Lab Puppy Panting Excessively

foxy0711

Hi!

We've noticed latley that my OH's 10 month old black labrador has been panting alot. He is panting when he is lying down or just walking around and hasnt done any exercise or has any reason to be panting. He still seems to be his normal self.

I thought it might be as a reaction to the weather getting warmer but its still not all that hot or humid up here yet so Im a bit clueless. All his worming etc is up to date

Does anyone have any idea why he could be panting so much???

I have black dogs and they find 20 degrees hot, I hate to think how they'd cope with the heat of N. Queensland. High humidity really knocks them around even if the temperature is only in the low twenties, so I imagine that your dog would be the same. Black attracts the heat much more than lighter colours, touch his back while he's in the sun and you will see what I mean. You are probably used to the heat and humidity up there and and don't really notice it, but I can assure you that if I flew up there from Melbourne I would definitely think it hot. Your 10 month old puppy is just reacting to the climate, even 25 degrees with 50 or 60% humidity is hard to take for a black dog.

Asked the vet the same question about Tango yesterday as he 'gets hot' if it's over 18 and she suggested that he was one of those dogs that just 'runs hot'....he'll go and stand in the pond in cold water if the sun's out :thumbsup: but even though he's shortcoated is quite happy in 2 or 3°C...hate to see how Tango's going to be in the height of summer.........

I know you said worming was up to date so I assume he is on heartworm prevention. It's just that heartworm prevention is usually separate to the other worming medication and if you are new to dogs or dogs in heartworm territory then you might not know about it.

Ask if you have any queries or ignore this post if heartworm is under control.

Foxy, I'm in Cairns and my girl has been panting since we arrived here in Winter :laugh: It's the humidity. She had just gotten used to it and now it's warming up.

She won't do it consistently, but more than she used to. Even when I don't think it's particularly humid, she feels it more. It's not stressing her though and she's happily doing everything she used to so the vet said not to worry about it.

When we lived in Derby (in WA pretty well straight across from Cairns) our BC would get into the bottom of our drinks fridge to cool down-she could get out herself but we had to check that she didn't fall asleep and stay in too long!