Skinny Aussi Bulldog

princessbella you can buy Royal Canin, Advance, Pro Plan and Eukanuba at Mega Pet Warehouse on Mt. Dandenong Road. Alternatively K9 & Katz Kitchen will deliver free anywhere in the Melbourne Metro area, they also have Eagle Pack and Nutrience, check out their website. Scrubadub Dog in Ferntree Gully also have Eagle Pack.

I would suggest that you stop using canned food and feed the dog some human grade mince with the dry. Terry's Meats in Bryce Avenue, Mooroolbark sell mince for $4.00 a kg and they also have chicken wings at $2.00 a kilo or $27.00 for a 15 kg box. You can also get a whole lambs fry for $1.25 (feed a little, cooked, twice weekly). A can of mackerel, salmon or sardines twice a week will also help.

BTW I also live in Croydon :laugh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heyya Miranda :rofl:

what a small world!

I know Terry's meats, I see it when I go to the bakery opposite with the best donuts ever :o

I wonder if I can return the 15 cans of dog food I bought the other night from Coles.

I think I've seen Mega pet warehouse too, so will go in there today and get some Eukanuba, I'm sure it'll be cheaper there than at the vet.

Catch you round :laugh:

Aussie Bulldogs come from Registered Breeders now? Really since when

Your girl is lovely and you have got some great advise on here, but I would say her being a English Bulldog x Boxer means she follows the Boxer genes more than the EB

They arent a Reg breed, but there is an Aussie bulldog club in Aust. When you get a pup you get 'papers' from them. I had a look and it seems they are trying to do the right thing by the breed. But a lot of work still needs to be done on them

My brothers girl is (bull?) Mastiff X Bulldog. There is a % of what is in her as well as what %s are needed in a male so if he breeds her (and he will :D: ) he knows what dog to look for to stick the the guide lines of the breed.

They still have breathing problems (worse then the bulldog) and still only have a short life span.

I was looking at her and thinking if she was mine and the vet said she was in good health, then I would consider that a very healthy weight for her age.

I agree with the others about feeding a premium food and making some other changes to her diet, with the emphasis on quality not quantity.

Many owners make the mistake and confuse fat , with muscle tone and condition. Many like the look of the "big chunky dog " when in reality their dogs are very much over weight and all they are doing is reducing the number of years , their pet has on the earth.

Condition and muscle will come with time and the appropriate amount of exercise for their age, you just need to be patient. You may also find that no matter what you feed her, she may well ne a naturally lean bitch. People that fatten their dogs, as puppies, are asking for health concerns later in life.

:D

So sad TB, but still not a registered breed recognised where it counts

Sorry to hear about you bro, kick him up the behind

He is too big, and i have a sore foot.

*sigh*

I guess all i can do is be here and help out when it does happen, i just hope he does the right thing by the pups, or gets sick of the bitch and change his mind about breeding her

Warley - dad said he loved your dogs, but they were all too skinny :D I just cant win in my house ARGHHH

lol

He is going to wait for atleast 2 years, she is 4/5 months (we do know her DOB, i just can never remember it!) Maybe he might find a girlfriend and she will talk him out of it?

any singles DOLers reading this?? :rofl: :D

Warley - dad said he loved your dogs, but they were all too skinny I just cant win in my house ARGHHH

Doesn't that sh!t ya :rofl:

It's really sad, that the % of overweight pet dogs, is so high, that the ones who are at the optimum weight for their breed, type etc, are the ones that look out of place and are called skinny.

I don;t have one skinny dog in the kennel. I have a few Pugs that others would consider under weight, but I perfer mine to be active and know that they will have a long life.

Not having a go at your Dad. :rofl:

How the hell do we change that kind of mind set :D

How the hell do we change that kind of mind set

Start with the vets who keep telling owners that their fats dogs are ok in weight! My mum's BC is not a big dog, yet she weighs 32kg, she has grabbable rolls of fat on her chest when she sits and she's already had an operation on her elbows from carrying too much weight. Yet the vet (out of not wanting to offend? because he makes more money from fat dogs?) continues to tell my mum that shes "a good weight" and so she dismisses my opinion. And yes, my dogs "must be starving they are so skinny". Argh! :D

Edited by molasseslass

My parents are well trained, they too have a Border ( retired show bitch ) I would have to say they are amongst the strictest owners I have come across. The bitch does have snacks etc, but they are quick to balance it out, by reducing her breakfast.

I agree about the vets, far too many of those about. There are also those that say, " hey Rover is over weight, he needs some of this brand super expensive food " and then neglect to tell them, that if they cut back the food and treats and took him for a walk, they would be much better off.

