Throwing Up And Diarrhoea

I came out this morning to a wonderful sight: several small mounds of "throw up" around the house and diarrhoea splatters all through the house. Luckily no carpets or mats (as much as I would love some colourful mats). All dogs, 6 littlies, were speedily shut out of the house, so I could start the ghastly clean up.

I think the one throwing up is Danny (approximately 8 years, 6.5kg, cross breed red spitz from pound early 2002). One with diarrhoea I am pretty sure is Tilly (elderly, blind, hernias, heart murmur, l/h Chihuahua, from pound mid 2005, but happy little soul) as I checked all botties and bedding and the only one which was a little bit dirty was hers.

Danny seems stressed because of a new addition to the household – Rover is a 16 years old toy poodle who was not being looked after by his owner and I have had him for about 8 weeks. I’ve had to pay a lot of attention to Rover as he has had health issues which are thankfully being resolved. Danny could do with losing some weight and he has always been highly excitable jumping around like a lunatic even if I’ve just been to the post box!!

Their main diet is raw dogs meat purchased in large packs from Woolworths. They used to love this and I mix in rice cooked in chicken stock. Occasionally they are given dried food which they are not keen on. I have started to cook the meat which grew from just heating it up to tepid as obviously they weren’t interested in cold meat just out of refrigerator. If they start to get fussy, I will mix a bit of canned food, but very rarely. They also get raw bones from time to time and rawhide chews are always available. I also give them tuna, rice and cheese every couple of weeks. I have been very lax lately on the vegetable front and they have not been getting veggies.

Is there a processed food (wet) which anyone can recommend?

Thanks.

For starters you should really talk to a vet. It could be the diet but there are SO many canine viruses rampant this time of the year its best to check that the dogs are OK health wise.

I raw meat and veg diet are great. I wouldnt be surprised it the woolies food was off though. As bad as it sounds even from the fridge I've had way too many cases of food being off before its use by date from woolies. I would actually find a good butcher and get meat from there instead. At least you know whats in it then.

Plain meat, even with some rice, isn't a complete diet - you'd be better off even using the mulched chook frames (pet chicken mince) from Leonards - and having that as your 'base' but of course it can't be cooked due to the bone content.

Meat with rice doesn't have the correct balance of everything most dogs need...even with the occasional extras...

For starters you should really talk to a vet. It could be the diet but there are SO many canine viruses rampant this time of the year its best to check that the dogs are OK health wise.

I agree. I've been fostering a rescue puppy. I opted to have a Faecal Puppy Profile done. Has shown up Giardia. Giardia can cause diarrehea; vomiting; straining to eliminate; loss of appetite; weight loss and unexplained lack of weight gain .... amongst other things.

Not suggesting it is this. But just an example that a check-up is often worthwhile.

(I'd recommend a "Faecal Puppy Profile" be done on any dog/pup - particularly one coming from a dubious background. It confirms the presence of Parvo, even before symptoms apparent. This was the main reason I had it done on this pup, in fact. It also reveals the presence of worms and, as said above, infestation of Giardia.)

Edited by Erny

yes always check,the packaged meat from any supermarket..especially the meat range which is in the cold pet food section.....alot of those meats have preservatives,,its called sulphu dioxde..which doesnt allow the body to asorb vitamins..especially thamine..which can cause anamia and lots of other things..so if people are just feeding that as a meat source its not a good idea..

Many thanks for the responses. No more meat from Woolworths - going to the butcher for it from now on. I used to use a lot of the chicken mince (minced up frames) from pet food suppliers, but Tilly has an intolerance. However, I am going to go back to getting that as well and just be more diligent and supervise meal times, so she doesn't get any of it. None of the dogs seems to like chicken necks, though, and they are ignored until I pick them all up to throw away. So I've stopped getting them.

There is no question of its being parvo, for those concerned people, thank goodness. My newest addition has been to the vet on numerous occasions in the past 8 weeks for check ups and treatment. He didn't come from the pound, but he did come from a home where he was being neglected, but he is doing really well now. Danny has also been to the vet in the last few weeks for treatment for a mild ear infection.

I have one pack of the Woollie's food left, but that's going in the bin and tonight they are on chicken and rice and veggies.

Thanks again for your concern and responses.

Arolf........I have deep suspicions about a lot of Woollies meat and Deli food..

I recently bought mince there for my Mum and it was red on the top....and grey underneath. They had been using the stuff that makes meat look fresh I suspect. :p

Also, standing at the Deli counter, waiting to buy chicken necks, another customer told the young boy behind the counter that there were blow flies in the fresh fish/seafood display. This boy walked around the front of the display, opened it up, let the flies out, closed it and walked back to serve other customers. We all walked away, vowing to never buy anything from the Deli section again. :laugh::):)

My local butcher does minced chicken carcasses for $1.50 a kilo bag. He freezes them straight away too.

Is the dog that is throwing up also off his food? If so might be pancreatitis. Should go to the vet to have it checked out if it persists.

