Trick Of The Week 22/2 - 28/2 Catch!

whatevah

• 1 year later...

I taught my kelpie to catch a tennis ball by bouncing it on the ground so that it lollipopped close to her face. She was already fetching very well by this stage. The bounce gave her time to watch the ball before it hit her face.

It didn't take long for her to start attempting to catch it, and now I lollipop the ball with no bounce and she loves catching it. I have a rubber ball that she fetches, and she will do her best to catch it on a bounce rather than scrap around on the ground for it.

If inside the house, I have a soft toy that I throw for her. She will jump up very high and try to catch it with both her mouth and her paws. She's much better at catching the soft toy, and sometimes amazes me at how she snatches it out of the air when I was actually throwing it past her for a fetch, not a catch!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My aunt taught our kelpie mutt to catch a tennis ball and she just won't stop now... :eek: whenever you walk out the door, she gets her tennis ball...it was good for getting her to help round up sheep in the yards though... :)

However, my smart*** cousin decided that throwing waterbombs at her and trying to get her to catch them was funny :( ...she tricked him though. She now waits for the ball to bounce before catching it :)

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

CTD this trick sounds great. I will be trying it with my pup tomorrow and see if he can do it. At the moment if you toss a treat to him he will let it hit him anywhere on head and wait til it is on the floor to get it so Hopefully this will work. I will let you know hwo he goes.

Wow this technique works wonders. Lear used to let the food hit him in the face but now he is catching everything.

Now on the speaking (hmmmm) not going so well as he is not very vocal.

These trick pages are great as I had taught him all I knew and was wondering where to go from here. Thanks CDT

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I got Troy to help bump up this thread. I have a question...

Does anybody's puppy/dog run away when you try to teach this trick? Initially, Rufus just sat and let the toy (plush toy not some hard balls or heavy stuff) hit his face with the puzzled look. And after a few tries, he actually started running away when I tried asking him to catch it :o

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hey guys,

I got Troy to help bump up this thread. I have a question...

Does anybody's puppy/dog run away when you try to teach this trick? Initially, Rufus just sat and let the toy (plush toy not some hard balls or heavy stuff) hit his face with the puzzled look. And after a few tries, he actually started running away when I tried asking him to catch it :laugh:

Yes yes yes. Teddy did the same thing at first. Actually he didn't run away but he backed away. I think it was because everything he missed, i tried to grab the food that fell on the floor. I think he was a bit nervous i was doing that. But when he got the hang of things, he no longer did it. I started with food rather than toy.... but it was his toy that he learnt how to catch