Beef Vs Beef

SwaY

Ive been told feed pet mince instead of human.

Human mince has colours and preservatives.

Ok so there is beef mince and beef mince.

I am able to get two different brands of mince.

Lilydale mince buy it frozen in 1kg lots.

Or Ecopet mince 1kg lots not frozen.

It one any better then the other?

Human grade mince does not contain colours and preservatives, but a lot of pets mince does. Food colour is often added to pets mince to make it look attractive and to make it appear to contain muscle meat when frequently it just contains rubbish. I have never fed pets mince, be very careful where you buy it from as some of it is very poor quality. Sorry, but I can't help you with the two brands you mentioned.

Thank you very much.

Human mince does contain colours and preservatives, My brother is a butcher for Coles.

They add dye to it to make it pink etc

Looks like i need to do some more investigating. Thank you

Human grade mince does not contain colours and preservatives,

Er... yep, it does.

If you buy from a good butcher and ask what is in it, they'll usually tell you straight out.

Ours has specific signs on SOME of their mince saying "use within 24 hours of purchase, does not contain preservatives"

My butcher doesn't use colouring or preservatives in his human minces and he also does an excellent chicken pets mince made from minced chicken frames, unfortunately he puts food dye in this which is why I won't use it. He reckons people won't buy it if he doesn't colour it.

If you can't trust your butcher not to add dye and or preservatives to human grade mince buy Beef Heart or gravy beef instead. Better yet change your butcher to one you can trust.

I wouldn't feed pet mince to any dog because of the sulfur dioxide added to it. Sulfur dioxide removes the Thiamin in the dogs diet, not really a good idea. Worst still the butcher doesn't have to state sulfur dioxide on the ingredients list.

Many places that mince their own meat, off cuts and carcasses etc do not add anything to the meat. You have to use it straight away or freeze it.

Pre packaged meat especially in the vacuum packs seem to the worst offenders for the preservatives.

I use human grade mince for my dogs. I just get pieces of chicken breast (sometimes chicken leg fillet), throw it through the mincer and presto.....chicken mince! :rofl::o

I get my beef mince from a friend who sells meat to restaurants etc :rofl: He gives them to me for free since he knows mum :(

Edited by kaywoman68

Lucky duck kaywoman!

Mine have to settle for the minced off-cuts from the butchers.

I have noticed that some pre-packed roo meat is practically swimming in a blueish-greenish preserving mix :rofl:

Ewwwwww! :o

Mum gives this friend (Butcher) chicken for free so he gives us beef, lamb and pork for free :rofl: (as long as it's for ourselves).

I asked for 2 pork chops yesterday and ended up with 9 :( So I took 4 home and mum took the 5....

Thats it!

I'm getting on ebay and buying a hand mincer! Sounds like yummy fun for us AND the dogs (and I can out it to use when we buy cheapo cuts and they turn out to be inedible :( )

:o I was doing the same thing!!

Edited by H20