Why Do Dogs Escape?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, cant keep quiet anymore on this one! :) Any dog that absolutely, no way would leave its home or property without its owner isnt neccessarily a well trained superstar, it may well have some worrysome behaviour issues (similar to a human whos too scared to leave their home).

Ive got dingoes and theyd head for the hills if the gate was left open - one of them is a fully trained cane toad detection dog - so shes hardly untrained or a bad dog. I think the person who started this needs to get their facts straight before labelling 90% of the dog owning population irresposible, incompetant or a being bad owners.

Ok, had my vent now!

I believe they are after adventure, I have 2 staffies, the female is a very curious little thing, I cannot walk past one person in the street with out her having to look at them and wag her tail at them. She jumps on fences to look into yards, sticks her head into driveways to see if theres anything exciting there, and you may say that this is bad, she is not well trained, she is not focused on me BUT...................... I would not change her for the WORLD!!! I love her dogonality!!

She does agility and yeah sometimes she gets sidetracked by the judge who she wants to play with or the person on the side line eating hot chips but I wouldnt change any of that either!!! I love her just the way she is.

Guest Pandii

To the OP please come and train my dog I am sick of him getting out and taking off.

It cost me $250 everytime he is out

Why do dogs escape?

Because they can :)

Some like to see the world more than others. My old dog Belle was an escape artist, I often used to come home from school to see her on the front lawn. She jumped the fence until it was raised above 6 ft and she is only a little thing, maybe 17 inches! It didn't help that there were 9 people in the house, including several young children, and cleaners once a week who left the door open. On the other hand, Zoe rarely wandered, even when Belle would get out. I would see Zoe in the yard, and later find the garage door open and Belle gone.

I've been following the Beau stuff for a while but I'm not exactly sure what it has to do with this topic, which having had terriers all my life, I'm rather interested in.

Here here Sheridan. I'm not going to mention breeds at all anymore, due to BSL, so I am going to try something else. I have now found 3 special someones this week, so I am going to try and look for some patterns (excuse me if this sounds foggy, howling since 6am, OH swearing, scool hols).

All 3 little dogs had collars.

The 2 old dogs did not have tags, making it a longer process to return them.

The young dog had tags.

Perhaps a crackdown on dogs having tags will at least save taxpayers money by rescuers being able to return them using the phone, saving Rangers time to get on with their job.

I didn't take it like that at all. From the VERY little I know, only what I've read here, it came across to me like Miranda was saying that you had a very bad reputation, not that SHE necessarily thought that you were deserving of that.

I have to pursue this topic because Shekhina, you are correct in one sense. I do have a very bad reputation with SOME registered Gundog breeders. You are incorrect in thinking that this is not what Miranda meant..

Geez, if you have a problem with Miranda then keep it to PMs or email or msn.

I've been following the Beau stuff for a while but I'm not exactly sure what it has to do with this topic, which having had terriers all my life, I'm rather interested in.

Here here Sheridan. I'm not going to mention breeds at all anymore, due to BSL, so I am going to try something else. I have now found 3 special someones this week, so I am going to try and look for some patterns (excuse me if this sounds foggy, howling since 6am, OH swearing, scool hols).

All 3 little dogs had collars.

The 2 old dogs did not have tags, making it a longer process to return them.

The young dog had tags.

Perhaps a crackdown on dogs having tags will at least save taxpayers money by rescuers being able to return them using the phone, saving Rangers time to get on with their job.

BM - First of all, are you not Id in the dogs anymore because of BSL - of because you dont know one breed from another?

Second - most dog owners will NOT have collars on their dogs, they are dangerous and dogs get killed wearing them.

You also said that you will not call the persons number, you call the ranger and pass the number on to them to call - that is NOT saving Rangers time at all.

How many dogs have you found in the past month Benji's Mum ?

You seem to have a real problem in your area, is the Ranger fining all these people ?

Are they all different dogs or a few regular offenders ?

It would be interesting to know how many dogs die because they were wearing a collar.

A few. I have heard of dogs hanging themselves, 2 dogs playing and getting jaws stuck in them. A few months ago a DOLer was on here, she nearly lost 2 of her dogs due to them getting stuck in the collar - i rather my dog be picked upby the ranger and fined, then have a dead dog

'You also said that you will not call the persons number, you call the ranger and pass the number on to them to call - that is NOT saving Rangers time at all.'

So what's your suggestion - take them all to the vet, send them home without telling the Rangers, no-one gets fined anymore.

Is that what you would prefer?

Edited to remove a swear word.

Edited by Benji's Mum

'You also said that you will not call the persons number, you call the ranger and pass the number on to them to call - that is NOT saving Rangers time at all.'

So what's your bloody suggestion - take them all to the vet, send them home without telling the Rangers, no-one gets fined anymore.

Is that what you would prefer?

isnt that what you said above?? : Perhaps a crackdown on dogs having tags will at least save taxpayers money by rescuers being able to return them using the phone, saving Rangers time to get on with their job

Exactly. But how is returning dogs without telling the Rangers helping the dogs if there is no audit trail of the escapes?

How will the Ranger know that a certain dog has escaped many times if you don't notify them? The fines are supposed to increase with each escape.

How will the Rangers catch the morons who let their dogs escape ad nauseam if you keep returning them?

ARGH

IF the dog has a tag who ever finds it will ring that number and return the dog. You said that is what needs to be done "crack down on dogs wearing tags" by doing that it will save rangers time to do other things.

YET - when you find a dog, EVEN with a tag, you ring the rangers - meaning that you are taking them AWAY from whatever it is that they should be doing

ETA:

I give up.

Edited by Terrorbull

Thing is this Benji's Mum.

If I found a dog ONCE and it had tags I would return it directly to the owner.

Depending on their attitude if I found the same dog again I may decide to pop him/her in the garage and call the ranger.

However I don't find as many dogs as you do, I don't know if it is your area or if it is a hobby of yours to go out looking for dogs ? I'm sure if I went looking I could find plenty.

However I don't find as many dogs as you do, I don't know if it is your area or if it is a hobby of yours to go out looking for dogs ? I'm sure if I went looking I could find plenty.

Fair question, I think you've asked me twice now.

I suspect my 20 chooks have something to do with it - the front garden is fertilised with chook poo and that is where I have found most.

Umm, the kickboxer brings them to me too, he walks his dog miles every night and drops them off here. A couple at the school and there was one in Woolies in the dog food aisle!