Lure Coursing In Victoria.

BARTESS

:rofl:

The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of Victoria is pleased to announce the following lure coursing dates:

29th October 2006: To be held in conjunction with the Nillumbik Shire at their annual Pet Expo. This event is held at Marngrook Oval, Main Hurstbridge Road, Diamond Creek from 10.00am to 4.00pm.

Running of dogs is free. The number of laps will depend on demand.

For further info on this event please contact the Senior Municipal Laws Officer; Michael Keetch on 9433 3352.

26th November 2006: To be held at KCC Park, Western Port Hwy, Skye from 10.00am to 3.00pm. This will be held under the RRCV guidelines which can be found on the club website at http://www.rrcv.org.au

Please ensure you have read the guidelines prior to attending.

PLEASE NOTE - 26-11-06 is the same day as Peninsula Pet & Pony Expo. Due to the Shire being unable to accomodate our requirements to conduct lure coursing at their chosen venue we are forced to decline their offer to participate.

However we will conduct our business as usual at KCC Park on that day with bbq sausages and cold drinks available.

BOTH THESE DATES ARE FOR ALL BREEDS AND CROSS BRED DOGS.

Hope to see you there.

Darren Stebbings

President RRCV.

Nekhbet, last time at Diamond Creek, Nillumbik Pet Expo, there was fixed fencing on one side (I think, if I remember correctly), and they had that orange temporary fencing around the rest of the area.

Edit to add picture. This picture was taken at the event last year. Jyra watching the lure coursing from behind the orange fencing, just to show you what the fencing is like. You just queue up and all the dogs are together, so it can help to have someone else with you if you have a nutcase like mine (and yours?), then you can queue up and have someone keep the dog away until you get to the front of the queue.

Rimg1468.jpg

Edited by Purple Julie

Chai - from their guidelines

Puppies under 6 months are not recommended to run but will be giving a 'starters taste' free of charge. Please speak to a RRCV committee person on the day.

· Puppies between 6 - 12 months can run for 1 lap at a cost of $1-00.

I would advise against it. This is my personal opinion so take it however you want. Lure coursing is one of the most strenuous sports that a dog can participate in. At 6 months old the pup is in a very precious state and you have to be very careful about development and exercise.

My whippet had a puppy run at 9 months and didn't start running as an adult until 12 months. The only reason I let her have puppy runs (1 go around, 1 time and thats it) is because she matured and developed quickly, was extremely fit at that age and was a very good runner (in terms of coordination, strength, speed, movement etc). My greyhound Ziggy will probably not even have a puppy run until he is at least 12 months old. He is uncoordinated and sloppy, has trouble turning and is still growing, and you have to be very careful with large breeds and exercise.

Just to illustrate- at the last meet a 3yr old greyhound had a go- she is an ex racer and an old hand at lure coursing. She slipped, took a tumble and got a few cuts and lost half a tooth. At the same meet my whippet (who has had dozens of runs) slipped at the end of the day and cut her shoulder and belly. If something like that can happen to an older, more experienced dog, its not worth the risk imo to run a puppy.

Lozzie's advice is good. It does depend on the individual dog and breed. Given the nature of the activity injuries can occur but they are very rare. The reason the RRCV advise against running young puppies is due to the fragile nature of their structural development.

As for the fencing at Nillumbik the photo from Purple Julie depicts the fencing used. One side of the area is secured by a large stone wall. I do not recall any escapees from last year.

Nillumbik is a great day.

Regards,

Darren

RRCV.