Nutro Dog Food

Levi

Hi everyone,

I have been considering feeding nutro dog food for a while as it gets a lot of support on this forum. I bought a small bag a while ago and the dogs loved it. My dillema is the large amount of rice and rice products in the food. I am looking at the Adult Large Breed and the first ingredient is dried lamb meat which is great, however the next four ingredients are ground rice, rice flour, rice bran and rice gluten. This does not sound like a great diet for a dog. I am hesitant to pay fairly big $$$ for so much rice.

I know many of you have dogs that do very well on this product and mine may do too, but is it ok to feed something with such a large amount of rice and rice products in it? Some dogs do well on supermarket canned and dry diets, but I do believe there is a price to pay in the long run. Therefore I don't believe that the adage "if your dogs do well on it, stick to it" is always reliable for their long term health.

I feed vegies, pet mince, a small amount of coprice working dog (also rice based but far inferior to and of course cheaper than nutro), yoghurt, vitamin C & E, fish oil. Twice a week they get sardines, two other nights they get an egg and once a week they get liver. They also eat mostly chicken bones daily and a soup bone twice a week.

I would like to cut out the pet mince due to the fattiness and poor quality (I often find minced up plastic bags in it and have to throw it out), and replace it with a better dry. I would still continue to feed the other ingredients. Nutro is readily available locally and I would like to feed it but would like your thoughts on the high rice content.

Cheers.

I wouldn't feed my dogs any other dry apart from Nutro.

I have tried my dogs on Eukanuba, Iams, Royal Canin, Science Diet, Advance, Coprice, ProPlan, Optimum, Nutrience, Bonny, Pedigree, Eagle Pack and Supercoat and Nutro is the only food they all like. Their condition has improved since they started on Nutro. I have even had comments on how good they look. I had one very finicky girl and Nutro is the only dry she will eat and she actually gutses it down.

The initial outlay may be expensive but as it is a super premium food you do not need to feed as much as other foods so it actually works out cheaper than some foods.

ETA - My dogs don't seem to drop as much coat either when they are being fed Nutro.

Edited by Norskgra

I feed Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice

It's great, i was looking after a dog with horrible skin, was red and itchy. After being on Nutro for a couple of weeks he had healthy skin, and a nice shiny coat :D

(nutro NC Lamb and rice doesn't have Rice Gluten though...)

Oh yeah, as Norskgra said, you don't need to feed as much either

Edited by Thunder

Ground Rice, Rice Flour and Rice Bran are listed as 2.3.4. ingredients whilst Rice Gluten is No.9 :D

I would be a lot more concerned if a product was using Corn Meal, Corn Gluten, Maize and Wheat as their ingredients.

The initial outlay is expensive as it is a super premium food, howver you are feeding less as you are feeding quality.

Out of interest a 23kg dog takes about 4 months to go through a 15kg bag.

We have been feeding Nutro for 6 years now and have also weaned our litters on to it.

Sorry Thunder, it does have Rice Gluten.

If you want an analysis of how much Rice is in the product I can try and get it for you.

LOL am not a Sales Rep but have direct contact with the General Manager in NZ from when I used to live there

Ground Rice, Rice Flour and Rice Bran are listed as 2.3.4. ingredients whilst Rice Gluten is No.9 :)

I would be a lot more concerned if a product was using Corn Meal, Corn Gluten, Maize and Wheat as their ingredients.

The initial outlay is expensive as it is a super premium food, howver you are feeding less as you are feeding quality.

Out of interest a 23kg dog takes about 4 months to go through a 15kg bag.

We have been feeding Nutro for 6 years now and have also weaned our litters on to it.

Sorry Thunder, it does have Rice Gluten.

If you want an analysis of how much Rice is in the product I can try and get it for you.

LOL am not a Sales Rep but have direct contact with the General Manager in NZ from when I used to live there

:D Note to self, read ALL ingredients thouroughly. Oh well

Bailey has been the fussiest dog to feed. Being a small dog I have been very concerned that he wasn't getting what the nutrience he needed. We started him out on Eukanuba. But it was a real fight to get him to eat it. He would only one meal out of the 3 a day he was offered and then he would only pic at it.

I just changed him over to Nutro about a week or so ago. The first few days it was the same as the Eukanuba but I just kept putting it down for him. Now he eats 2 meals out of the 3 offered. I have stopped offering his lunchtime feed. He has really shown lots of improvments. His coat is beautiful and there are less stools to clean up. I couldn't be happer, I was worried to start with but its a great investment.

Hesapandabear - I still have your PM with their contacts, i am about a week off running out of Darcys food so am starting at looking at a different brand. I dont mind driving that far if he really likes it.

Sagittarian - Thanks! Hope he likes it.

Hesapandabear - I still have your PM with their contacts, i am about a week off running out of Darcys food so am starting at looking at a different brand. I dont mind driving that far if he really likes it.

Tollersowned... have posted several samples today so here's hoping!

Nutro does not have prebiotics / probiotics right? And also no Yucca extract? Those are the main reasons I'm sticking with Eagle Pack.

ETA: I do feed additional stuff like yoghurt and flaxoil though.

Edited by flycow

Hi flycow and others out there that may know,

I do not know how the probiotics can be effective in a dry dog food. I was under the impression thatfor probiotics to be effective they needed to be a live bacterial cultures. How can this be so in a dried food with limited available water and also exactly what bacterial species are we talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this up....

Tollersowned... have posted several samples today so here's hoping!

Just wanted to say thanks for sending out samples, i went and bought Nutro last week and i am so excited usually he stops liking the food after a few days but he is still eating it with gusto and now has more fat on his body and a gorgeous coat!!

It made my two hours of aimless driving there to get it very very worthwhile!! (i got lost a bit lol only took an hour to get home!)

:rofl: tollersowned's dog, perhaps another Nutro convert?.

Definately!! He eats it and looks great, its all i was after now i have all three dogs here on it and they are all looking spiffy!! :cry: