Toilet Problems

Koilz

BellaBaby, I would love a house full of Cavs so I understand your dilemma!!! Cavvies are lovely. My landlady cared for mine (and my BCx) whilst I was in Fiji. A close friend of hers met her and fell in love with the breed. She adopted one from rescue a few weeks later and keeps telling my landlady what a wonderful dog Cavs are :) My landlady would love to adopt one but she didn't think it's fair on her 11yo beagle. When I am out, people would stop and cuddle my Cav and she laps up all the attention.

My dad thinks my pup might be agnry at me for something and is doing it to show me he's mad, but I don't think my fur kid thinks that hard about anything.

Dogs don't think like that :)

I would suggest you go to your book store or research online for a toilet training program and start from scratch, it will be something that you are doing which is meaning the dog isn't toilet training correctly.

Yeah, I'm totally smitten with cavaliers now.

My boyrfriend's family have always had them and he would never have any other dog. I grew up with a big german sherpherd X lab so I've always loved big dogs. After bad experiences living with an awful maltese I never thought I'd like little dogs until I met his mum's two cavs.

Now I love them so much I'm trying to talk my grandparents into getting a cav!

I had always thought that I'd probably end up in Cavs as my "retirement" breed. But I seem to have found my way back into American Cockers. Think I need my head read. Wash-n-wear Staffords back to stressing over coat! :)

Might still end up with a Cav one day but at this stage am definitely leaning more towards Pugs.

Your babies are all beautiful! I love Cav's. I always new one day I would have one. I waited forever to get one. I waited until I was finished having children. I waited till I knew I could afford to do everything right with training and health care. And now I finally have him and love him to pieces!!!

:) I have similar problems with my 16 week female pure breed puppy, she wees when excited and it is quite obvious that she does not even know when she is weeing. I've spent all my time with her before and after feeding etc. Only method I found works is crating her but this seems extreme when I am available to be vigilant with her. I've just purchased a non pure breed male and he is easy makes it obvious by noise that he wants to go out and is helping to teach her as he is getting huge praise for going outside. Our grass is some way from the back door and we have workmen at present in back yard. So I am hoping she will finally get it. Anyone with any other suggestions?

This is a little bit out of left field but Bailey was a shocker to train!!

We did all the stuff that was suggested above but we also covered the carpet in the living room with plastic matting (you get it from bunnings) until he trained!! It worked a treat as the plastic was not so nice to wee on! Then every week we took away one piece of the matting and hey presto! Toilet trained dog!!

Chelsea on the other hand was toilet trained at 10 weeks!!

Mel

We have a delightful Cav boy who is the absolute love of our lives (so far...no kiddies yet!). From the moment we got him, we trained him on newspaper in the laundry whilst indoors but outside most of the time. He's 8 months now and its great because he knows that when we are home he is to go outside but if we aren't at home, he has the laundry option. As he gets older Ihave noticed that he prefers to hang on if we aren't home and just wait but obviously if we go away for the day we can't expect him to hang on. Our backyard backs on to a freeway so a doggy door is not an option (they can dig the little buggers!)

I dont have a chance to read the whole topic... but I saw something about "a breed thing" - I'd just like to say I had no trouble toilet training either of my cavalier king charles spaniels, so its definatley NOT a breed thing ;) :laugh:

I have a one year old tri boy. I agree with ellz. The only way to train a young pup (regardless of breed) is to take him/her outside the minute he wakes up and be watching all the time. As soon as the pup stops jumping around and sniffs the floor even if it is only once, out you go, if the pup has a drink out you go, if the pup wakes from a sleep out you go. There can be no hesitation as the pup like with all training needs consistency to understand the rules. At the moment it is a bit of hit and miss therefore he really doesn't know he is doing anything wrong, certainly he is not angry with you. Please don't leave him outside all of the time Cavies are definitely inside dogs.

Well Winky is getting much better with his toilet training. I'm even trying to get him to pee on command - which is only kinda working.

He has still had a couple of slip ups, but A LOT better. The thing that did it was putting him on a lead when I took him outside - he now knows I mean business and he can't run off and play.

Lozzie - my parents have two whippets, and the boy still wees out of excitment when the breeder (my parent's friend) visits because he loves him so much!