Clipping Maltese/shi Tzu

Brookie

HI,

Brookie is almost back to normal- apparently the vet was away when Brookie was clipped/shaven.

The girl that did it was a junior and it was definitely clipper burn plus small cut under front leg and down to skin along side one paw near nail. Also pads very sore- she was very upset.

Vet apologised profusely and gave injection and medication for free- still haven't decided whether to ask for money back. :thumbsup:

This is 3rd time she has been clipped at the vets.

Will be going to professional groomer in future even if it is a 280k round trip

Photos yesterday morning- she has now started to play with toys though does not like hard floors yet.

post-8007-1161643695_thumb.jpg

post-8007-1161643775_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medication is Delta Cortef 5mgs- one per day for 5 days- 3 to go including today.

She has also had the shakes-tremors- which she has not had before. We calm her down and talk to her and it goes.

Would it be medication or trauma from "shave"?

What blade was you dog clipped with Brookie?

She certainly looks like she has been done very, very short.

I would ask for a full refund and never go back there.

To get a "junior" (unless fully supervised by a senior groomer) to clip a dog is unprofessional at best.

I hope she's alright too many unexperienced groomers giving us decent groomers a bad name, to let a junior clip a dog without 100% supervision is completely unprofessional and irresponsible, I would be demanding the money back because you didn't get what you paid for (a professional service). I hope the vet treatment and medication was not out of your pocket.

Oh hell get me a box of tissues :laugh: I have had and shown rough coat St Bernards since 1985 plus a Poodle, now we have Shih Tzu's. I take the time to clip a dog and use the correct tools that are needed. I see plenty of neglected dogs (reportable).

I'm happy for you that where you work you are able to do the right thing. But are you blind to the fact there are many that don't just as there are bad groomers that don't work for vet either. Predominantly I have no faith in VETS in general and see no reason for them to participate in an area that doesn't concern them. Vets also tell us that immunisation is good every year too. Good for who ? Come on girl's admit it there are bad apples on every tree I see one every morning in the mirror !

I have to disagree that Vets should not be concerned with Grooming, many animals that need to be clipped off at the Vets are animals with skin problems and animals that are suffering skin irritations from the appalling condition of their coat and parasites.

Animals that need to be sedated, like badly matted cats all have a place being clipped in the clinic.

Grooming is actually an important part of maintaining the health and well being of an animal. Goes hand in hand with animal health.

I did say that bad experiences could be had anywhere, but your post was very anti grooming at vet clinics in general.

Hey People do you get your hair cut at the doctors ? Most Vets are flat out being Vets why take your dog to them to be groomed. What do they slip your dog when you aren't there so they can make the fast buck ?

I am glad that you have experience with coated breeds Dogcop, but so do many other people who just happen to work within Vet Clinics.

For what it is worth our clinic is not Pro annual Vaccinations either :laugh:

Nadia with all due respect to you may be you should come down here and show them how not to drown a great dane in a hydro bath :) and sorry yes it did happen as did the maltese cross that got 3rd degree burns from a heated pad that had no cover on it after the dog had teeth done. client wasn't told of what happened till he went back after four days after and was told to get over it accidents happen and sold $33 cream to put on it. not fair on a 11 year old dog and a 80+ pensioner as no doubt you will agree.

I do agree with what you say about cats etc :laugh:

How old is Brookie?

Glad she's feeling better

Brookie is 19 months and is a bit brighter tonight thanks

Has Brookie been to another groomer before or just the vets?

Dogcop how on earth do you drown a Great Dane in a hydrobath? That doesn't even seem possible.

"Sedation" that is also why the other dog got 3rd degree burns.

Why would you even bother sedating a great dane for grooming? This is one time the garden hose in the back yard would have worked quite well!

I am also interested in knowing if the dog was badley matted. That is an extremely short clip. The only time I use a #10 is when the dog is badley matted and I have no other choice, however, even using a #10 I have never had a dog with clipper burn. Brookie?

They always seem to vanish when you ask if the dog was knotty...happens at work too when they're complaining about the previous groomer cutting the dog shorter than asked.

