My How To Handle My Rotti Pup?

bridged

How do i sucesfully teach my 12 week old rotti pup to walk on the leash?

I've been taking her for lots of walks and she walks perfectly next to you wen shes not on the leash but once i put it on she just pulls away, walks in frount of you and trip you over and is generally a pest. Also she walks ok on the leash when we take her out with the other dog she just sorta follows him along but when by her self shes a bit of a handfull

Edited by bridged

Im no expert or anything but i trained ramses to walk nicely on lead like this .

walk along and the minute her head passes your kneee walk in the opposite direction straight away puppy wont want to be left behind so should catch up pretty quick keep doing this everytime she pulls.

so basically *head passes knee turn and walk in opposite direction*

Have fun puppy training :laugh:

ok next problem im having with her is one shes just started tonight, that is that if you try and take somthing she chewing she growls very agresivly at me. I think she might have learned this from the older dog as if I try and take a bone or something hes chewing he arks right up. I want to stop this asap as if she's chewing something she shouldnt be and me or my gf tryes to take it away we risk getting bitten.

What i have done when shge growls is grab her by the scruff of the neck and tell her NO

Not sure if im doing the right thing or not?

For the possession problem (growling at you when you try to take something away) you could try swapping instead. Show her a food treat and when she drops the item give her the food. This way she learns good things come when she gives you something.

Do lots of repetitions of swapping for a treat instead, it will be much safer and teach her to drop what she's got. I use 'here' as a cue word.

Have you got a good training school nearby or would you like some recommendations? You have a large breed there- Rotti's are lovely dogs when they are obedience trained. :thumbsup:

Mel.

ETA: Ooh sorry, snap Kavik :eek:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I have always found that the leash walking comes in time...she's a puppy and running about sideways seems to settle down after a while.

If she's growling at you taking things away from her then she doesn't respect you as pack leader. Start NILIF (nothing in life is free)...this means that she doesn't get anything (food, toy) without doing something for you first...like sitting. Don't let her rush through doorways or small spaces before you...if she goes to shut the door so she can't get through.

I have always found that the leash walking comes in time...she's a puppy and running about sideways seems to settle down after a while.

If she's growling at you taking things away from her then she doesn't respect you as pack leader. Start NILIF (nothing in life is free)...this means that she doesn't get anything (food, toy) without doing something for you first...like sitting. Don't let her rush through doorways or small spaces before you...if she goes to shut the door so she can't get through.

NILIF sounds like a good plan i'll give it a shot

Hi Bridged,

are you in Melbourne?

if you are the Rotty Club of Victoria run weekly classes by professional instructors who volunteer their wednesday nights to run the training classes.

these instructors are fantastic!! the truly care about, love and understand the breed and their temperament. They are always happy to hang around after class and have one on one chats about any issues you may be having.

it would also be a great way to support the rotty club, and in effect support the Rottweiler breed in general :thumbsup:

How old did you say your pup was and how far are you walking it

Shes about 12 weeks now i take her for a 2or 3 k walk most days, Is this too much? Not enough?

Hi Bridged,

are you in Melbourne?

if you are the Rotty Club of Victoria run weekly classes by professional instructors who volunteer their wednesday nights to run the training classes.

these instructors are fantastic!! the truly care about, love and understand the breed and their temperament. They are always happy to hang around after class and have one on one chats about any issues you may be having.

it would also be a great way to support the rotty club, and in effect support the Rottweiler breed in general :thumbsup:

Where are the located? any details would be apreciated

How old did you say your pup was and how far are you walking it

Shes about 12 weeks now i take her for a 2or 3 k walk most days, Is this too much? Not enough?

Far too much. Large breed puppies should only be walked for very short amounts of time, maybe 10 minutes at the most...they shouldn't be walking long distances until they're 12 months old :thumbsup:

Hi Bridged,

Rotty Club of Victoria run their classes every wednesday 7:30pm to 8:30pm

there is generally socialization of some sort for the dogs after class, such as someone rollerblading past the dogs, dressing up in costumes, lawnmowers all sorts of things really dogs may experience in every day life. this part only goes for about 15 minutes or so.

it is held indoors, in the big shed, so even in the rainy weather there is no excuse not to attend training LOL

with daylights saving coming on some of the classes will be outdoors, so that should be fun and bring a whole new range of challenges my way LOL

anyhow it is held at KCC park i can't think of the exact address right now,

will get back to you with it :thumbsup:

it costs $50 per year to become a member of the Rotty Club, which youhave to do for insurance purposes, then every class is $5 or you could buy a block of 5 training sessions for $15 which works out to only $3 per class. but i believe the block package has to be used consecutively?

hope to see you there one day :eek: i am the one bouncing around with my dog LOL

cheers

oonga

p.s i just found the link from the Rotty club with the details on the training :love:

http://rottweilerclubofvictoria.com/site/index.php?id=32

Edited by oonga

thanks alot for your advise poeple i'll stop taking her for such long walks :thumbsup:

I think the rotti club is to far away for me (says on the website cranbourne) I'll try and find something a bit closer i think. Anyone know a good place to take her in the western region of melboure?

Shes getting her final shot tomorow so I'd like to start taking her somewhere next week