I Need Advice Please....

mrsgrumblebum

Hi all, I am relatively new to the puppy thing but I am asking for some assistance. Our puppy last night discovered snails. She was outside plaing then she would run inside then out side this happened a few times then all of a sudden she sitting on her mat like a good girl then I hear crunch crunch, What on earth switched light on to see what she was up to and she had been collecting snails and decided to chomp on them . OMG I thought eewwwee yuk removed them and cleaned her mouth out. She tried it again tonight, but I was outside with her this time, and promptly put a stop to her little antic. So what I am asking is can they harm her in any way, make her sick etc.

I know not to use snail baits or pellets incase she eats that. So if any one can enlighten me I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Hi all, I am relatively new to the puppy thing but I am asking for some assistance. Our puppy last night discovered snails. She was outside plaing then she would run inside then out side this happened a few times then all of a sudden she sitting on her mat like a good girl then I hear crunch crunch, What on earth switched light on to see what she was up to and she had been collecting snails and decided to chomp on them . OMG I thought eewwwee yuk removed them and cleaned her mouth out. She tried it again tonight, but I was outside with her this time, and promptly put a stop to her little antic. So what I am asking is can they harm her in any way, make her sick etc.

I know not to use snail baits or pellets incase she eats that. So if any one can enlighten me I'd greatly appreciate your input.

I can't tell you for sure if snails are toxic, I would think not, since they are pretty bland and moslty eat leaves. Slugs can eat rat poo though and there is some parasite that is carried that way to dogs.

You can get a bowl, put some beer in the bottom, sink into the ground so the snails can get in, they get drunk and can't get out and you can dispose of them that way. You would need to put the trap somewhere the pup cant get to, or get out there first each morning. :laugh:

Wood shavings discourage snails as does potash or ash from your fireplace. Also sawdust, you would need to ensure though that the sawdust is not from treated timber.

Edited by InDogWeTrust

We had our first Christmas Beetle casualty last night :)

I don't know about snails, I think as long as they haven't been baited they aren't toxic as such, a bit gross though isn't it.

Don't worry if I don't beat her to it mine cleans out the kitty litter for me :) Cute as they are dogs are basically disgusting :laugh:

:laugh: Yep, I thought so too! :)

mrsgrumblebum, I'd check with your vet re the possible health issues. Will at least put your mind at ease. On the other hand, you don't know if your neighbours may be using baits, and I can be pretty sure snails wouldn't be too familiar with fencelines. :)

Lilly (my greyhound) used to eat snails if I wasn't quick enough to stop her...they made her *very sick*. :D

Where on earth does anyone have a wet enough garden for snails ATM? :love: Our place is so dry there's no hope of a snail outbreak... :thumbsup:

Back to the topic - I would trap snails and remove them daily (or nightly)...they're not good for a dog to eat...doubly so if anyone in the area is using snail bait. :love:

Lilly (my greyhound) used to eat snails if I wasn't quick enough to stop her...they made her *very sick*.

Lilly would be in the minority... as in VERY rare then. Poor girl.

Where on earth does anyone have a wet enough garden for snails ATM? Our place is so dry there's no hope of a snail outbreak...

It's been raining in Sydney for 2 days. :thumbsup:

they're not good for a dog to eat...doubly so if anyone in the area is using snail bait.

Absolutely, if they are baited BUT... kids have been eating snails for years and the worst they get is a freaked and grossed out mother or sibling who will later use the story at their 21st party. :D

Dogs will eat all sorts of vile things and unless you live in a sub-tropical area it s HIGHLY unlikely that your pup will get even remotely ill from your average, unpoisoned garden snail. They usually have a good crunch, realise they taste like crap or get bored and go find something else to do.

Squish the buggers if you see them but I really think there are other things to worry about than a normal pup doing what they do. :love:

Edited by Cordelia

hi all thank you all so very much for your replies and suggestions I think I will bring it up with the vet as we have our last class at puppy school tomorrow night. But in the mean time looks like I'll be on a snail hunt at night for a while.

One again thank you :thumbsup:

:D

I was wondering the same thing about christmas beatles!

:laugh: Mine LOVES crunching christmas beetles. I tried taking them away from him, but he has just learnt to chomp them down quicker now! Doesn't seem to harm him - extra protein perhaps??

At first Billy would just flick them around with his paws, he would put them in his mouth and he would spit them out because they were still buzzing in there, but now the buzzing in his mouth doesnt even bother him, crunch crunch, yuk :rofl:

I wouldn't worry about fly chasing, but depending upon where you live the snails could be a worry. In some areas snails carry Rat Lungworm and this can be passed on to canines causing paralysis of the spine and may cause death.

Rat Lungworm is a parasite primarily infecting rats but snails eat infected rat poo and if those snails are eaten or licked or their slimy trails licked by canines, the canine can get the disease.

If your vet is on the ball, find out from your vet whether any dogs in your area have ever presented with this condition.

I know it can definitely happen as I know of a case first hand.

Edited by Scales of Justice