There are good vets out there, it's just a matter of finding them. :D

For that sort of Breed that is heavy and grows fast I would not want to see her with much more weight on at all, for her age.

Too many of them have issues with joints, bones and breathing.

Can't convince me they are a healthier alternative to the British I'm afraid.

Warley - dad said he loved your dogs, but they were all too skinny I just cant win in my house ARGHHH

Doesn't that sh!t ya :rofl:

It's really sad, that the % of overweight pet dogs, is so high, that the ones who are at the optimum weight for their breed, type etc, are the ones that look out of place and are called skinny.

I don;t have one skinny dog in the kennel. I have a few Pugs that others would consider under weight, but I perfer mine to be active and know that they will have a long life.

Not having a go at your Dad. :eek:

How the hell do we change that kind of mind set :D

Nah, im totally with you. He shits me!! I was going to say exactly what ML has posted (quoted below) The vet tells them that both their dogs and cat (who you can grab 2 handfulls of fat under his belly and is 10 months old!) are at a good weight. The bulldog has heart problems, the Aussie has breathing problems and the cat is a Maine Coon that can get HD - ARGHHH

How the hell do we change that kind of mind set

Start with the vets who keep telling owners that their fats dogs are ok in weight! My mum's BC is not a big dog, yet she weighs 32kg, she has grabbable rolls of fat on her chest when she sits and she's already had an operation on her elbows from carrying too much weight. Yet the vet (out of not wanting to offend? because he makes more money from fat dogs?) continues to tell my mum that shes "a good weight" and so she dismisses my opinion. And yes, my dogs "must be starving they are so skinny". Argh! :rofl:

Ditto

For that sort of Breed that is heavy and grows fast I would not want to see her with much more weight on at all, for her age.

Too many of them have issues with joints, bones and breathing.

Can't convince me they are a healthier alternative to the British I'm afraid.

Im with you. Duke (bulldog) had a few major operations as a pup to widen the air ways , he also has a bad heart, BUT he has NEVER sounded as bad as the Aussie :D she rattles the windows

ETA: I have kaos - who dad says is too skinny ALL the time, i think she is good, i did try to get a bit of weight on her for winter, but i can not fatten her up !! Nothing i do works, so she gets a coat :eek:

Atlas needs to lose a bit more weight (he is looking the best he has in a long time) When i started to take it off i got a lot of comments on how i was starving him and crap.

I have also had someone threaten me. Said that they would report me to the RSPCA if i didnt start feeding Kaos.

I do the vetting at obedience, and there are so many fat dogs out there, i wish i could say something :eek:

Edited by Terrorbull

I have a fatty, she eats 1/3 of what my other pei eats, he never gains and eats like a horse, she has to look at something and puts on weight

Just like people I think some dogs are a struggle

I have tried explaining to alot of people when they remark they can see Zephyr's ribs that Jewel must eat his food, they do not listen and cannot understand that Zeph is a good weight, Jewel is fat. I tell them they get feed seperately and they still do not believe me

People nowdays are so used to seeing fat dogs they think it is normal

People nowdays are so used to seeing fat dogs they think it is normal

I am quite a slim person, I exercise a lot and keep myself fit and I'm always being told that I must be anorexic or that I "could do with a few more kgs". IMO I'm a healthy weight, but I'm always being told "You are soooo skinny". It's the same in dogs I guess :D

Well I am starting to think that if she is unhealthy, then she wouldn't be active. She's always jumping around and playing and always has a wet nose, shiny coat sparkly eyes and a big smile, so she can't be ill ad under weight I guess.

I am still putting her on a better diet though :D

I was wondering how she could eat so much. Seriously I've never seen any dog consume so much food so fast. She doesn't even take a breath. She looks like she's starving everytime I feed her.

It's just her ribs sticking out, her spine isn't showing at all, but she looks like she's sucking her tummy in all the time.

I was thinking it was the quality of the food, but have had Purina recommended before from someone here.

Soooo, I'll get some Eukanuba (sp?) and my local butcher is a really nice bloke, so she'll be spoilt with fresh meat :D

Is it ok to only give raw meat though?

Dogs ribs stick out when eating coz of how they eat. My boy looks like hes VERY neglected when he is eating and looks all skin and bone. Then once hes finished he looks normal again. LOL

My 23KG boy gets ~2.5 cups of Eukanuba performance per day and does ~1 hour of sprinting plus ~2hrs of walking a day.

4 cups plus 750g tin seems a huge amount!