Hot Spots

Peachie

Neotopic Lotion is what my vet gave me yesterday. Obviously my girl has hot spots from what I read on this thread. The vet didnt actually tell me what it was.

She is on abs and Neotopic Lotion with both sides of her face shaved to reduce irritation.

My girl recently had a hot spot. I initially cut the hair around the spot, bathed it in malaseb and applied betadine for the first 2 days. Then i tried Apple Cider vinegar ..... didn't improve, but certainly didn't get inflamed/infected. After that, i used Lucas' Pawpaw ointment which completely cleared it up within around 8 days. Have heard that Curash is really good as well.

Hi there

trying to find out what my girl staffy has developed this afternoon. Our boy is currently being treated for a wandering dew rash and secondary infection with a cortesone injection and atibiotics however we have notice that our girl has a heap of littl lumps on her back, mainly on her rump area. It's like acne or a lot of mozzie bites. Didn't know if it was from the two playing together (often they get a couple of sraps etc) or hot spots. I've never encountered hot spots before but have heard people mention them often on DOL.

They came up quite quickly this afternoon and looked like mozzie bites then turned more into pimply type sores (only small) they got fairly inflamed where you could notice the fur sticking up where the bump was but it seems to have gone down now. Thought it might have been a bit of a mozzie attack with the heat we had yesterday in Newcastle and the rain today or maybe it was just due to the heat??

Any suggestions on what it might be would be great. Hoping it will have gone away by the morning :rofl:

Axelotti,

It's like pimples because that's just what it is. It's a skin infection called a pyoderma, similar to folliculitis or prickly heat in humans. Treatment is with medicated shampoo such as Pyohex or Malaseb and a course of broad spectrum antibiotics. Very common in the warmer months.