Puppies: Ice And Rawhide

samoyedman

With a long hot summer ahead of us I think it would be good for my samoyed puppy to cool down by munching on ice. My plan is to freeze margarine containers full of water with treats spread through it. Not only does this cool the pup down, it keeps him busy and gives him nourishment when he munches his way to the treat.

My concern is I have heard puppies have a tendency to swallow before chewing objects properly. Ice shards can be sharp and I'm wondering if I'm being paranoid about this or is ice fine for puppies?

Same goes for rawhide bones...good for pups or can they splinter and choke a pup?

Thanks for any tips.

Edited by samoyedman

I'd say ice is perfectly fine, but rawhide isn't always great for young puppies as they haven't the what they need to digest them properly. I gave my dogs pig ears fairly early but waited till they were about 6 months before giving them actual rawhide.

Ice treats are great for puppies, I agree with KitKat about the rawhide and certainly wouldn't give to young puppies. Another great cool treat is a kong with either yoghurt or vegemite in the freezer. To be honest I am not overly keen on rawhide but that's only my opionion.

Ice is ok. Most puppies quickly work out whether it hurts their teeth or not and many will lick it instead.

Rawhide chews are an absolute NO NO!!! They quickly get chewed down to a dangerous size and many a dog has required surgery to remove large chunks of rawhide from blocked stomachs.

We do the same, freeze icecream containers with treats in it. Funny to watch them scoot along the decking. :rofl: Not so funny when OH puts it in the freezer and it spills because he didn't balance it. :laugh:

Also put frozen blocks in their water and watch them bob for treats.........keeps them cool.

• 2 weeks later...

TD i dont allow them to have the container. Sometimes the ice falls out when tipped upside down, other times i just soak the container in the dogs water dish, it melts enough to come out - I would have no containers left if i let the dogs have them!!

Guest Stevie'sGreat

Thanks for the ideas, I hadn't thought of iceblocks for Stevie before but we tried out a sausage iceblock yesterday in a 2 litre container - huge success! Lots of fun pushing it around on pavers. Even the cat joined in trying to pull a piece of sausage out of the ice.

Took ages to freeze though, will have to make some in advance but they take up a fair bit of room in the freezer.