Trick Of The Week 28/03/-04/04/04

whatevah

• 1 month later...

those roll shots are adorable!

i taught sweep to roll by actually rolling him a couple of times myself when he was in the drop position and using the command roll over. once he figured what "roll over" meant, instead of physically rolling him, i moved his head in the direction i wanted him to roll.... then once he got the hang of that the command was "roll over" and a tap on the side of the head. only thing is he is a silky terrier... so alot easier to move about myself!

he is very cute when he does it! he got to the stage where he just kept rolling cause must have thought he would get more treats the longer the roll! hahahhahahaha a continual roll along the carpet looks very funny!!

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, thanks for this- i was only thinking recently that i wanted to teach oren this.

what do i do if oren doesnt respond to the food in my hand??? she is very attentive to me when im teeachin- and maintains eye contact rather then watchin my treat hand. i will try in the mornin anyway, see how she goes

i have only just taught her to laydown. but now if i say sit- she sits then lies down straight away too- how do i say for her to get up and sit without having her jump at me? (if i say UP she jumps up from lying position, then i have to say sit agin?!)

sorry for the mini hijjac- i just wanna know how to master these steps b4 attempting rollover again

• 2 weeks later...
i have only just taught her to laydown. but now if i say sit- she sits then lies down straight away too- how do i say for her to get up and sit without having her jump at me? (if i say UP she jumps up from lying position, then i have to say sit agin?!)

One of my guys was doing this too.

You need to anticipate that she will go into the down after the sit and reward her (click) before she goes into the down. Reinforce the sit more than the down until she is solid with it, then mix it up, don't always ask for a down after the sit.

Hope that helps, and I wasn't too late to be of assistance.

Sam.

I taught this one using food only, sorta holding the food for him to follow with his nose until he rolled over on his back and then back into drop position. Now he will do it when i say roll or use the hand signal, but sometimes he does a "faster-than-lightning" one where he just shakes his head and slaps his paw to the ground, as if to say, "see that? I did it, faster than lightning"

:D

• 10 months later...

I have been having trouble teaching this one, as i taught spin and everytime the treat went behind them they would spin from a drop!

OH decided that he would prove me wrong and teach it to them so he tried last night and I held the clicker

He couldn't get them to do it so he had to physically roll them over the first few times with one arm on either side of the length of their body and flip!!!! While he was flipping I clicked for him

3 or 4 times and they had the idea, and we could lure as per the insructions

Yay!!!! It took time but we got there :love: