Sick Puppy

Diesel the Weasel

My pup was fine last night - his usual energetic, chewy self. I had to put him to bed in the laundry around 7pm because I had a meeting. Left him with a meaty bone to chew and some dry biscuits.

Got up this morning to find that he had vomited over night. He has no energy and refuses to eat or drink. Even when I tried to give him a dried liver treat (which he normally loves) he started to whine. When I pick him up around his middle, he starts to growl, but all he wants to do is sit on my lap.

I have taken him to the vet this morning - they are keeping him in for observation today. They think it is probably just something he ate...... I hope so! I am really worried about him (he is my little fur baby!!)

Have others out there had similar experiences? I would just like some reassurance that this is a normal puppy occurance!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My friend found her dog in a similar state and he actually had a bit of chicken bone (from uncooked chicken) lodged in his throat.

Never give a dog cooked bones, ever but raw bones can still cause a problem.

You have done the right thing - puppies go downhill very quickly so don't take any chances, hope puppy soon feels better!

He is 13 weeks old. I usually only give him chicken necks (always raw of course!). Last nights bone was a lamb shank cut in half - that is what the vet recommended me to give him! He has had lamb bones before - doesn't eat much meat off them - just loves to have a bit of a chew and carry it around the house until it smells so bad I throw it out!

I have just rung the vet to find out how he is going - they said it is just a bit of gastro. He must have picked up a tummy bug from somewhere. He is looking a bit more lively now and has started eating. :D

I can take him home later this afternoon!

What breed of dog is this?

Please don't leave your dog with dry kibble...always feed it soaked. This is particularly important with deep chested breeds, but I would be soaking it no matter what breed.

I'm glad that he's eating again and you can bring him home, what a relief for you...it's awful when they're sick.

Please don't leave your dog with dry kibble...always feed it soaked. This is particularly important with deep chested breeds, but I would be soaking it no matter what breed.

I'm glad that he's eating again and you can bring him home, what a relief for you...it's awful when they're sick.

can i ask why soaked buiscuit we have a mastiff x and ridgeback x should they be having thins done to one is 11 weeks the other 2 yrs

karen

can i ask why soaked buiscuit we have a mastiff x and ridgeback x should they be having thins done to one is 11 weeks the other 2 yrs

karen

its important especially with young pups

Young pups tend to gulp and dry kibble can be a bad mix could easily get stuck etc. You should never leave a younger dog unsupervised with eating until you know your dog can eat properly. Chew not gulp.

Diesel, the lamb shank wouldnt help too much if it was a tummy bug. Gastro is usually agrevated by rich foods. Just too much for the dogs system to ingest. I's stick to some plain food for next few days if i were you.

Diesel is a mini schnauzer. I am not worried about him gulping his food - he is a picky eater normally anyway. Not fussy, just eats a small amount then comes back a bit later and eats a little more. I used to be worried he wasn't eating enough, but he has been putting on weight and is normally healthy and energetic.

Just got him home (so relieved!). And he is back to the 'eating my pant legs' game, so he must be feeling better. He still looks a bit sorry for himself. He is on antibiotics (had an injection today, tablets starting tomorrow). I am supposed to only give him small soft meals and his throat may be irritated from the vomiting.

I have been such a worried mum today..... Is this is what it is like with real kids????

Diesel is a mini schnauzer. I am not worried about him gulping his food - he is a picky eater normally anyway. Not fussy, just eats a small amount then comes back a bit later and eats a little more. I used to be worried he wasn't eating enough, but he has been putting on weight and is normally healthy and energetic.

Just got him home (so relieved!). And he is back to the 'eating my pant legs' game, so he must be feeling better. He still looks a bit sorry for himself. He is on antibiotics (had an injection today, tablets starting tomorrow). I am supposed to only give him small soft meals and his throat may be irritated from the vomiting.

I have been such a worried mum today..... Is this is what it is like with real kids????

Ah the mini schnauzer...never underestimate the power of their stomach. He probably stuffed himself silly, even when they eat a little at a time. He might've just eaten a bit too much of a bone at once.

I spent half my life with these little buggers, my grandparents bred them. For a little fussy dog they can still stuff themselves.

Just called the vet - they suspect there is a blockage as they have done a barium x-ray. They are going to do another one later today to see if the barium has still not moved - if is is a blockage, then he will need surgery.

Vet thought it looks like something soft such as a sock. Not sure that I am missing any, but if it is i would love to know how he managed to eat a sock without choking?? Don't reckon I could gag one down!

He is only 13 weeks - how safe is surgery at this age? I know there is no choice, and I will do anything to make him better. Just wondering what the risks are?

Has anyone had puppies with bowel obstructions before??

<Vet thought it looks like something soft such as a sock. Not sure that I am missing any, but if it is i would love to know how he managed to eat a sock without choking?? Don't reckon I could gag one down!>

It is amazing what a puppy can get down!! And they are so quick... If I see Bree head out the back in a hurry I usually follow to see what she has managed to nick this time :rofl: A dog I bred came back to stay with me for a weekend when he was about a year old and to my horror he swallowed a sports sock right in front of me. Luckily it all came out okay in the end.... Apparently he still does this often and he is 2 now. They just can't seem to keep stuff out of his reach!

I hope Diesel recovers well. Yes puppies can be a real worry but don't you love 'em?! Let us know how he gets on. I am sending good wishes your way.

I usually watch him pretty closely and take away anything that he shouldn't be chewing. He loves stealing my bras :rofl: , but maybe that is why he swallowed whatever it is so quickly!

I am really hoping it is not a lacy g-string ;) .........

Someone suggested getting bucket loads of paraffin oil down him and maybe it would just slide out? Anyone used this method before? I would like to avoid surgery if I can.....

Hi There,

I hope your pup is O.K!!!

I have been through this with Bailey including the surgery. They found a piece of plastic in his stomach and I still can't figure out where it came from.......He stayed at the vets for a week but recovered from the surgery very well. He was 6 months old at the time and like you i would have done anything to make him well again which it did.

I hope your pup doesn't have to have surgery but just be guided by what the vet thinks.

Mel

A friend of mines dog swallowed her g-string and he pooed it out while they had friends over! :)

Edited by Mum 2 Bailey n Chelsea

its not just any puppy...Mini schnauzer pups never cease to surprise me.

Axle (RIP baby) once ate a huge bone..it was as big as him. We didnt think he would eat it all just let him chew on it a bit. Half hour later it was all gone...

On another occasion we went out and poor bugger got stressed out...he managed to eat all the upholstery on the door (it was a sound proof door thing, foam covered in fake leather stuff). He ate like a square meter of foam and pvc stuff! Basically as high as he could jump and rip and bite thats how much off the stuff he got off the door. Of course by the time we got home he threw up everywhere including my mums boots. Couldnt really punish him because he looked so sorry for himself.

Anyways hope your little man is doing better today :) keeping you and him in my thoughts.

Since its a bigger blockage it could be a g string and bra set he ate...

Really bad news.....

He is worse this morning. Poor little thing just stands there with his head down and vomit coming out his nose and mouth. :laugh:

They did another x-ray and the vomiting has caused his small intestine to fold in on itself (like a telescope). So they are putting him on a drip for a couple of hours then operating. The vet is not sure if he will make it.

I can't stop crying

Oh dear you poor thing that is not good news. I have everything crossed for him and sending positive vibes your way. I'm just off to work but will check in as soon as I can. :laugh: Try to think positive.....

Sorry I forgot to say that my Dobe went through that surgery years ago and she was okay.

Edited by Gretel