Barking - How To Stop It

frenzied1

Hello All,

Murdock is 16 weeks now and is turning into abit of a yapper. I am home during the day and he and Kenzie are in and out all day. I have tried ignoring it and he does eventually shut up but with 4 kids, maybe one of them is reacting. But he has started barking when you are getting his dinner, when he goes out first thing in the morning, and for various other reasons that he sees fit.

I have tried this evening a Citronella collar and it didn't activate because of his high pitched bark. It worked when I did it ;)

Anyway any ideas? I am at a loss :rofl:

Thanks in advance

Barking for dinner is a whole other reason....doggie is back chatting you :rofl:

You can try a number of different no-bark collars for when the dog is excessively barking, there is a new one called JetCare, you can see it on the K9 website Kumuzz mentioned.

You could try using Sound when he is barking such as a Fog Horn or a high pitched noise (ultra sonic). You'd need to read up more on these methods though.

The best method is to first find out why the dog is barking and then address the issue.

A bark collar on a 16 week old pup is alittle cruel I think

Training is the answer

Divert his attention with a loud noise when he barks and as soon as he is quiet give him a food reward, a coke bottle full of coins, two saucepan lids banged together

If that fails squirt him with a water spray bottle

I have a bit of a problem with my bitch barking and I just thought of maybe a silent whistle because when she is barking she is `in the zone' and she can't hear anything. We also live part way up a hill so everything echos.

Will let you know if it works. (ofcourse give her a treat and lots of praise for her stopping)

My youngest was an excited barker but I told her 'Quiet' everytime she barked and did all the NILIF things and she has really settled down.

I have tried to keep her as calm as possible all the time and fed her at different times of the day. Now she only barks when necessary but it's taken 4 months, with one major setback when a zoomie visitor stayed for a while.

I'd try a sequence of things.

First the Nothing In Life is Free approach. Train Murdock to obey 'Sit' to get all good things from you or the rest of the family. If he makes a noise while doing so...turn back & ignore. He needs to get the message the Sit & being quiet earn good things. That would help cover his barking for his dinner.

Second look at any possibilities of boredom...barking is 'something to do'. Enourage him to play with any toys he likes...& hopefullly carries around or chews (like a kong). Bit hard to bark with something in mouth.

Third look at any stimulus outside. Can he see passing pedestrians...dog next door...whatever.

Cut off his view from any of these (plasic weed matting makes a good 'block')

Fourth try the Hell Of a Mystery Noise approach. Get someone to be in another room. Soon as Murdock starts to bark, that person gives one hell of a bang on the wall or door...or one hell of a crash of 2 pans. Gradually dogs get the message...this spooky, scarey sound seems to be triggered by their barking. No bark...no scarey noise.

Edited by mita

:rofl: Thanks Mita, Murdock only barks at us, he never barks at the gates or fences. He has plenty to do and is inside with us alot of the time.

We do already make him sit for everything.

I will try the mystery noise I think.

Thank you all

If anyone needs to get anything from innotek, go to our website Pet Search website

and go to the links page, we have a special ID number that you can quote to innotek and get a discount. We have the innotek fence installed at my mums place due to fence jumping doggies, and I am happy to talk to anyone about how this works, and people can have a look at it too (we are in western sydney).

Maybe when the mystery noise happens, say a special word and try and associate the two for the dog. After a while hopefully you can phase out the mystery noise.

It's been just my luck but I've fixed my dog and the neighbour has acquired an early-morning yapping pup...where's those saucepans!

ETA - Noise can really scare a pup, so use it sparingly.

Edited by Benji's Mum

Training is the answer

Divert his attention with a loud noise when he barks and as soon as he is quiet give him a food reward, a coke bottle full of coins, two saucepan lids banged together

Cruel? What specifically is cruel? With your above method, how would you control the dog when you're not home?

Making load noises only makes the dog thinks you're joining in and is certainly not reccomended for weak nerved dogs, more harm than good done. You wouldn't want to do this to any puppy due to the factor they may be a fear period.

Edited by sas

:rofl: Thanks Mita, Murdock only barks at us, he never barks at the gates or fences. He has plenty to do and is inside with us alot of the time.

We do already make him sit for everything.

I will try the mystery noise I think.

Thank you all

Your dog doesn't need a bark collar as it doesn't have a barking problem, it needs a Leader.

Edited by sas

Thank you everyone. I have tried ignoring him and then rewarding quietness, but someone said that if you were going to make a loud noise when they barked that you couldn't be visable to the dog. Is this correct?

It does work when the dog can see you because I've used it both for barking and dangerous behaviour eg when she's jumping on me, and it worked. I don't have anyone else here to help and it's impractical for me to carry something noisy all the time and hide whenever she does something wrong, so I tried to link the noise with a positive voice command and reward asap. (This problem child came from the Pound at 4 months with some serious probs!)

Training is the answer

Cruel? What specifically is cruel? With your above method, how would you control the dog when you're not home?

Making load noises only makes the dog thinks you're joining in and is certainly not reccomended for weak nerved dogs, more harm than good done. You wouldn't want to do this to any puppy due to the factor they may be a fear period.

Squirting citronella in a pups face is cruel. You should and must try all other methods of training before you put a puppy in a citronella collar

You would not have to control this pup when they are not home as he only barks at them :)

There is nothing wrong with making a loud noice to divert the pup away from what he is doing, does not sound like a nervous dog to me which is why I recommended it

Why is a collar that squirts stinky stuff any different to a loud noise in their fear period? If that is something that you are concerned about the pup could also become scared of collars

Very sweet, he doesn't seem to be permanently scarred!

Please note that when I use reinforcements like this I verbally warn them/ask them to be quiet first a couple of times, maintain eye contact, reinforce and then reassure them a lot afterwards.

IE, only when verbal commands have failed.

Just to let everyone know, I got my silent whistle yesterday arvo and OMG it works a treat. My dogs have basically stopped barking at nothing.

If they start to bark I look and see what it is that they are barking at and if its something they shouldn't be barking at I blow the whistle, they come to the back/front door, I get them to sit and then give them a treat.

It was so good to sit and satch a bit of telly last night being relaxed cause the dogs weren't barking.