Is the one that has diarrhoea a nervous dog? My Nelson is a type A personality, any sign of nervousness and he gets the squirts, irrespective of diet. It's a mucousy diarrhoea when nerves are to blame. He had to spend some time in a oxygen chamber at the vet and was left alone for an hour. He disgraced himself by spraying the entire chamber before the vet came back to check on him. I guess we won't be doing that again. Any new additions, changes to environment etc can cause a dicky bowel in my Nelson. He settles rather quickly though. Cordyline berries flowering at this time of year also cause diarrhoea.

I came out this morning to a wonderful sight: several small mounds of "throw up" around the house and diarrhoea splatters all through the house. Luckily no carpets or mats (as much as I would love some colourful mats). All dogs, 6 littlies, were speedily shut out of the house, so I could start the ghastly clean up.

I think the one throwing up is Danny (approximately 8 years, 6.5kg, cross breed red spitz from pound early 2002). One with diarrhoea I am pretty sure is Tilly (elderly, blind, hernias, heart murmur, l/h Chihuahua, from pound mid 2005, but happy little soul) as I checked all botties and bedding and the only one which was a little bit dirty was hers.

Danny seems stressed because of a new addition to the household – Rover is a 16 years old toy poodle who was not being looked after by his owner and I have had him for about 8 weeks. I’ve had to pay a lot of attention to Rover as he has had health issues which are thankfully being resolved. Danny could do with losing some weight and he has always been highly excitable jumping around like a lunatic even if I’ve just been to the post box!!

Their main diet is raw dogs meat purchased in large packs from Woolworths. They used to love this and I mix in rice cooked in chicken stock. Occasionally they are given dried food which they are not keen on. I have started to cook the meat which grew from just heating it up to tepid as obviously they weren’t interested in cold meat just out of refrigerator. If they start to get fussy, I will mix a bit of canned food, but very rarely. They also get raw bones from time to time and rawhide chews are always available. I also give them tuna, rice and cheese every couple of weeks. I have been very lax lately on the vegetable front and they have not been getting veggies.

Is there a processed food (wet) which anyone can recommend?

Thanks.

Arolf - For my old dog I use a loaf, Matilda - all chicken with vegetables. It was originally made in NSW and then the guy moved to Queensland. It is sold at the Woollies supermarket, good value for money.

I personally don't like rawhide chews, as one got stuck in the gullet and had to be surgically removed - natural bones are better. I feed chicken wings, great exercises for the jaw/teeth, I suppose feeding 6 dogs becomes quite expensive.

When I had a number of dogs I used to cook up a big pot of vegies, some diced lamb, rice and water and freeze it in containers. At meal time I used a good quality brand of dryfood and about 3 heap tablespoons of the stew, the dogs loved it, licked the plates clean.

Cheese can give the dogs the vomits and/or diarrhoea and dogs like people can have an off day.

If I buy doggie biscuits at the supermarket, only buy the plain brand, with no food colourings.

If the dog is throwing up and drinking excessive amounts of water, sitting by the water bowl, then I would consider Pancreatis, then I would be off to the vet. Elderly dogs tummies get upset quite easily, if still not well, I would be off to the vet. My elderly gentleman was drinking excessive water and couldn't hold his pee, took him off to the vet as I thought it could be diabetes, instead it was a bladder infection. Now on medication and he is much better.

Cityslicker

Many thanks again for all the responses. Everything seems to be fine now: no more sicks and no more diarrhoea. I have been giving them chicken and vegetables and rice cooked in chicken stock. I have also cut down on the amount of food I give them as they certainly aren't underweight.

I did go to Woollies again for chicken frames (they didn't have any) and the sight of their deli meat was extremely off putting. Dried, discoloured and overpriced. I rarely buy anything there for myself, so I will also be going elsewhere for the dogs' food.

Hopefully we are back on the straight and narrow.

Now to concentrate on MY diet (says she reaching for a sweet biscuit)!!

Now to concentrate on MY diet ...

Oh no! That's no fun! Don't you know our doggies are SUPPOSED to eat better than we do? :laugh:

Glad your pooch is ok, Arolf. It is always a worry when they exhibit signs of being unwell - especially when they are young.

Hi Arolf,

We buy human grade steak from the supermarket, never pet mince. I'm not talking eye fillet here, just any cheap cuts of steak they have on sale. We've found this is usually cheaper than the so called dog meat or even human grade mince. Also when buying steak for ourselves we keep all the trimmed off bits aside and freeze it for the dogs too. We normally add rice or potatoes and some veggies to this.

My boy can't have chicken either as it sets off his IBD, leading to vomitting, Diarrheoa, and weight loss. My boy weighed only 18kgs at his last vet checkup, at his most recent one he now weighs a whopping 25kgs (he's a 2yo Collie Rough). He's doing so well on his new diet we have to cut his rations back me thinks.

We also feed a premium kibble in the mornings, not a huge amount just a couple of handfools for brekkie, with a little cheese. We use either Eagle Pack Holistic Duck & Oatmeal or Nutrience Holistic Duck. Not cheap I realise but you don't need to feed a lot of it.

I don't know if your Woolies is the same as our Safeways in Vic but the quality is usally OK and cheaper than the Coles down the road.

Your dogs upset tomies could also be stress caused by the new arrival, it sounds like it's all settled down though which is good to hear.

Cheers,

Corine