Mouse In Food!

Koilz

So I gave a little yelp this morning when I opened up my pups bag of dried food and found a mouse in there!

Sure, the mouse was cute, and way more scared of me, but it still scared the bejeesus out of me.

I shooed it out of the bag and it ran away but the problem is, is my pups food ok?

It was only a little mouse, but could it pass on diseases?

My pup's 18 weeks old and has had all his shots.

The bag has about 1kg left of food. It's a bag of Science Diet, with a bit of Eukanuba mixed in. I'm just finishing it off before I get him started on the bag of Nutro I just bought him.

Do I chuck the food out just to be sure, or will it be fine?

Bugger, that's what I thought. What a waste of such expensive food!

I'd just started mixing the Nutro with the Science Diet on Tuesday, so hopefully his little tummy will be ok if I do the full switch now.

Thanks!

I would also be worried about the disease side of things and where the mouse had been prior to getting into the dogs food. Being a puppy I would probably just chuck it out....

We buy the large bags of dog food and store ours in a metal bin - it stops the pesky little mice from getting in.

EEEWW!! Chuck it out!

Mice tend to pee & poo everywhere they go, and you don't want to risk making your baby sick! A few things to watch out for, you never know what the little buggers have been eating!! And yep, they are master climbers, chewers and destroyers!!

BTW, where theres one, theres usually more!

Honestly? I think it would be fine.

Yes its gross, but dogs eat gross things!! how many dogs dig up rotting bones and munch on them?.

My first Cairn terrier Scotty greatest passion in life was catching mice and Rats, he wouldint eat them, but certainly gave them a good munch before spitting them out ;) . Never got any diseases or anything, all terriers were bred for this, great little Ratters, Unless your dog is ill and has a bad immune system then I dont think it would cause any harm :laugh: ,

I agree with Smithy. Do you see absolutely everything that goes in your pup's mouth while they're outside?

My dogs eat cat poop if they can get to it, and goodness knows what kind of stuff they're getting into when they go out to the river.

They're dogs, dogs eat gross stuff and they survive.

Nah - wouldn't worry about it.

Just shake the pack so any odd stuff settles to the bottom and don't feed the last bits.

Put it into a mouse proof container if possible, and certainly do that with any new packs bought.

Our Wei used to eat mice by the dozen at times - never got sick and lived to a ripe old age. ;)

Would you eat something if you knew a mouse had been in it?? ;)

It's a dog.

Would I eat cat poo? F*** no, but both my dogs would jump at the chance.

What is it with dogs and cat poo? My mothers dog loves it fresh from the kitty litter .... crunchy :laugh:

I'd only be concerned if the mouse pee'd or poo'd in the food (seeing as the mouse didn't look sickly as it did a runner) - otherwise...i'd be considering the mouse lucky he wasn't just an added bit of protein in the food ;)

Thanx for the comments guys. I actually think it would probably be alright to feed him - he always seems to be chewing on something gross - but I've thrown the food out anyway.

I had some schmakos next to it that I've thrown out as well, but I don't really feed my pup them much becuase they give him the runs.

Has anyone else had that problem with schmakos?

Would I eat cat poo? F*** no, but both my dogs would jump at the chance.

Mine too...especially annoying when they eat HALF and leave the other half on the floor for me to dispose of

Been caught out thinking "Oh another piece of 'bark/stick brought inside" and picking it up with bare hands to realise.......... :)

We are all still alive and well :)