Teething Pup

saintlysusan

Hi Everyone,

Well the day finally came and I got my dog, Boris, he's a big happy St Bernard puppy, 8 weeks old today.

Only drama is he bites sooooooooo much from teething and this morning after trying to get his collar on and him not wanting it on, he "sort-of" bit me but I think it was more the sharpness of his baby teeth sliced open my thumb, bled a fair bit too, his tooth cut me like a razor, I had no idea they were so sharp!

I dont know how to stop him from doing it, I try pushing his nose down and saying NO firmly as apposed to smacking/tapping his nose but that seems to make him do it more, as does pulling your hand away or whatever it is hes biting!

Hes a naughty boy.... lol

Any suggestions for my baby puppy? (So Naughty but so Nice hehe)

Is there any such thing as puppy teething gel? lol

post-12900-1162263139_thumb.jpg

I would advise against any yelping/high pitched sounds - saints seem to take this again the wrong way for play.

No should be said firm low tone.

I learn somthing new everyday :thumbsup: .

Thank you for fixing that, :thumbsup: I dont know much about saints I was just going about the way how to deal with puppies in genral

Thanks for your advice,

I commonly do replace my hands etc with chew toys but the problem comes back every time I just wanna pat him, unless hes asleep!

He see's it as a invitation to naw lol.

Im sure its just a faze and his gums do look abit red and irritated so I dont blame him at all but knowing how sharp they are now and with little kids that are about the same size as him (lol) Id hate for him to bite them like what happened to me.

My breeder advised me not to give him real bones because of the risks but I am buying him the Pal pedigree denta bones amongst other ones.

BUT on a nicer note, he is a sweetie, I was very sick the other night and basically out cold on the sofa with my arm over the side , he had the perfect oppertunity to bite me but he licked my whole arm!!!

He goobed me..... I was covered in slobber, it was so cute, I think maybe he knew I wasnt feeling well and he was telling me he wuvved me...hehe

Edited by saintlysusan

My boy was quite bitey as a baby - i took to a quick knock on the top of the nose with my knuckles and a loud serious Ouch! he got the message - took about 3 hrs!! he now has the softest mouth and altho he still nibbles gently - if i stick my fingers in his mouth he will automatically try to gently tongue them out again :provoke:

my new pup seems to have taken to eating out rental house to solve teething issues :thumbsup: OH went to the shops to get more bones asap!!! the joys....