Toilet Problems

Koilz

My beautiful fur kid (a 16-week-old CKCS) is having problems getting the hang of toilet training.

It's got so bad my partner wants to keep him outside all the time because he just won't stop weeing on the carpet.

The problem is I don't know why he won't go outside.

He knows to poo outside, and everytime he wees outside I give him lots of praise.

I take him outside regularly just in case he needs to go, but he will still wee inside. Often right in front of me.

He doesn't go in the same spot each time either, and I use a good carpet cleaner to get rid of the smell. (I was rubbing the carpet so hard the other night to get the stain out my fingers bled)

My dad thinks my pup might be agnry at me for something and is doing it to show me he's mad, but I don't think my fur kid thinks that hard about anything.

I've been told I should try puppy pads, but others have said this could just reinforce that it's ok to wee inside.

I think I might have set him up with bad habits because for the first four weeks I he lived in the garage while my boyfriend and I were at work. I set it up with evrything he needed including newspaper for toileting and a big piece of carpet to play on. He would poo on the newspaper but would wee on the carpet.

Do you think this is something he will grow out of?

What can I do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, is it possible to confine him to just one area. Like for example a puppy pen in your loungeroom for when you're there and for your bedroom at night (if that is where he sleeps). Or a very large crate? This will help make it easier on you for a start.

Puppies are like children. They eat - they go to the toilet. They sleep - they go to the toilet. They play - they go to the toilet. Even if you think he doesn't need to go after any of these events...take him out anyway. Don't play with with him whilst you are there, it is business time not play time. And praise him HUGELY when he performs as requested.

You need to be vigilant as well and watch for the body language. Most puppies will tend to wander around sniffing or looking uncomfortable before they squat....when you see this, you need to act quickly and take the puppy outside. Take him to the same spot each time and praise him loudly and effusively when he pees outside.

Don't EVER chastise him for going to the toilet unless you physically catch him in mid-piddle. And even then, only make growly correction noises at him and pick him up (even if he is dripping) and take him out to HIS spot and then praise him when he finishes. Make it obvious from your body language when you are happy with him and conversely, when you aren't.

If you are consistent and the puppy understands this new game, it could only be a matter of weeks before your puppy will be reasonably reliably trained. This is one of the reasons when I place puppies in new homes, that I always suggest that if possible, a family member should be at home for the first couple of weeks with a new puppy....get a headstart on the loo-training and you're off on a good footing from the start.

I had a CKCS that was a nightmare to house train, especially at night and when it was raining.

I would definately invest in a crate and/or pen and follow what ellz has posted.

I've never experienced anything like the problems we had with that little Cav, ironically (or not ??) she died of bladder cancer.

Thanks so much for the reply.

He's sleeps in bathroom at night - usually he sleeps right through - and he's never made a slip up.

It looks like I'll have to get him a playpen for the lounge room.

He knows his toilet spot in the back yard - and I leave the backdoor open usually so he has access to it - but I think half the time he can't be bothered going out there when it's easier to wee inside.

See that could be half the problem. By not physically taking him outside yourself, he isn't completely clear on the ground rules.

You have to virtually hold his paw each and every time until it is as clear as glass to him that outside is where you wee. Leaving the backdoor open when he's older will be fine, but until he completely understands that wees are done outside an open door is just an invitation to go out, or come in. It doesn't TELL him that he needs to wee outside and that weeing outside makes YOU his pack leader very happy.

I thought it was a bit gross but when I had my Cav the lady across the road had a little dog that pee'd inside at night, she put rubber backed bathmats down for him and would wash them in the morning LOL

I don't know if it is a breed thing but I became convinced that my girl was just a little sook, didn't like to get her feet wet, probably nicer to wee on the warm dry carpet than go out in the dark/rain/cold wet morning or evening ground !!

I'm away all day but my partner comes home at lunch to play with/feed the puppy.

He stays in the backyard during the day now, but when he was in the garage my partner would take him outside to his spot.

We wanted him in the garage at first because it seemed a bit more secure and out of the elements, but he's fine in the backyard now with his kennel, dog bed and toys.

