Everythings Good, Except Toilet Training

p_stampy

Re: 4 month old ridgeback x gsd

I got my puppy from Nicole76 when she was 3 months old. We've now had her a month.

She chews her toys only, she will sit for her food and usually comes when called, she "sleeps" until about 530 (which is fine by me), however the only thing I cant get is toilet training.

I could stand out side with her for half an hour, and nothing, but as soon as we come inside, she's done it before you look away. On monday night, 3 times in a row she did this!!!!

Ive read through everyones posts, take her out every hour, after food , after play, after sleep

When we catch her doing it inside we say "no!" and put her outside. Im guessing this isn't the right thing.

On the occasion she does go outside, she gets a lot of praise.

I dont know what else to do. I don't feel like im making progress.

One thing, I dont have is a crate.

I'm not sure if this would work with her however. Somtimes she's pissed on the carpet, and then lies in it?? (before we've reailsed!). From what Ive read this seems kinda weird.

I'm starting training this sunday, so maybe that'll help with this, but I dont know.

If anyone else has any new idea's let me know.

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree with shoemonster that the crate is the best training tool you will ever own. It will help heaps.

With waiting outside with the pup there are a few things you may not already be doing.

One is to teach a word like "toilet" so when the pup goes out and pees/poos you say "Good Girl, Good toilet". Once she hears that a few times you can use the word toilet when you take her outside.

The other thing is not to let her play or have any fun while she's outside except when you praise her for doing her business. She needs to know toilet stops are business, not play. If she runs off to play I would take her to the toilet on a lead so she can't do this.

Good luck and let us know how you go :)

If I have a pup that is proving difficult to toilet train in the house I keep it on a lead whilst it is inside and the lead is attached to me. I don't allow it inside unless it is on the lead!

That way I don't miss the start of the squatting and I can correct and take the dog outside immediately.

I know it isn't ideal to have the dog on a lead with you at all times when you are inside the house - guess it depends on how keen you are to break the soiling habit. The idea is for the dog to associate outside with the toilet and inside with being clean. The more they are allowed to soil inside, the more OK it appears to them to do so.

With this method I have found it doesn't take very long for the pup to get the idea. ;)

For those pups that are unreliable - I put kiddies training pants on them with a hole cut out for the tail. :laugh:

Don't laugh it works!!!!

This happens to me too... the puddles just magically appear!

I have found the best thing to do with my boy is praise with food as he is food motivated (rediculously so). Before that i was having huge troubles with him going non stop inside (even a couple of minutes after going outside)... one thing i do have though, is a crate, which has helped me a huge amount.

Had an interesting expereince today.

I had to go to my parents to give them somthing, so I took Jadey for a car ride.

Got there , she reluctantly cme inside, btu was ok.

My parents have a cat.

Anyway they were about 20cm away from each other when i realised, but the cat was staring her down.

Once jade saw the cat they touched noses, all good i thought. Jade started makign these weird little barks, but nothing bad. I went to the other end of the table and did some stuff, and they touched noses/ snifed again.

Mu mum was holding Jade on her lead while I filled some stuff out, so when i was about to lelave, 10 mintue later I bought them together again cos I thought it'd be all good.. but no..

SCHMACKKKKKKKKKK! from the cat across Jades nose.

I now realise I should have left them peacefully, but oh well. Jade was happy to be home again after :thumbsup:

Hey Stampy

I introduced Bella, who is now three, to the cat when she was 8 weeks old. The cat swiped her across the eye and she spent the night at the vets!

Bella still doesn't like cats :thumbsup:

There are some good posts on introducing dogs to cats from a few months ago. Have a look at them. :D

Hey Stampy

I introduced Bella, who is now three, to the cat when she was 8 weeks old. The cat swiped her across the eye and she spent the night at the vets!

Bella still doesn't like cats :)

There are some good posts on introducing dogs to cats from a few months ago. Have a look at them. :thumbsup:

nice one.

yeh i dont think Jade will be going there very often to see the cat.

Interesting point is that my sister rescued this cat becuase the owner was goign to have her put down. As far as cats go, shes tops. She used to live with a dog (not sure if its fate.. was a few yrs ago), but I guess its been about 2 or 3 yrs now since the cats realy seen a dog.

my pup is a little over 8 wks and when i take him outside he goes straightaway... i dont know if this is cause he is just really busting or if he just knows when to go... he's yet to go in the house but we'll see... now that ive said that he prob will.. :)

your pup is adorable!!

I have 2 dogs and 3 cats

We introduced Ed as an 8 week old pup to the cats

We clipped the ends of their claws off with human nail clippers, which was easy to do, to save any injuries

Eddie is completely fine with the cats

Molly was introduced at 8 months, on a lead, she still chases them abit but is getting there

The cats always have somewhere to get away, to jump up to, and they have a baby gated room to run away to

Oh and good luck with training, it will be fun!!!

Edited by shoemonster