

Can I ask about the liver? Why is it bad to give pups liver? I use 100% dried or baked liver as our training treat. I have heard that if they have too much liver it can give the squirts, but I don't feed it as a meal. Is this the only reason liver would be a no no?

It's not bad to give liver, but liver is a rich source of vitamin a which in large amounts can be toxic. Using liver as treats and a small amount in the diet [i think it's 10%] is fine. Some dogs do get the squitters on even a small amount of liver though.

Cooking bone in mince (which you would feed for the calcium) destroys the calcium.

Onions

Raw potatoes

Grapes

Raisins

Chocolate

TOO MUCH garlic. A small amount is ok, and is said to repel ticks and fleas.

Liver, hearts, kidneys etc are fine. If you feed large amounts, they are too rich, hence diarrohea. A little is good for dogs.

Cooking bone in mince (which you would feed for the calcium) destroys the calcium.

Calcium is quite stable when heated or frozen. The problem with cooking ground bone in mince is the way bones become quite brittle, almost like little shards of glass and could cause intestinal problems.

I feed my 2 cooked mince and boiled eggs (sometimes raw). I dont feed any bone in their mince at all! It's far less messier with their big floppy ears :rofl: I do feed them raw chicken wings so it's not all cooked stuff I feed them. Also, the cooked stuff is only a tablespoon or so with their kibble. I also feed them carrots and other veges (raw).

They get fish oil tablets and canned salmon, tuna or sardines for their coats. I try to give them fresh fish when I buy some for us to cook. Because I feed them chicken wings so often (once a day or 1 every 2 days) I thought it'd be best to give them a bit of cooked stuff. They dont have a problem with it and loves steak (semi cooked). Orson can't take raw red meat but can tolerate cooked or semi-cooked red meat. dont know why :mad

Im trying not to feed them raw egg until i can provide a method where I dont have to wash their ears every single time!!!

There's not a huge amount of poop in my garden so it must mean they're digesting most of it...I hope :laugh:

So raw eggs (yolk & white) are ok? We have chooks & they have just started laying & soon I will have a glut of eggs, so I want to give them to the dogs - read somewhere it makes their coats shiny! :(

So raw eggs (yolk & white) are ok? We have chooks & they have just started laying & soon I will have a glut of eggs, so I want to give them to the dogs - read somewhere it makes their coats shiny! :(

Yes raw eggs are fine, if your dog's tolerate them. I think most people only give one or two a week. The oils in them would help with a shiny coat.

So raw eggs (yolk & white) are ok? We have chooks & they have just started laying & soon I will have a glut of eggs, so I want to give them to the dogs - read somewhere it makes their coats shiny! :rofl:

Yes raw eggs are fine, if your dog's tolerate them. I think most people only give one or two a week. The oils in them would help with a shiny coat.

Thanx bloss - 1 or 2 a week :scold: I was hoping more 1 or 2 a day, when you get about 40 eggs a week you have to get rid of them somehow :scold: . Bugger I will have to look at some other way :rofl: .

Cool - so human grade chicken mince is OK to give cooked?

no.

it wont do any harm in terms of an upset stomach, but it comes down to the calcuin:phospherous ratio. not enough calcium and too much phospherous in human grade mince. for the dog to correct the balance it will leach calcium from its bones! not a good idea.

cooking meat also denatures a lot of the essential amino acids, therefore destoring a lot of the nutients.

plus, why cook it when you can feed it raw? a lot of ppl worry about bacteria, this is not a problem with dogs, they have a higher stomack acidity then us and the majority of harmful bugs don't make it past. remember that dogs quite often bury bones to eat days leter, and they are naturally scavengers.

if you are feeding cooked chicken mince as a significant portions of you dogs diet, slowly (over a week) change it over to raw chicken wings (they're cheeper too) or if you dog has a weight problem, chicken necks with a little added mince.

(sorry Nellie, it isn't all to you or an asumption of you, its to every one who might need to know, using you quote as a example.)

Calcium is quite stable when heated or frozen. The problem with cooking ground bone in mince is the way bones become quite brittle, almost like little shards of glass and could cause intestinal problems.

raw bones crush, cooked bones splinter, very deadly

Thanx bloss - 1 or 2 a week :scold: I was hoping more 1 or 2 a day, when you get about 40 eggs a week you have to get rid of them somehow :scold: . Bugger I will have to look at some other way :rofl: .

Friends and family will take them off your hands. Everyone loves fresh free-range eggs. When I had chooks I couldn't keep up with people willing to take them.

You could probably feed your dogs more eggs but cut out some of their meat so they don't put on weight. Eggs are an extremely bioavailable source of food.

Interesting replies saying that too much potato causes Bloat.....University Studies show that they don't know 100% what causes bloat but have some therories such as the higher the bowl is elevated the higher the risk of bloat....never saw anything in the report about potato.

Thanx bloss - 1 or 2 a week :mad I was hoping more 1 or 2 a day, when you get about 40 eggs a week you have to get rid of them somehow :rofl: . Bugger I will have to look at some other way :mad .

Friends and family will take them off your hands. Everyone loves fresh free-range eggs. When I had chooks I couldn't keep up with people willing to take them.

You could probably feed your dogs more eggs but cut out some of their meat so they don't put on weight. Eggs are an extremely bioavailable source of food.

We obviously dont have enough friends :mad ;) .

When we had chooks at our last house we gave away eggs left right & centre to everyone we knew, hubby even used to *swap* eggs for a coffee with the guys at work ie he gave them a dozen eggs, they bought him a coffee at morning or afternoon tea at the coffee shop :scold: . Still had more eggs than we knew what to do with :rofl: & this time we're planning on having more chooks, only got 6 atm but we want to get some bantams & others :scold: .

I will introduce them slowly into the dogs diets & see how I go with them :( .

Interesting replies saying that too much potato causes Bloat.....University Studies show that they don't know 100% what causes bloat but have some therories such as the higher the bowl is elevated the higher the risk of bloat....never saw anything in the report about potato.

I was always told that giant breeds need to have their bowls elevated to reduce the risk of bloat but I don't have a giant breed so I can't say too much on that subject.

On the subject of potato. I think raw potato could be an issue because of the way that it ferments (after all potatoes are made into a pretty heavy-duty alcohol in Russia!).

Also wise to know that any potato given should NOT include the potato from immediately under the skin.

People shouldn't necessarily eat this either. If you've ever had any experience with the Failsafe Diet (elimination diet for humans) it says that the concentration of salicylates is highest closer to the skin.

There is a higher incidence of bloat in dogs fed commercial dog food than in those fed raw and one of the reasons may be that raw food isnt fed in bowls .Feeding a dog from an elevated bowl increase the chances by about 40 % according to Cornell uni .

Some studies have shown you can reduce the incidence by feeding off a flat bowl rather than a scooped on as well. Not enough evidence to blame potatoes over something like grains or carbo hydrates so as long as you feed lots of different foods with variety there's little chance of a problem. Too much of anything can cause problems .Its all about small amounts of lots of different foods rather than large amounts of just a few.