Feeding Dry Food Only

bini

I have been feeding my dogs Eagle Pack dry food and cans of Natures Gift. I am wondering if it would be more beneficial to only feed one type of food, as I have heard that i might be better to do that!

What do you think, any ideas?

Personally I wouldn't....I wouldn't feed can food at all...

Mine get heaps of fresh stuff....

Fresh chicken and mince meat

fruit and Veggies (pulped)

Sardines (which is canned I guess) in oil

A fish oil tab

Eggs every now and then

Missing link....I stocked up before they went out LOL

yoghurt sometimes

Think thats it

Personally I would be cutting out the tinned food and replacing it with something like chicken necks, chicken frames, brisket bones etc....

IMO tin food is like feeding kids McDonalds - not a lot of nutritional value.

Edited: to add .. like mickatie said [posting at same time :) ]

Edited by Tilly

Our JRT Parker, he's 7months and on Eaglepack Small Breed Puppy dry food, with the occasional meaty bone, and he's happy and healthy, would anyone recommend against this, or have anything that they would do differently?

I would definatly up the occasional to regular.... :) With some minced meat too perhaps... Also some more oils maybe...sardines, fish oil etc

We feed Nutro as the basis of the diet.

Our dogs also get chicken wings twice a week and sardines in oil once a week. We are not beyond giving a little raw meat as well when preparing casseroles in the winter, and they also get raw carrots and dried liver as treats.

When we add food as above we cut back on the amount of dry.

I feed Royal Canin mainly...but the boys generally get a side of either meaty bones, dog roll and occasionally as a treat a bit of Natures Gift. Out of the tinned foods it's the only one i'd recommend - but generally i'd not feed it as a complete diet :cry: But there's nothing wrong with it as a bit extra to add to their dry food :)

We feed Nutro as the basis of the diet.

Our dogs also get chicken wings twice a week and sardines in oil once a week. We are not beyond giving a little raw meat as well when preparing casseroles in the winter, and they also get raw carrots and dried liver as treats.

When we add food as above we cut back on the amount of dry.

We are dong the same but are also adding the occasional raw egg as we having chickens.

Can I ask....

How often is ok for a small egg?

Is it ok to give a frozen chicken wing?

How much dried liver is ok?

how do I prepare a raw carrot for him to eat?

Thanks

Vanessa

OK...with the carrot...my dogs prefer me to peel them...lol

Not too much dried liver...just treat amounts as it is very rich and can give them the poops.

Frozen wings are fine...just keep an eye on the pooch while they are eating it.

A small egg for a small dog...usually once a week is fine but my dogs will often get them twice a week or so depending on how many eggs i have around :cry: You can even give them the egg shell :)

The BETTER dry foods are promoted as

COMPLETE

and

BALANCED

and they are. I am not talking supermarket food, I am talking the premium dry foods.

Feeding a dog a complete and balanced diet when you have to figure out how much of this and how much of that can be difficult. It is too tedious, or too hard. Some people don't have the time or the lifestyle to do it.

However, if you buy a good dry food, it comes already complete and balanced, and really, the dog doesn't need anything else. Indeed, if you begin adding a bit of this, and some of that, you run the risk of unbalancing his diet.

If you want to, you can give him a bone sometimes, for his teeth and enjoyment.

I don't personally feed dry food, I feed raw, and my dogs do very well on it.

However, there are tens of thousands of dogs who eat only dry food, and seem to do well. Pet food companies have put a lot of $$ into research, and if it says "complete and balanced" it is.

Eagle Pack, Nutro, Nutrience, Innova, Eukanuba, Hills - they, and their competition at the higher end of the market are the ones I mean, not Pedigree or Chum!!

Cans are about 78% water, and he doesn't really need it. If he likes it, and you want to give him one now and again, that's ok.

Incidentally, if I was feeding just dry food, I would be inclined to change brands occasionally - to give him a different taste for one thing.

When you choose, expect to pay premium price - this is one product where you get what you pay for. Check the ingredient list - the first two or three ingredients ought to be a protein source - ie, meat, or chicken or pork - and there should not be a lot of grain in it, or tallow. Make sure the pack says "Complete and Balanced" too.

And before some ninny flames me for not recommending BARF - the poster didn't ask about changing the food, she (he?) asked about adding to the food. So I am answering the question.

Mickatie

As in kibble is the majority of what they are eating?

Mine have a raw diet - as in chicken/beef/veges/fruit/eggs/fish/offal/bones, etc. They occasionally have milk - particularly in whelp bitches, and lactating bitches.

However, if I am home late, which does happen occasionally, they have dry food, but that would be less than once a week.