I don't recall Brookie having said anything about the length, other than that it was shorter than previous haircuts. Brookie probably realised after she got the dog back how matted she really was, and I'm sure she'll be more careful in the future. It's hard for some owners to realise that their puppies' soft and easy to care for hair has gotten more difficult to keep knot-free, and I think you are being needlessly rude to Brookie who only came onto this site for advice about her dog's behaviour.

Who knows how matted the poor pup was, too? If the groomer was junior enough to not check for her blade heat, or make sure she didn't cut any skin, then who's to say she didn't use a blade totally inappropriate for the dog's condition? I would say the blame lies totally in the groomer's supervisor, and not Brookie or even the vet necessarily! If you were a vet and hired a professional groomer, wouldn't you expect them to train their Juniors in a professional manner?

Brookie has probably stopped checking this thread as it's turned into an argument about horrible groomers, vets, etc. Not because she's been abusive and can't stand to face up to it! Chill a little, people!

Edited by lcringo

They always seem to vanish when you ask if the dog was knotty...happens at work too when they're complaining about the previous groomer cutting the dog shorter than asked.

I don't recall Brookie having said anything about the length, other than that it was shorter than previous haircuts. Brookie probably realised after she got the dog back how matted she really was, and I'm sure she'll be more careful in the future. It's hard for some owners to realise that their puppies' soft and easy to care for hair has gotten more difficult to keep knot-free, and I think you are being needlessly rude to Brookie who only came onto this site for advice about her dog's behaviour.

Who knows how matted the poor pup was, too? If the groomer was junior enough to not check for her blade heat, or make sure she didn't cut any skin, then who's to say she didn't use a blade totally inappropriate for the dog's condition? I would say the blame lies totally in the groomer's supervisor, and not Brookie or even the vet necessarily! If you were a vet and hired a professional groomer, wouldn't you expect them to train their Juniors in a professional manner?

Brookie has probably stopped checking this thread as it's turned into an argument about horrible groomers, vets, etc. Not because she's been abusive and can't stand to face up to it! Chill a little, people!

I'm sorry if I offended you lcringo and Brookie. I am only trying to find out what happened. Or rather HOW it happened. Her dog should not have been hurt in a normal grooming. I am NOT saying the groomer/junior groomer was in the right. If it was knotty and not used to being groomed (like I was asking at the start of the thread when Brookie WAS still reading) I can then understand why it MIGHT have happened. These points do make a HUGE difference and driving 200kms to another groomer might not see a different end result. Matted dogs are at much bigger risk of clipper irritation and cuts. Doesn't happen often...but it CAN happen even to the best of groomers. That's why I'm trying to find out if the dog was only slightly matted or a walking pelt.

Given the vet paid the bill and tried to make things right I would suggest sticking with them. Just make sure the REAL groomer does the grooming next time. 200kms is a hell of long drive on a regular basis especially when you dont know if that groomer is even any better. I think the best of us would even end up pushing the time between groomers out further and further if we had to drive that far.

We have a Maltese x Papillon.

I do ALL the grooming , nails, clipping between the pads, the landing strip as I call it so she doesnt get "dags".

Gemima wasn't too crazy about getting groomed at first, so i would just do it in stages, with lots of treats and praise.

She still isn't too crazy about getting groomed, but she knows it will make her feel better.

At the moment she is in puppy cut ( because our BC pup was dragging her by her coat) For the first few days after her puppy cut and on our colder days here she wears her wollen jumpers.

Brookie, have you ever tried to do the grooming yourself???

Depending on where you live, if your not too confident, there is possibly a DOLer who lives close to you that could help you learn.

• 1 month later...

Our little Brookie is back to normal- still a bit scared of sharp noises but playful and looks almost normal with hair growing back- lets us brush everday without problem.

Have spoken to a couple of Shi Tzu owners who have had same problem with same vet.

One dog died two days after and he always thought it was shock from clip and rash etc.

Fortunately we have two vets in town and also have found professional to trim in future

Thanks for all support.

I would also point out to others that matting was only in a few spots and those could have been trimmed-she was not matted onlegs, or in "armpits", or on paws. She is regularly brushed and we are concious of problems with matting

Edited by Brookie