Frozen Chicken Necks & Bones

EmmyLou

I remember someone saying last summer that they use to make an "iceblock" for their dogs which pretty much was an ice cream bucket fileld chicken or beef stock and some chicken necks in it.

I'm thinking of making one for my two (staffy and cocker spaniel) as the days are getting hotter and was wondering if the frozen or half thawed chicken necks in something like this could cause harm to the dogs throats when they chew them?

Also, is it okay to give them frozen necks and meat bones in this warmer weather?

I do and I've never had any problems, but I watch them like a hawk at all times just in case. I also fill ice cream containers with stock cubes mixed with water to freeze. Someone provided a link in the general forum (I think in the Rotty owners thread) to a site (vetshed??) that has a special dog toy that you can refridgerate or freeze repeatedly for them to chew on, apparently filled with non toxic stuff. Don't know just how chewable it would be before it was destroyed, but it sounds like a great idea.

Chicken stock can be a little salty - I usually just freeze water with chicken necks or other treats inside...

during summer my guys get most of their food still frozen. Chicken frames last an extra 1/2 second when frozen...

Thanks guys. I have a small bar sized freezer half filled with dog meat and of course I can't use it all before it starts to smell, so frozen treats etc are a better idea for me (plus I have that dreaded problem called 'ants')

I'll try them with some frozen necks tomorrow morning and see how they go. I need to make room for the 'doggy block'

for ice blocks, i take an ice cube maker and put a piece of small treat in every one of the little cubes, and then add water which has a bit of stock in it

after it's frozen, you"ve got little ice cubes with little bits of treat in them. very cute!! :rofl:

they remind me of those asian jellies with have bits of fruit in them.

oh, and how about frozen yoghurt?

i do get carried away sometimes.. :rofl:

Edited by PARiS_love

I do chicken necks/wings in ice cream containers

But I use the vegie water off our veggies when I cook dinner at night

I also feed large chunks of frozen roo meat for them to chew on

and also frozen rabbits

• 1 year later...
Thanks guys. I have a small bar sized freezer half filled with dog meat and of course I can't use it all before it starts to smell, so frozen treats etc are a better idea for me (plus I have that dreaded problem called 'ants')

I'll try them with some frozen necks tomorrow morning and see how they go. I need to make room for the 'doggy block'

Feels like the right time to revisit feeding frozen bones.

Any news on your experiments?

And how about feeding bigger bones frozen, like say lamb or beef necks?

I always feed my dogs their dinner frozen, it gives the body a chance to prepare for the intake of meat (my supplier minces the meat) as they have to chew and gnaw at it. Plus it means they have to chew their bones properly as it is too cold to gulp them down.

In summer I also fill a chinese takeaway container with water then throw a few chicken necks in and sprinkle some treats over the top. I freeze it and give it to them the next day. My dogs love them.