Why Do Dogs Escape?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here here Sheridan. I'm not going to mention breeds at all anymore, due to BSL, so I am going to try something else. I have now found 3 special someones this week, so I am going to try and look for some patterns (excuse me if this sounds foggy, howling since 6am, OH swearing, scool hols).

There is no BSL in the ACT. All dogs can be purchased, sold and rehomed without any restrictions.

What this has to do with dogs escaping, I'll never know.

Dogs escape because, we don;t build fences high enough or strong enough, we don't lock the houdini's up in a pen when we should. Dogs get bored, when we are away from home and some get bored when we are home, due to lack of attention.

The grass is always greener and smells better on the other side of the fence, wandering down the street is far more interesting than looking around the smae 1/4 acre block, day in day out.

Some dogs need more exercise and stimulation than they get at home and get it by jumping the fence or digging and getting out.

Some get out by accident, they start digging a hole or banging at the fence palings and next thing they know, they have a new world to explore, they are smart critters and having done it once, try and do it again.

Some suffer from seperation anxiety and loneliness and go looking for their master or anyone willing to give them a pat.

Then you get the ar$eholes who open gates and let dogs out, or people that can't close gates properly and the dog gets out.

And to top it all off, you have those idiot owners, who don;t feel the need to close their own gate and are happy for little doggie to run the streets.

:)

I'm sure dogs don't think of it as escaping. They don't see a fence is something that must be breached - if they have the opportunity, desire and means to get out then they may well do so, it's certainly not because they're thinking of ways to get away from their owner.

It's definitely not a result of not enough training, or a lack of care on the behalf of the owner. Ask any hound owner, and a damn sight more breeds too no doubt. :)

Kaos has a beautiful half sister, who would scale over a 6 foot fence, topped with another few feet of wire. She could also climb cyclone wire as well.

She would get over the fence, into the neighbours at the back , jump his front fence and sit at the front of his house and wait for me to drive around the bloody block and collect her.

Why she would do this is beyond me, she was well fed, exercised every day, shown most weekends, even had litters at home and would do it, she got attention and had the company of other dogs. Maybe she just liked the morning ride in the car. :)

Kaos has a beautiful half sister, who would scale over a 6 foot fence, topped with another few feet of wire. She could also climb cyclone wire as well.

She would get over the fence, into the neighbours at the back , jump his front fence and sit at the front of his house and wait for me to drive around the bloody block and collect her.

Why she would do this is beyond me, she was well fed, exercised every day, shown most weekends, even had litters at home and would do it, she got attention and had the company of other dogs. Maybe she just liked the morning ride in the car. :)

Kaos is not far off that either ;) as i think you saw when you were over!! She can nearly clear the fence!

Kaos is not far off that either ;) as i think you saw when you were over!! She can nearly clear the fence!

terrorbull! you are a bad owner. she must be untrained and hungry and thirsty. you are a naughty naughty owner.

Hooley dooley, that's some serious fencing there. How do they keep her safe now?

It's a tough question, why do dogs escape...

BM - First of all, are you not Id in the dogs anymore because of BSL - of because you dont know one breed from another?

Second - most dog owners will NOT have collars on their dogs, they are dangerous and dogs get killed wearing them.

You also said that you will not call the persons number, you call the ranger and pass the number on to them to call - that is NOT saving Rangers time at all.

Firstly, I suppose they were all mongrels...secondly, what do you attach your DOL tag to, his pierced ear?

Lastly, it is helping the Ranger catch repeat offenders.

Anyone else find their dog's actions depend on if their dog has company?

This weekend Coda has learnt to pick both the baby gate restricting the dogs to the kitchen, and the sliding door into the garage so we've had a couple of escape attempts.

If one was out on his own then he would come back when called.

But when both of them got out they were off to see the world.

BM - First of all, are you not Id in the dogs anymore because of BSL - of because you dont know one breed from another?

Second - most dog owners will NOT have collars on their dogs, they are dangerous and dogs get killed wearing them.

You also said that you will not call the persons number, you call the ranger and pass the number on to them to call - that is NOT saving Rangers time at all.

Firstly, I suppose they were all mongrels...secondly, what do you attach your DOL tag to, his pierced ear?

Lastly, it is helping the Ranger catch repeat offenders.

yes

Guest Pandii

Crap here I was thinking I could get some fantastic info on why my dogs escape and how I stop them

Oh well back to the drawing board

THEY BLOODY ESCAPE COS THEY CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think my dogs would want to escape. Maybe if I was driving away to follow me, other than that they are happy at home.

When Rex way a youngster he jumped the fence to the neighbours few times, not to go anywhere other than their yard. The older neighbour is always at home/in the backyard so Rex went there for some company.

I live next to a golf course and walk there each night. They love it, Rex thinks its ours.

Once I came back home from work and the gate to go out there was wide open. I think someone jumped the fence in order to retrieve their golf ball than walked out through the gate without closing it.

(Suicidal person obviously entering a yard with a dobe and a xxx insert rude word here xxx person for leaving the gate open)

I bet Rex was out for a run and when he had enough he just went back home.

You might also remember he was missing for 2 days about 2 years ago, where I believe someone opened the front gate and let himout, during the storm. He was hit by a bus and in panic running away got lost. I dont think he just escaped.

It must be very distressing to own a dog that escapes, you arrive home each time thinking are they there or not....

When I went to collect my 10 week old first siberian husky her breeder warned me she was an escape artist. She lived to almost 15 and could get out the tiniest hole, jump fences, take advantage of any idiot who wandered in (actually I think she had some form of mind control happening where she could get unsuspecting people to hold the door open while she ambled out and then shot off down the street :rofl: ). She was very obedient inside our house but was excited by the big wide world and had an incredible hunting instinct. Our second Sibe has escaped (mostly following the first one) but does not actively seek to escape. He doesn't jump fences as a general rule and is no better trained than our first sibe but has a lesser hunting instinct. I really think that the big wide world is just in some dogs blood stream like a hunger. I guess it may be unnatural for dogs to be so confined to a small area like a suburban backyard from an instinctual perspective.