Crying When Someone Leaves The House

Flying Penguin

To add to what SKWO2 said, make sure that you don't make a big deal about coming home or leaving the house. This will make her more anxious if you leave. When you first walk through the door, don't look at her, or talk to her. Walk past and do something else first, then come back to her and calmly and quietly say hello and give her a pat.

When leaving don't make a big deal of it. Give her a toy and just walk out the door.

Cheers,

Tessa

I just need to ask. As I read it Sam cries even when someone is STILL in the house? If thats so, does the person left behind with Sam make a fuss and try to soothe Sam? This pup will have noted the attention and may now be doing it to recieve more of the same attention. How does Sam act when everyone leaves and pup IS left alone?

To add to what SKWO2 said, make sure that you don't make a big deal about coming home or leaving the house. This will make her more anxious if you leave. When you first walk through the door, don't look at her, or talk to her. Walk past and do something else first, then come back to her and calmly and quietly say hello and give her a pat.

When leaving don't make a big deal of it. Give her a toy and just walk out the door.

Cheers,

Tessa

Thanks!! I wish the door could just we walked out of but someone has to pick her up else she tries to run out the door.

I just need to ask. As I read it Sam cries even when someone is STILL in the house? If thats so, does the person left behind with Sam make a fuss and try to soothe Sam? This pup will have noted the attention and may now be doing it to recieve more of the same attention. How does Sam act when everyone leaves and pup IS left alone?

Yeah she cries when people are still in the house, and sometimes we ignore her and she keeps crying and others we will try and distract her but it doesnt work.

Not everyone has ever left the house so im not sure how she would act. We have closed the back dooe and left her outside alone for 5 mins or so before (especially if she has been naughty) and she cries at the back door and when she has quited down we have let her back in.

OK I think Sam is a smart little puppy here, well arent all beagles :rainbowbridge:

My best suggestion would be get her a crate NOW and give her some where safe to go IF she feels she has been left behind. Just before someone leaves place her in the crate and give her a favourite chew toy or a bone. Given time the crate will be a safe place and will make her happy. She will not mind if people come and go. One thing though, don't leave her with a bone when no one will be there to watch her. And as suggested before don't fuss over her when the comings and goings happen. Only pay attention when she is settled and relaxed.

Good luck

Sounds like one spoilt puppy. :rainbowbridge:

Seperation anxiety is what she's having problems with and making a fuss over her when you or anyone else leaves is a big no, no.

To break the cycle, leave the house without a great deal of fuss for around 2 minutes (ignore the cries and whimpering, I know it's hard, but for a happy household this must be done), walk back in and just ignore her. The pup cannot receive attention or even be looked at when you first walk in, pats and attention need to be earnt, and remember she is lower in rank so must wait her turn. Around ten minutes of you and who ever else is in the household walking around the house, then have the pup sit or do some kind of command with Sam, then give her praise and pats she has just earnt. Makes sure Sam follows through with the instruction given.

Keep doing this every hour or so, but extend the time by a minute or so. She will then come to terms with being left alone, and that in time you will return.

Might be worth having a look for some basic doggy training books. Or join an obedience club with an instructor who knows what there talking about. Remember your going to have this pup for many years, and nows the time to get it right.

Hope this helps, and makes sense.

Sharon

maybe you can try not to let her observe anyone leaving the house, when ever someone is going out, it's PLAYTIME! YAY! say if your mum is approaching the door to leave, you grab a toy and have crazy fun with pup. I usually get some treats and lure pup away from the main door when someone leaves.

I think dogs can count. My old maltese can count the number of family members not home and he'll wait at the door until everybody is home, then he'll go to sleep. Sometimes that means napping at the door until the last member returns.