He knows were to go to the toilet outside (it's just a dead patch of grass now) and I do take him when he wakes up, after meals, after playing and when he's sniffing around but the cheeky thing still does little wees around the house.

I had one very easy to toilet train dog and one really difficult dog. The difficult dog was not toilet trained till he was 5 months old, and as a large breed dog that was a LOT of piddle I had to always clean up :clap:

He would even pee in the crate where he ate and slept, he was just a dirty puppy.

I found the thing that worked for me was to take him outside on a leash and walk him around and around when I KNEW he had to piddle because he'd just squatted to start.

If I didn't walk him around he'd just sit there and stare at me.

Heaps and heaps of praise when he piddled outside.

He was then toilet trained literally overnight :clap:

I am having similair probs with my 9 week old pup - I thought she was 'toilet trained' after going outside 9 times out of 10!

So I got lazy and stopped taking her outside to toilet - we now are giving her more of an area inside the house and she has started to pee inside again!

We are just going to go back to taking her outside after each feed, sleep and play until she gets it 100% - hopefully this will be before 6 months of age! :clap:

If it is any consolation kazzakanary the weather is starting to get warmer :clap:

That is the worst bit, taking them out in the cold/wet night and walking around the yard in the dark watching intently for the "squat" lol.

I have a almost 12 week old CKCS. (would love to see photos of your little one)

Bailey is an inside dog. This breed do not do well as outside dogs. They become ratty and feral if left outside. I think you need to avoid this at all costs. At 12 weeks old Bailey is house trained. He has had one accident in 4 weeks. This accident was my fault. I used the same method as Ellz has recommended. Every half hour I would take him outside and stay with him. No funny business. Then it was after every event. He sleeps and then out, he eats and then out, he has a drink and then out, and he plays and then out. This has worked fantastically for us. For anytime I am not watching him he is crated. Now I only need to crate at night and when I am leaving the house (and then only for short periods of time). I know its going to be much harder with both of you working. But a puppy pen I think is the best idea, just remember it does take longer to house train using the method of leaving paper down while away but its better than having him shut outside all day. When leaving the house contain pup in the pen with fresh paper all around (as he gets used to using the paper while in the pen you can make the papered area smaller). As soon as you get home or your OH comes home from lunch take him out for a toilet break and change his paper. But while home always take him out. He will get it eventually. And remember anytime you can't watch him 100% you should contain him, either crate or pen.

If you can manage it I would suggest keeping your puppy off the carpet until he is toilet trained.

Dogs would rather wee on carpet so their legs don't get splashed than on hard surfaces. If your are able to restrcit him to tiled or smooth surfaces he should prefer to wee on the grass.

Good luck.

His name's Winky.

Your baby is gorgeous!!! I'm getting a cavvy in January and have been put on a waiting list for a blenheim girl! Now I'm wishing I had asked to be put down for a black and tan girl instead :p but I'll probably change my mind at least twice a month between now and then :D 'cause I think they're all gorgeous :D :D :)

Edited for spelling...'cause I'm stooooopid :)

Edited by **BellaBaby**

solution solved Bella Baby get two cavs for company!!!!

I found my cavvy quite difficult to housetrain but eventually she got the hang of it. I did find though even when she was older that if she had been to the kennels for a few days that she "forgot" when she came home and I had to "retrain" her but it didn't take long.

With my pup now I just took her outside regularly and even though she is now six months old I still take her out if she looks like she is getting a bit restless, although touch wood we haven't had any accidents for a couple of months now excpet when visitors arrived and my attention was diverted. stay with her and lots and lots and lots of praise when she performs, really go over the top and they soon get the hang of it.

solution solved Bella Baby get two cavs for company!!!!

Not quite Onslowsmum, I'd need to get four so that I had one of every colour and that would be just too much puppy to handle I think!!! :) I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with this one and then decide whether I can handle another...then another...then another :)

ETA: Onslowsmum, how's life btw??

Edited by **BellaBaby**