Trick Of The Week 29/02-6/03 - Spin

whatevah

Spin

Uses - To show off, A doggy Dancing movement

Equipment - food treats and or/clicker

Method

Have your dog in a stand position, off lead.

Have a piece of food in your hand, show the dog that you have it there.

Put your hand near the dogs nose, so that it follows the treat (this is known as luring), start to move your hand slowly in a semi circle position so that his head follows your hand (his body should then also follow).

You move the food slowly towards the dogs hips. As soon as he starts to move give him his reward or click and treat if you are using a clicker.

Try this again several times. Start off rewarding small movements, then hold off the reward and try to get bigger movements. This can take a few sessions for big dogs. I have found it easier for little dogs and young dogs to learn. Lot of praise and rewards when he gets it right.

Once he has it, you can phase out the food by only rewarding once he has done the full circle, then every second circle or randomly.

Some dogs will turn one way better than the other way, for reasons only known to them.

Once you having been getting the full circle for a while, give the movement a name, I use SPIN, or you could use TURN or CIRCLE.

Problems

I found that I had trouble getting my dog to turn and it helped if I had him standing near a corner, and used the corner to help lure him around.

ADVANCED

You can then try to get him to do circles at your side and behind you. Circles while you heel.

I have found that I use my left hand to do an anticlockwise circle (left circle) and my right hand to do a clockwise circle (right circle). With the dog at my side. Some people give the left circle and right circle different names.

If you have success with this, please let us know, I like successes. If you are having problems for have found a better way that works for your dog, also let us know. Good Luck! I have taught both my dogs this trick.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It might take a little longer on your shepherds as they are big dogs. It took my flatcoat retreiver (breed similar to golden retreiver) a lot longer than teaching a smaller dog. Just do a few small sessions. I will keep the tricks coming, but am only teaching what I have taught my own dogs. Easier to trouble shoot that way.

:kissbetter: Hi Bigbum and all!

Has anybody found out that their dogs are "left" handed and "right" handed like mine?

I taught them both to spin using the same method. I sit them together and say "round" and they both go in different directions.

It looks really cute - they knock heads if they sit close enough :kissbetter:

To find out which side your dog likes to turn. If he likes to retrieve then roll a ball a short distance. Do it about 3 to five times and you will then find out which way they turn.

We do this in flyball. Some dog also prefer some paws to others.

I have no idea how I taught my dogs to do this but it is a standard pre-meal trick.

I use the word "piroutte".

I will try the advance moves, though. I haven't even thought of getting them to do it by my side/s or anywhere but when they are directly in front of me.

Sam.

My shy dog had trouble with the food in hand luring, because she can be wary of moving hands in general. So I taught her to touch and follow a target stick first, and then used that to get her to spin - worked really well. I've got one I made from a portable phone antenna which extends - I just shortened it gradually until she would spin with just a little finger twirl as a cue.

Turtle, I love that mental image of the two dogs spinning together!

Tried the "piroutte" by my side and behind me at the park today. Did it no problems with Texas, I got distracted by a little kid with my other two.

Also I gave my mum my old clicker to try some stuff. She's getting her dog to follow a target (ruler) and she was also trying the "piroutte" using her finger to get her around, only got her half way. I suggested she use the target... we'll see how she goes.

Sam.

:laugh: This is a funny trick...

I too can't remember when or how I trained Kaiser to do this... but you say *chase your tail* and he spins around...

Then *other side* and he spins in the other direction... :rofl:

Then *stop* and then he stops mid-spin, and waits to spin again.... It's highly amusing...

He can spin so fast that he has fallen over from dizziness.... :rofl:

My best friend is evil, and everytime she comes to visit, she makes Kaiser spin til he gets dizzy... :rofl:

I've taught this trick to my dog in the past and found it 'WAY' easy with a check chain or collar on and directed my dog to turn around by tugging the collar in the way which I wanted her to go after give her the verbal command 'Turn Around' and hand signal (finger in anti clockwise motion), and then food reward and HEAPS of praise on successful completion of trick...

The check chain/collar gave a little more direction to my dog for what I required her to go - thus she learnt this trick within 2 minutes.

Please note that I did not use forceful pulling of the check chain/collar, just a gentle tug in the direction I wanted her to turn was all that was needed!!!

Edited by fiery_di

Yep it's also easy to use hand signals... Im currently teaching my Mally girl a *finish* even though she is only starting basic obedience...

I use my own methods, I have no idea what the *usual* way is, but I simply do a hand signal, followed by luring with a reward, (praise or treat).

That's most likely how I shaped the spin with my dog... I do not recall exactly, but I think that's how. :laugh:

I guess however you do it, so long as it works. :rofl:

Guest LittlePixie

Tilly learned this trick in a good two seconds a few months ago.

LOVES it.

Today while impressing visitors she spun around 25 times in a row.

"Spin" is anticlockwise, "Twirl" is clockwise.

What is great fun is.... "Spin! Twirl! Spin! Twirl!" one in each direction. Hahahaha. Keeps her on her toes and sharpens the time it takes her to respond to the cue.

Stella does this one too: Spinspinspin!!!

But she does them airborne - just lands to push off for the next circuit :rolleyes:

I do worry about her dodgy knees though, so I don't usually ask - she just does it anyway.. loony dog :cheers::confused:

Update:

I got Texas going the other way (clockwise) with no problem, I'm calling it "spin", and leaving "pirouette" for the anticlockwise direction. Tex does a couple now before rewarding, he used to only do one, and if I asked for it again he'd look at me like: "What? I already did that?" He also does the pirouette by my side and behind me. Not from a very big distance though.

Jamie does a couple too now, same story as Texas, never asked for two in a row before.

Chester loves doing it and the multiple pirouettes haven't caused any confusion for him. He also does it by my side which looks almost like a doggy dancing move, choreographed???

Still working at all this tricks and clicking Sam.

BTW: Again, I love these trick training posts. Thanks all for your contributions and inspirations. Gives me something to aim for, as I'm obviously not as clever with these tricks as I used to think I was. :)