Packing Up Toys...

Teebs

Hey guys, i have no idea how to teach this, or if possible.

Kaos has a toy box, everynight she gets all her toys out and plays with them. Is there any way i can teach her to put them back?

No idea where to start with this one!!

Teach "leave" or "out" or "drop" (whatever).

Then introduce the toy basket (have it empty) - position it under the spot where the toy would land when relinquished.

Then start moving the basket out away from her little bit by little bit and encourage her to step towards it before giving the "leave" command.

Then work towards weaning off the "leave" command.

Naturally, high value rewards should be given for each step accomplished. Lower the value of that reward once your dog knows it and save the high value rewards for the next step of learning.

When she ventures to "offer" the behaviour (ie moving to her basket and relinquishing her toy in it) be sure to party big time!!!! :rolleyes:

It is the same as teaching retrieve with the added extra of the toy box. Needs to learn the word toy and box teach with food and praise.

Instead of give as with the retrieve you the say box and drop or put in box, like all one word, depends if you teach down or drop in basic commands. Also may need another word for box if you are doing obedience trials.

Can learn masses of words and be really useful bringing you the phone or finding your keys.

If you don't already teach retrieve you just need elements anyway.

'bring me the TOY' good boy cuddles kisses best steak

Take to BOX ditto

putinbox ditto ( eventually these commands will merge as he will offer the behavour.

teach in stages make sure he knows the words first. One step at a time.

Hey there is masses at the top on the tricks threads too. Good luck.

Edited by Rusky

Not sure but if you work out a way to teach kids, patent it and sell it on ebay. I will volunteer my 3 as Guinea Pigs!

same as above with praise and reward :rolleyes: :wave::thumbsup:

hey I have 5 kids and the dogs were always easier to teach anything, they don't care if it is a liver treat or a piece of cheese, kids never would perform for liver treats.

Not to try and put a dampener on these suggestions, but isn't the main point to have no toy's on the ground in the morning? The dog won't give itself a command to start the clean up so, like the solution for kids, get rid of the box full of toy's and limit them to just a few of his favorite's. The more they have, the more mess there will be.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood what you were trying to achieve. I take it that you have a Bull Terrier? I have owned 4 of them and I know what sook's they can be to manipulate a situation. They are not the easiest of breeds to train either although I used to trial one some years ago, and had great success until his early death. My current new addition is the first non Bull Terrier I have owned (Staffordshire). You would think they would be very simular but I have found them to be world's appart with the way they learn thing's.

I have one of each (im crazy, i know!)

I have given up with the bully, he only learns what he wants to learn! he is happy so i let him be now :rolleyes: it is the Staffy i am teaching. She is so smart, things just click with her (on our own, she sees other people and gets too excited and wont do a damn thing i tell her!) so i thought this would be a good trick to learn.

It was me who was at a loss on how to teach it :wave:

I tried teaching my GSD to put his toys away. He thought it was a great game.

He would pick up his toy and take it to his toybox and that is were the trouble started. One toy would go in and two would come out.... :rofl:

I tried teaching my GSD to put his toys away. He thought it was a great game.

He would pick up his toy and take it to his toybox and that is were the trouble started. One toy would go in and two would come out.... :rofl:

ARGH!! dont tell me that :D :rolleyes:

hey I have 5 kids and the dogs were always easier to teach anything, they don't care if it is a liver treat or a piece of cheese, kids never would perform for liver treats.

:rolleyes: :swear::swear:

My 18-year old still can't learn "tricks". :eek:

Not too amazing since I still have problems getting the dog to do things. :eek:

Whenever she thinks I'm "up to something" she runs back and jumps on her bed. :rofl:

Good luck TB - but I suspect the results will be a bit too late. The foot will be functional before the dog is, I think. :eek:

:D

Edited by noisymina

Good luck teaching her!

A dog of mine years ago used to do the recycling...he LOVED it, couldn't wait for me to be done with something so he could take it to the bin the loony.

He used to love it so much when I took him for walks he would try to pick the rubbish up on the side of the street...he'd get one thing and carry it all the way home and put it in the bin outside before he went in. Smart boy!

His name was Spaz :rofl: